General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series 2006 - Raby Bay Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Queensland Tri Series 2006 - Raby Bay - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brisbane, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 54m 35s
Overall Rank = 218/643
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/73
Pre-race routine:

Trained solidly (solidly for me that is) through the week leading up to this race and didn't feel totally rested and wasn't sure if that would impact on me today. My major goal at this stage is Noosa so I didn't want to lose valuable time resting for this race.
Event warmup:

My wave was one of the last ones to start so I got to watch just about everybody else go around before I started which was kind of nice and strangely relaxing. I jumped into the water feeling ready to race with about 2 minutes to to go which was just enough time to through my arms overs a few times and warm up.
Swim
  • 08m 1s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I hung onto a marker buoy while waiting for the start so I didn't waste energy treading water and with 20 seconds to go I swam into a clear spot and waited for the gun.

I managed to stay out of the main pack most of the way round and therefore had a fairly comfortable swim. When I got out of the water and looked at my watch I was glad to see 8 minutes as this was the fastest I had swam at Raby Bay.
What would you do differently?:

It all went well, most happy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went well as I only had to put on my helmet and glasses. I was going to put my number belt on too but at the last minute I decided to wait until T2.

I think I passed quite a few guys in T1 so I'm very happy.
Bike
  • 30m 25s
  • 15 kms
  • 29.59 km/hr
Comments:

This was the first time I had ridden this course (the bike course has changed since the last time I raced here) but I just went as hard as I could. I was trying to equal my 33kph average that I did at a duathlon a couple of weeks ago but there were a few more hills on this course that weren't going to help. I got down on my profile bars at every opportunity which I think again helped me ride fast. They came in handy against the headwind we had on the hills going out and coming down the hills on the way back.

I rode as hard as I could and although I didn't get the 33kph average I was aiming for, compared to other competitors in my age group, it was a fast ride which is what really matters.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I forgot to pull my feet out of my shoes and only remember when it was too late. I managed to undo my shoe straps but ended up with one foot out of a shoe and the other still in my shoe but unclipped from my bike. As i jumped off my bike I stopped and pulled off my remaining shoe and carried it with me through T2.

The shoe thing was a bit silly and I thing I was getting ahead of myself, thinking about the run before I had finished my cycle. Hopefully I learn from this mistake and don't make it again.
Run
  • 16m 9s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 02s  min/km
Comments:

I ran as fast as I could, it's as simply as that.

I ran thinking of the training I have been doing with the running group and concentrated on running flat out for the full 4k's.

It's more about "what would I continue doing" and that is still keep running with my running group. The speed work sessions I am doing are paying off big time in races.

I don't think the time for my run is quite right as it seems a little fast. I clocked it on my watch at 16:54 which is still very fast for me and I'm still extremely happy with the time.
Post race
Event comments:

I'm thrilled with my race today and I really enjoyed it. It's great to see that my training is paying off with my times improving.

I'm feeling motivated to continue training hard and I'm excited about the upcoming tri season. Bring it on!!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:01 | 400 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 48/73
Overall: 409/643
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangle course of 400 meters
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 22C / 72F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:25 | 15 kms | 29.59 km/hr
Age Group: 22/73
Overall: 192/643
Wind: Headwind
Course: 3 laps of a hilly 5k loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:16:09 | 04 kms | 04m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 49/73
Overall: 236/643
Course: 2 laps of a 2k loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 2:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series 2006 - Raby Bay

2006-10-09 5:18 AM
in reply to: #564193

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gatorade Queensland Tri Series 2006 - Raby Bay

Sounds like a great race and it looks like you are getting in great shape for Noosa!

I can't believe you guys are racing already, there won't be any Tri races down here for it least another month.

BTW, I ran the Melbourne Marathon on Sunday - race report coming soon!

2006-10-09 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane

I'm getting a small bit nervous about Noosa, it's a fun but demanding tri. 

Yes, we are very lucky in the Sunshine State. The tri season is in full swing here with at least 2 tri races in every month now until about April next year, we are truly spoilt for options.

I'll keep an eye out for your marathon report.

Paul

2006-10-11 12:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Freaky, I think I was actually very close to Raby bay on Sunday!

Fast times Paul, you must have given your all on that run.
Looking great for Noosa!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Queensland Tri Series 2006 - Raby Bay Rss Feed