Westchester Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = 25-29 F
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a banana and a cliff bar and had a bottle of gatorade. Arrived at race around 6:15. Set up transition area, chatted to friends, watched the elites go off.
Event warmup:

About 5 min of easy swimming
Swim
  • 19m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good race, swam with Michelle the whole time. Felt nice and relaxed. Unfortunately we were in the last wave (11) and waves were only about 3 min apart. I must have swum over at least 20 people. I think my time would have been considerably faster had I been in clear water and did not need to navigate around so many flailing swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

not much
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I got the wetsuit off fine, but I forgot to unvelcro my shoes before the race so had to unvelcro them to put them on. Also stumbled trying to get my socks on and my helmet fell off my bike which caused my glasses tumble about 4 feet from my transition area.

See above
Bike
  • 1h 11m 8s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great bike for me -first time ever averaging above 20 mph (think the course was actually 23.8 -but average would still be above 20). Ate one gel and drank 1/2 bottle of water -not enough. Nozzle was stuck so I had to really suck to get any liquid.

Fix nozzle, drink more, bring drink mixed with electrolytes
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Ok tranisition, could have been faster but much better than T1.
Run
  • 53m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good and was in the lead until about mile 2 when Kathleen surged by me -suprize! Helps when you split a 40 min 10K! However, I do not feel that there were nearly enough water stops and when there were, it was in dixie cups and often smart water -yuck. Needless to say, I became severely dehydrated. Not wanting to walk, I didn't (even though I should have). I started feeling really weak at about mile 5 but was determined to finish. With about 500 yards to go (I could see the finish line -and the med tent -that was where I was aiming) I started to get incredibly dizzy. So much so, I started to swerve off course and eventually fell next to a spectator. She asked if I was OK and I remember saying "yeah, i'm fine" and getting up and continued to run. At about 200 yards to the finish I passed out. I must have been out for some time because when I came to, there was already an IV in me -lots of people around me and it was about 10:45 (I should have finished around 10:30). When I came too, I had horrible cramping in my feet (my shoes had mysteriously come off) and proceeded to puke all over the place. I was very confused and had little memory. The ambulance arrived -they asked if I wanted to drive through the finish line because I was so close -I said no (the race director even sent me a finishers medal) -we were blocking the finish line area. The EMS lady started asking me questions like where I lived, what my phone number was, what day it was and I couldn't remember any of it. Then I started having a panic attack -I was freaking out because I couldn't remember stuff.
When I arrived at the hospital I continued to get treated for sever dehydration. The doctors ran tests and found some weird stuff going on. 1. I had enzymes leaking into my blood stream from my heart. 2. The QT interval on my EKG was way too long.
Over the next 4 days in the hospital I underwent a series of tests. The doctors have 2 hypotheses:
1. I was severly dehydrated and passed out and have a long QT interval
2. I suffer from Long QT syndrome (one of the leading causes of sudden cardiac death in young people) and my heart may have stopped for a few seconds and restarted on its own.

I am now undergoing genetic testing to see if I have LQTS -If I do, it will likely mean no more competitive activity. That's right, no more triathlons, no more swimming. I am praying this is not the case.

I know people say that competing in triathlons can be a life altering experience. This has certainly been the case for me with this race.

Drink more -I hope I have the chance to do this in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Havign an IV does wonders for recovery -I felt awesome the next day (apart from being in the hospital and having IVs stuck in me) and was not the least bit sore, except for the cramp in my foot.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, passing out before the finish! If I had finished, I would have gone about 2:25 -this would have been a best time by almost 20 min.

Event comments:

My post race activities were a little different than most.
Side notes: Kathleen ended up winning the 25-29 AG -you go girl (2:18!!!)
Michelle also passed out on the run -we seem to have a cosmic connection during triathlons (luckily she was fine once she got to the hospital) She would have won the 19-24 AG and kept crying "i was going to go to Alcatraz" to EMS which they found quite disturbing.
I would have would up 3rd in the 25-29 AG had I made it 200 more yards.

Last updated: 2006-04-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: counter clockwise triangle type course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:11:08 | 24.85 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly -lots of uphills for the first half, lots of downhills for the second half.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:00 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: rolling hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-04 4:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Subject: Westchester Triathlon

2006-10-04 5:18 PM
in reply to: #560870

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Westchester Triathlon
HOly Moly! That's terrifying, I can;t even imagine- I am so glad you are now OK- keeping my fingers crossed that all the tests come out ok... yikes.
2006-10-05 12:24 PM

User image

Buttercup

Wow, Megan! That was an awesome swim you had. I love to see times like that!

GREAT bike! And what a frightening finish to your race. Egads!!!

I hope you are well and that the docs find nothing serious.

2006-10-05 1:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Stamford, CT
Thanks for the kind words. Keep your fingers crossed that my docs will give me the OK to do more tris in the future. I should get the go-no go in about a month or so when my test results get back.
2006-10-11 11:35 AM
in reply to: #561749

User image

Veteran
New York City
Woa. Scary finish. I was there with Jose, my wetsuit broke - swam my first Oly swim without a crutch, and I walked/ran the last 2mi. of the run. It musta been the hilly bike course. I need to drink (and eat) more on the bike too. Absoutely terrifying finish for you, I really hope everything turns out well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westchester Triathlon Rss Feed