General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
American Fork, Utah
United States
Hilltop Aquatics
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 3s
Overall Rank = 75/142
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Ate some Oatmeal and Toast with PB. Got my stuff ready and headed out. I spend about an hour the night before trying to decide what to race in because it was cold, so I brought a TON of different layers. Didn't end up using much
Event warmup:

Nothing Special. Tried to figure out how to set up the Transition area. Got body marked and walked around waiting for the swim to start. Did one 50 m swim lap about 30 mins before race (didn't realize it was so early).
Swim
  • 08m 18s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Thought I did OK on the swim, but I was a little slower that expected.
What would you do differently?:

I shouldn't have rested as much on the pool end and just sidestoked when tired.
Transition 1
  • 04m 26s
Comments:

Didn't realize I was so slow. I put 2 jerseys on because it was pretty cold. I still have toe clips on my bike, so I put on my socks/running shoes. I spent at least a minute on the socks with wet feet.

I should have run from the pool to the transition area faster. I walked some and could have save 20 seconds there. Socks were hard with wet feet. I still think I will do socks next time, I just need to get them on the first try. I should have had my stuff laid out better so I didn't have to dig for stuff. Still Can't believe it took over 4 minutes!
Bike
  • 38m 58s
  • 11.3 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Did pretty good on the bike, but I caught myself taking it easy on a few sections. I had to keep reminding myself it was a race. I did beat my goal estimate though.

Push it harder. I know I could have done it a minute or two faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Already had running shoes on (used them on bike) so this was easy. I should have been the fastest there because all I had to do was dump my bike and helmet.

Not sure, maybe go faster.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Did better than expected. I felt like I was going so slow, but it was faster overall than my training has been. Took about 5 mins worth of walk breaks and made sure I had the energy to sprint the finish chute.

Drink less. It was cold, so I really didn't need any water. I would like to be able to run 100% of it by next race.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much. Got some hugs from my wife and daughter. Waited around for a long time for the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperience. I probably lost 2 minutes just by not knowing what to do and where the course went, etc. I also had not trained enough at the run/swim distances.

I actually did not expect to do as well as I did. I had almost no trouble finishing this race. Walked a few minutes on the run and took a break on the pool end in the swim, but overall I think I did great. Dead middle of pack overall and 3rd place Clyde is not bad for a first timer!

Event comments:

It took a little long to get the awards done. I had to stand around for almost 2 hours with tired legs waiting for my medal. Lots of people left right after the race because it was cold. Maybe they could have done the adult awards before the kids race?

I thought it was a fun race and the actual racing was very well organized and the volunteers were great. Everybody was so nice. I will most likely do this race again if they have it next year

Last updated: 2006-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:18 | 300 meters | 02m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 109/142
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:26
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:38:58 | 11.3 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 71/142
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Pretty steep uphill the first couple miles of the course. We had to make 2 laps, so I was more ready for it the second time. The back stretch was nice and steady gentle downhill so I could almost make up for the hill climb.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:08 | 03 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 77/142
Performance: Good
Course: short section of the bike course but they made sure to leave the killer hill in. I had to walk most of the hill because I was dead.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-08 1:02 AM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
Subject: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon

2006-10-08 1:50 PM
in reply to: #563687

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon

CONGRATULATIONS TRIATHLETE!

Great job on a first race!  Was great to meet you.  You did super -- Glad you decided to do the race!   Keep it up!  I expect to see you at more races in the future, including the Turkey Tri in November!

GREAT JOB!

2006-10-08 11:34 PM
in reply to: #563863

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

Great race!  Don't sweat the transition time.  You'll pick up several minutes on the next tri just from having been through it before. 

I hear you on the late awards.  That's a tough one though, because we don't actually have final results until a good 15-20 mins after the end of the tri, but we can't give them out at that point because the kids race is in progress.  Maybe next year we'll do the kids' race first and start the adults afterwards.  But then we have the kids out when it's colder on the course.  Too many decisions!

You should hook up with Brappleye3 (Billy) sometime.  I'm not sure if you met him at the race.  He lives near you and trains with us sometimes, but I'm sure he'd appreciate having someone near him to train with.

Good luck with the training, and shoot me a PM if you ever need anything.

-Dave

2006-10-09 9:06 AM

Nice job on your first race. I'm pretty sure you and I were trading places back and forth the last 3/4 mile of the run--you ended up beating me...I was the old guy with the 46 on my leg! Your times will only improve from here!
2006-10-09 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Go you! Congrats triathlete!
2006-10-09 9:48 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Great job on your first tri. Also, looks like you learned a few things like we all do at our first (and subsequent!) tri's. Congrats!

2006-10-09 12:04 PM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
HOLY COW! Look at you go, incredible!!!!!!!!

GREAT JOB!
2006-10-11 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Congratulations on your first TRI.  You did great.  Sure wish I could be in UT and do a tri.  I lived in Roy UT about 9 years ago and UT still has a special place in my heart.  Heck, I would move back there in an instant!!  Again you did a fantastic job.  I'll bet you get hooked like I did
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Fork Splash n' Dash Triathlon Rss Feed