GA Multisport Productions
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 07m 54s
Overall Rank = 539/606
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 54/54
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00. Ate a light breakfast of a bagel and a couple of protein shakes. Got gear together and woke up the support crew, a.k.a. the wife and kids. Loaded up the bike and set off for the hour and 20 minute trip to the race location.
Event warmup:

Only real warmup was the walk from the parking lot to the TA. Probably should have allowed time for some warmup as you may see later in the report. Will have to plan that for future events.
Swim
  • 11m 21s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim set the tone for the whole race as it usually does. Wetsuit felt snug before I started and I thought that was how it was supposed to be. Hadn't practiced with the wetsuit. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! As the swim wave was released, began swimming and tried to get into stroke. Heartrate was exploding due to something, probably adrenaline, excitement, etc... As I got going, I realized that I could not get a good breathing pattern or volume of breath. Thank God it was not far to shallow water and I got over there and tried to catch my breath. Realized that the wetsuit was the constricting factor and quickly called for my wife and took off the wetsuit and threw it to her on the shore.

Got back out to the deeper water and tried to begin stroking and breathing but the damage was already done. Struggled through the remainder of the swim and got to the finish. Walked from the swim finish to the TA and tried to calm the heartrate and get my breathing under control.
What would you do differently?:

No wetsuit until I lose some more weight and would swim a little warmup to try to acclimate to the water.
Transition 1
  • 05m 31s
Comments:

Incredible hill leading from the swim finish to the TA. Despite that, it was a decent transition considering my problems with the swim.

Nothing really. Purposely took my time still trying to get my breathing and heartrate under control but to no avail.
Bike
  • 58m 13s
  • 13 miles
  • 13.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off from the TA and was still trying to get breathing under control. Heartrate seemed to be dropping which was good but still couldn't effectively breath. Course was fast and good on the decents, flats and slight uphills. However, I died on the uphills. Didn't have to dismount anywhere on the course but I was real close a couple of times.

More training. SCT doesn't do courses like this justice.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

This is one of the areas that hasn't really changed much in 18 years. Took my time again to relish the moment. Wife took some pictures.

Nothing. Will try to work these transition times down over the next year.
Run
  • 50m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 16m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was pitiful. I walked about 1/3 of the run portion. Suffered from severe shin splints and calf cramps. Tried to run as much as I possibly could. Oh well, more training during the off-season. This is the area that I am going to really concentrate on during the winter.

More training. Need to get some help from somewhere.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and looked around for the post-race festivities. Got my t-shirt and saw some of the North Atlanta Multisport club folks. Talked with them awhile and then went for some streching and massage. After the massage, went with my "support crew" and got a little refreshment. One slice of pizza, couple of bananas and a couple of slices of watermelon and some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

How long have you got....training, training and training. Obesity, nutrition, etc...

Event comments:

Good event. I understand that GA Multisport puts on some of the best. I hope to participate in more.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:21 | 400 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/54
Overall: 0/606
Performance: Bad
Suit: Quintana Roo Shorty John
Course: Point-to-point starting way down the beach and coming back toward the TA.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:31
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:13 | 13 miles | 13.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 53/54
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course. Good combinations of slow, long hills and good fast decents. Didn't like the fact that the back roads weren't closed off. Had a number of cars that came up behind me and made me nervous. There were too many participants for the cars to be there and try to get by us.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:43 | 03.11 miles | 16m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 54/54
Course: Realitively flat course with a few small hills with one big exception. The outgoing hill and incoming hill to the TA was a severe steep but short hill (thank god).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-08 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Subject: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2006-10-08 8:10 PM
in reply to: #564048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Great job Mike!  Cute support crew.  We'll hit it again in the spring.
2006-10-08 8:21 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
awesome job- love the pics! Good luck next ri season. 
2006-10-08 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Regardless of what you say, you did great!  I have realized that this whole thing is a total learning experience...a perfect race can be hard to acheive..you never know what might happen.  Like when my chip came off today, I didn't plan on that, but it did, you know??

This winter you should try to ride some at Kennesaw mountain.  It's a total pain in the butt, but it's good practice for hills.  I'm going to get over there more since the SCT can do much for hill work.

Good luck this coming weekend, I secretly wish I was doing that race now!  Oh well, have fun for me! 

2006-10-09 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
You did GREAT! You should not be so hard on yourself, I hope you can take some pleasure in your accomplishment! You've got the whole rest of your life to see the times drop! So enjoy every moment!

Edited by TBZ 2006-10-09 6:54 AM
2006-10-09 10:04 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Way to get back in the saddle Mike! Think of this as the beginning of the journey back.

2006-10-09 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Commendable job out there!  You have to start somewhere...and I assure you that you are ahead of many who have been tri-ing much longer.  Keep practicing...and throw in some hills (Stone Mountain) and you will be a force next year.  Again, congrats on a great race!!!
2006-10-09 12:05 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on the finish. Every tri is an experience. Sorry you had such problems on the swim. It is great that you're getting back into triathlons after so many years. I hope to see you at some races next year!
2006-10-09 2:48 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Hi Mike.

Your RR sounds a lot like my first and third races: HR through the roof, inability to catch a full breath, chest constriction ... I too thought it was the wetsuit and then, in retrospect, found that it was because I went out too hard + did not breathe often enough for the first 50 yds.  I was then in an oxygen deficit situation while still trying to exercise ... ugh!

Perhaps that is what might have happened to you?

Regardless of the swim difficulties, you handled it great!  Overcoming a huge obstacle like that and going on to complete the race is the mental toughness that folks talk about in triathlons.

See you at the next NAMSC meeting.

2006-10-09 7:45 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
I think you did an awesome job.  I did most of my bike training on the Comet, too, and it was definitely not enough for that bike course.  Lessons learned   Great job!!
2006-10-10 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
I think you did a great job - you're are officially a triathlete again! Remember that for your first race back, your goal was to finish - and you DID!! Now you have a measuring stick for your upcoming training and future races - great job pushing through!  Congratulations!!

2006-10-11 5:22 AM

Veteran
Snellville

Just got a chance to read your report.  Great job!!.  On my last race my heart rate got up too high and I could not seem to get it under control the entire race.  Your times will improve as your fitness level increases. 

2006-10-11 6:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Way to make a comeback! Great job Mike - way to see it through. Cya at the next meeting.....

Ant
2006-10-11 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Mike - it was great to meet up with you after the race and to meet your wife and girls.  Too cute!

I know that you were a little disappointed on Sunday, but I hope you know that you did absolutely awesome.  We talked about the sense of accomplishment one can get from doing tris and I hope that you still have it!  Thanks for hanging around for the awards.  Go and rock Destin this weekend!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed