General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm a virgin at this Triathlon thing... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-08 1:20 PM

New user

Subject: I'm a virgin at this Triathlon thing...
But I want to give it a try. I've been to the bookstore and picked up a couple of "training" books written specifically for Triathletes and have started reading them. Just moved from Maryland to Florida and have the greatest Bike/Running trail that runs right behind my house. My biggest fear is the running. I can WALK forever - did "100K in One Day" (62 miles in 20 hours) three times and have done the Avon 3 Day Breast Cancer walk. I can walk, but have never been a runner. Any of you "experts" have advice as to how to best ease in to this running stuff??? My goal - be ready for the Danskin Triathlon next May in Orlando. Six months should give me plenty of time to get ready, right????

Becki in Winter Springs, FL

2006-10-08 1:35 PM
in reply to: #563854

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: RE: I'm a virgin at this Triathlon thing...
WOW!!

back in a bit

but Welcome to BT, Triathlons are great.

WOW!! 20 hours of walking (20 hours of anything is great). This was my first season and I have had reconstrucive knee surgery on both knees. I started training by walking - up to 6 miles then when jogging was comfortable. i would start with 5 min walk with 1 min run and continuously as comfortable started to balance these out and eventually run more that walk. i still cannot sustain a full 5 mile run, but have done a few training runs with 95% run adn 5% walk. A few marathoners explained a 9 min :1 min ration of run:walk and how it is easier on the knees and saves energy.

But once again, welcome aboard and have fun!!!!!!!!!!
2006-10-08 1:44 PM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Welcome to BT I have those books as well and they are very helpful but I find the advice and help here to be even more helpful check out the injury and nutrition forms and don’t be afraid to post a question. 6 months should be plenty of time to get ready for a sprint I took 4 months and was able to finish in a reasonable time. Start slow and build up and don’t forget recovery weeks. As to running you don’t need to run the entire distance, start with a run walk plan run till ya need to stop then walk till you have your breath back then run repeat as needed to reach 3 miles. Good luck and don’t forget doing anything is always better than doing nothing (a 5 min workout is better than a 2 hour sit)

Edited by CBarnes 2006-10-08 1:48 PM
2006-10-08 2:20 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
Congrats on finding the BT site! I really like the Triathlete Training Bible - it has helped me with training and becoming familiar with the triathlon. It's a great book! Keep walking and add in 1-2 minute jogs, then walk - jog - walk...build up slowly so you don't get overly fatigued or burn out. Six months is definitely enough time!
2006-10-08 6:10 PM

User image

Regular

Go Girl!! Running is not to hard just take a break every however long and start again.

Your realy going to like this site.

2006-10-08 6:52 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

If you pick up the one of the training plans here, say maybe the 12-16 week sprint plan, you will have plenty of help.  Follow that and you will see that it is pretty easy.

That was where I started in Feb or March, I finished my first tri on May 21.  I did 5 more over the summer, and a half marathon as well.  So you can do it, just put it down on your priority list.

2006-10-08 7:46 PM

User image

Champion

Welcome, welcome.

62 miles in 20 hours!?  That reminds me of the Stephen King story "The Long Walk".

Six months should be plenty of time to get yourself ready for your first tri.  There are a number of great workout programs here on the BT site.  Check out the one that is most comfortable for you and follow it closely.  Having your workouts written out will certainly help to keep you on track.

Good luck in your training, and don't forget to log your workouts so we can all keep an eye on you. 

2006-10-09 12:35 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah I went from couch to marathon in about 6 month so if you already hjave 100k fitness I am sure you can do it. I am only 50k fit and I did my first tri with really no training except my running. When I did my 50ks I think I only ran about 20 feet of it. Also when I say couch I mean I could barely walk a 15 min pace for 4 miles before getting exhausted. I am sure you can make it. Remember walking is ok in training /racing. In fact running it all is not always helpful. I did a walk/run for my last marathon. I walk pretty much all of it and ran very little just to keep my pace on course. I finished my marathon at my 3rd fastest time ever. Why did I do so much better than those other results? simple more gas in the tank at the end so I could keep up the slow pace and I never burnt out. My pr marathon I ran the first 18 miles but last 2 miles were so slow I still prd but came in alot latter than I wished.
2006-10-09 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta

Sounds like you live in a great location.  Re getting into running - # 1 make sure you have a good pair of running shoes and moisture wicking socks.  Other running apparel as you can.  Get out there and start with a light jog.  If you tire quickly do not despair - many runners start by doing 1 minute of running/jogging, followed by 1 minute of a brisk walk.  Repeat for 10 sets.

Do this a few times a week and then a couple of weeks later push it to 2 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of brisk walking.  Keep doing this adding 1 minute to your run every couple of weeks.   Do this up to 10 and 1's. 

Welcome to BT.  Check out the log feature and keep track of your workouts in there.  It's a great tool.

2006-10-09 5:13 PM
in reply to: #564637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Marietta, GA
I second the walk/run technique.  It works without destroying your knees!  Before you know it,  you'll be running the entire leg of the sprint!
2006-10-10 9:42 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Welcome aboard!!!  Sounds like you already have a good endurance base.

My wife and I just started the couch to 5k program 2 months ago and can't believe how far we've come.  We just got new bikes and found a swim coach to help us out for a few lessons.  Totally exciting stuff!  Our first tri should be next March here in NC.  Based on our progress in the first 2 months of our training, you'll be fine in 6 months. 

Post your logs, chat, ask for help, etc.  This site is great and I've already found lots of people to help us out.

2006-10-10 11:26 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-17 6:30 AM

New user

Hi Becki I'm Joe. I am also new to tri-ing (is that a even a word.) Anyway I live in Maitland which is right down the road from Winter Springs. I've finished two sprints in the last couple of weeks and I am hooked on triathlons. Are you just ramping up and beginning training for next year or are you going to do a race soon? I am doing the sprint in Clermont this weekend. If there are any questions you may have (one rookie to another) I'll be happy to try to answer them for you. Talk to you soon. Joe
2006-10-17 4:02 PM

Expert
searching for the elusive runner's high!
Welcome to BT and don't worry...we were all virgins at one point! LOL

Your walking experience is AWESOME and you will do fine with the running portion. Heck, you probably walk faster than some of us run!! I agree with the other posts that you should start with the walk/jog strategy and before you know it, you will be running.

By the way, no one said you HAVE to run. It is perfectly fine to walk and it is great b/c it is the last portion of a tri so you don't even look suspect!

Enjoy the site and ask questions if you have any.
2006-10-19 9:10 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Welcome and have fun LOSING IT
2006-10-19 9:14 AM

Champion
Wisconsin

Awesome, we like virgins!

Kidding. Sort of. If you are used to being on your feet for 20 hours, you will ease right into this, but just take it slow to avoid injuries.  Go for a 45 minute walk. When you feel like it, 5 times or so during that time, just jog for a minute.   Do that a bunch of times, then slowly start to increase the run chunks, and before you know it, you'll be running. Also, MANY people walk the whole leg of the Danskins. I have done 3 Danskins, and the atosphere is way mellow.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm a virgin at this Triathlon thing... Rss Feed