Event Power
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 49m 3s
Overall Rank = 255/462
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 3:15AM and couldn't get back to sleep. Had a bagel with some peanut butter and prayed for good weather. That didn't work, as I walked out into a monsoon. My wife drove me to the starting line, and we spent about 15 minutes- as the wind and rain shook the minivan- discussing how nice it would be to go out for breakfast. I finally got out of the car and trudged toward the transition area, dodging puddles on the way. I spent some time trying to figure out how I was going to keep by biking and running clothes reasonably dry, while at the same time keeping the transitions efficient. I finally just threw everything in one big bag, deciding I would just figure it out when I got to transition. Not REAL efficient, as I discovered later.. but anyway, I tossed on the wetsuit and headed down to the beach, keeping an eye out for locusts and any other signs of the apocalypse.
Event warmup:

Zip. I walked down to the beach. Briskly, I suppose.
Swim
  • 37m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in the 3rd and last wave
Transition 1
  • 10m 16s
Comments:

This transition was just ridiculous. Everything that could have gone wrong did. My suit was stuck, despite a liberal application of bodyglide. My POC aerodrink fell off the bike, spilling all my water, so I had to return back to the table for more. And it took forever to get my clothes out of the bag and on- it was kind of dumb to try to keep them dry, as they were soaked 30 seconds into the ride.
What would you do differently?:

Everything.
Bike
  • 2h 50m 25s
  • 48 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this is always my weakest discipline, and today was no different. Within the first mile or two, rain was stinging my eyeballs so badly that I really couldn't see the course and was afraid I'd have to stop. Fortunately the horizontal stuff stopped, and there was just the good old heavy, soaking rain to deal with. The course was very nice, and would have been beautiful on a better day. We rode around Lake Montauk, and then did an out-and-back run to the end of the island, which had a terrific view of the Atlantic (what you could see of it). There were tons of flats and other problems along the road; I was very fortunate to have escaped mechanical issues. But the SAG support was great- I was probably passed by one of their vehicles every 5 minutes or so.

There were a few rolling hills, but the wind and the puddles were more challenging. In fact, conditions became so bad that they had to shorten the bike course by 8 miles on the second loop (extremely disappointing for my first HIM, but very understandable).

As I was finishing the second loop, the thunder and lightning began. And I mean right overhead. I was actually very surprised that they let us keep racing, because.. damn.

Nutrition worked well- I had water every 10 min, Gu2O every 15, and a GU every 40.. I think I need to get a few more calories on the bike, though.. more than a sip of the Gu20, in particular. Overall, I was disappointed not to break 17MPH, but I need more time in the saddle.

Ride faster.
Transition 2
  • 08m 54s
Comments:

Another fairly ridiculous transition. I changed socks, took a gel, and had a moment of indecision but decided to use the bathroom.

More transition practice.
Run
  • 2h 01m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

So the run started with the thunder and lightning still overhead, and we were running through puddles that were- no kidding- a foot deep and more in many places around the course. Not the smartest thing I've ever done, to be sure. But since they let us keep going, going we kept.

The run was actually pretty difficult, with some steep hills throughout the course. Though some of these hills led to some really spectacular views, as well. I felt strong throughout, and was reasonably pleased with my pace. I was kind of bummed kknowing that I wasn't completing a "real" HIM because of the shortened bike leg, but what can you do?

My nutrition got kind of random during the run, and I need to be more disciplined in this aspect. By the end of the race I was getting very hungry, and a longer distance would have been tough without more calories.

I didn't cramp the entire race until the last 500 yards or so. It was great- the only place on the course where spectators in any number were present, and I seize up like someone's taken a crowbar to the back of my leg. Fortunately I was able to recover in 30 seconds or so, but it was more excitement than I wanted at that point.

Better nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

I basically threw all my soaked and dirty junk into a big bag, grabbed my bike, and walked to the car. We went right back to the hotel, where I took one of the longest, hottest showers of my life. I should have done more post-race stretching and appropriate eating (not the doughnut I inhaled), as I was sore longer than I should have been.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience at the distance. Not enough time riding long distances on the bike.

Event comments:

Overall this was more of an experience than a race- the weather was so ridiculous that I think it actually worked as an effective distraction from any pain I might have been feeling from the exertion.

I really have to hand it to the volunteers who provided such great support in that mess- they were awesome.

I would love to return on a better day.. Montauk is a beautiful place, and the course is really great.

Last updated: 2006-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:32 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 145/462
Performance:
The swim was pretty enjoyable- it was my first fresh-water triathlon swim, and getting a mouthful of Fort Pond water was much preferable to my big swallows of the brackish (and supremely nasty) Hudson River earlier in the summer. I only had a few minor collisions with my fellow swimmers and was able to sight pretty well, despite the conditions. Although it was a protected pond, we actually had some decent swells due to the weather. Unexpected, but didn't have too much of a negative impact. I felt strong finishing the swim- didn't give it my all to conserve energy, but it felt OK. And probably the driest I would be all day.
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:16
Performance:
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:25 | 48 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Overall: 283/462
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: 2-loop
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 08:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:01:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Overall: 217/462
Performance:
Course: 2-loop
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-04 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
MD
Subject: MightyMan Montauk

2006-10-04 10:15 PM
in reply to: #560999

User image

Expert
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: MightyMan Montauk

Awesome job out there!  To go through that kind of sh*t storm, for that distance, with little experience is amazing.  And the good news is that will probably be the hardest HIM you will ever do.

2006-10-05 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Super job!  Great race report!  You undertook alot on limited training.  I think you did great!  The bike is hard enough without that kind of wind and weather.  And check my run times!  And that's without a preceeding swim and a bike.  Try Hammer Sustained Engerg and Pepetum for the bike.  Works well down here.

Looking foward to your next RR, when I'm sure you'll have things more sorted out.  Then again, anyone with the screen name 'Fenway' can pretty much endure anything!  Wink

Enjoy!

2006-10-05 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Wasn't that the craziest race? Congrats on finishing! I know a lot of people didn't hang in the whole way. And I totally feel the same way about the bike leg... I feel cheated out of doing a  "whole" HIM! But oh well, I think we deserve to call ourselves half ironmen after dealing with the flooded-out streets and typhons.

Congrats again, how about returning in 2007 to see the course in the sunshine?

ps: "probably the driest I'd be all day" in the swim... HAHAHA! very apt description

2006-10-05 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
That doesn't sound like much fun. Good job toughing it out in those conditions. I was thinking of flying up for the race but glad I didn't.
2006-10-05 1:09 PM

Elite

Way to persevere! You are hard-core.

2006-10-05 7:08 PM

User image

Buttercup

What a ridiculously intense experience. Were they loading triathletes 2 at a time onto an ark?

I don't know that I would have persevered. Kudos on your determination (or meshugah) to finish. 

2006-10-05 8:55 PM
in reply to: #562250

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn, NY

Great Race report. 

The conditions were ridiculous. I feel cheated by those 8 miles as well but  hey what's 8 miles between friends? lol

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Montauk Rss Feed