United States
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 52s
Overall Rank = 34/47
Age Group = W45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30. Oatmeal, a banana, and orange juice for my pre-race meal. Warm shower to loosen up and warm up! The race was held about 1 mile from our house.
Event warmup:

The swim was in the high school pool. I could have warmed up but chose to talk to my in laws and my mom instead. My goal was to stay calm and relaxed for my first triathlon.
Swim
  • 11m 50s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very relaxed prior to swimming. I wanted to start out with bilateral 3 breathing but that went out the window after the first 50M. I did unilateral the rest of the swim to my right side. I had to stop twice due to my goggles leaking. She started our wave 5 seconds after we got in the pool and I wasn't careful enough putting on my goggles.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. I was too calm, no adrenaline at all. The whole race was entirely too relaxed. I did freestyle the whole 400M, I was very happy about that.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

The race was not chip timed but I would estimate my T1 time at approximately 5 minutes. My husband had to remind me to hurry up, "this is a race!" I was a little slow getting my socks on (wet feet). I was doing fine until I tried to clip in on the turn out of transition which was also slightly uphill. Ugh, down I went. I can't believe how fast I popped up, I don't even remember unclipping my left foot!

Practice, practice, practice. Sit down to put my shoes on. Act with more of a sense of urgency.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 30s
  • 16 miles
  • 15.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Timed on my bike computer. I had a great time on the bike. My legs were a little cold at first due to the temperature and the fact that my shorts were wet. The bike course was on some of the roads we regularly train on but going the opposite direction made it fresh and different. Passed 6 people from my wave on the bike course.

Pushed it harder. I was a little too comfortable. I was worried about saving something for the run. I will be working on leg strength over the winter (plenty of big chain ring work, squats, presses, and step ups are in my future) and possibly changing the gearing on my bike.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

Most of the approximate 5 minutes was spent walking my bike down the hill into transition. The race director had bikers and runners exiting and entering transition on the same service drive so I opted to be cautious and walk the entire length of the service drive. One fall was enough for the day.

Ride down the drive and unclip like I know how. Walking downhill that far in my bike shoes definitely caused a problem on the run. More on that later. Practice leaving my shoes on the bike and dismounting while moving towards transition.
Run
  • 26m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I managed to run the first mile but shortly thereafter the front of my left leg tightened and my left foot started slapping the pavement. I walked for a short time to try to loosen it up. I am ashamed to admit that this was my first time running after biking. Wow, I couldn't believe how my legs felt. My nice relaxed stride was reduced to a choppy, short shuffle. I think the walk in the bike shoes before T2 contributed to the problem with my left leg. I finally started to feel good at about the 2.5 mile mark. Passed by two people on the run from two other waves. One was the 5th overall finisher who was also the first female.

To state the obvious, do bricks regularly in training. Work on my running speed. I do plenty of hill work during my normal training runs but I should do some interval training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the transition area. Changed shirts, put on my warm up jacket, and packed up my equipment. Waited for my husband to finish. Talked with the first female finisher about bikes, HIM races, and training. She was really helpful and nice to talk to. Ate pizza and had bottled water both provided by the race sponsors.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inexperience and age. You can read about it, talk about it, and observe it but, until you do it you don't know a darn thing (like a lot of things in life). I can proudly call myself a triathlete and can say I learned a lot. I thought I did pretty well for my first tri. I think I will prefer longer triathlons, sprints seem too harried and hectic.

Event comments:

This is a small, local community triathlon that was very well organized and had plenty of volunteers (high school girl's swim team). How cool is that? A small town (population of a little over 6,000) can get over 80 people out doing a tri. Several of the many relay teams were made up of fathers, mothers, sisters, and brothers. I really had fun and plan on doing this race again next year!

Last updated: 2006-10-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:50 | 437 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 0/47
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Shorts and Tri Bra Top
Course: Pool swim in a 25M pool. 6 waves with two people per lane, split lane. The next wave did not start until the entire previous wave was completed. Finishing times were based on wave start time in the pool.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:30 | 16 miles | 15.87 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Very scenic course. Not much traffic. Plenty of variety, some flats, some rolling hills, farm fields, woods, and lake views. Crossed two sets of railroad tracks twice, one set of tracks was very rough. All major intersections were controlled by police.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:26:32 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Course: Run through the residential area near the high school and through a park with views of the wetlands. Flat with only two hills, one just past the one mile mark and one near the finish. Finished with the final 300M on the track.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-07 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Subject: McFarland Family Festival Tri

2006-10-07 4:40 PM
in reply to: #563506

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: McFarland Family Festival Tri

Glad you had fun.  That's what it's all about.

Good job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » McFarland Family Festival Tri Rss Feed