Lake Lanier Island, Georgia
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 10s
Overall Rank = 60/549
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/54
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30. I live about 12 miles from the race site so I arrived with my McDonald's coffee and Clif Bar breakfast in plenty of time. Set up my transition area, stretched and ran a little.
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I experienced a panic attack at the beginning of my Timberman HIM swim just 6 weeks ago. It appears that this race director was unable to gain lifeguard support as the course was changed to run along the shoreline. We were directed to stay to the right of the buoys which would put us along the shoreline. I started out closer to the buoys while the "fast" swimmers seemed to stay closer to shore as it might have been a bit shorter. There was very little traffic out by the buoys and I had the best swim yet of my 5 triathlons.
What would you do differently?:

I slacked off on my swim training after the HIM as I knew that this would be a wetsuit legal swim and I could "get by". You will note that I finished 1 spot off of the podium - I paid the price for being lazy!
Transition 1
  • 03m 38s
Comments:

There was a run up a pretty steep hill after getting out of the water. Most everyone was walking and I tried to keep a steady run cadence up the hill. When I got to transition I took off my wetsuit and lost time there. I have yet to master the art of getting the darn thing off.

Practice getting out of the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 40m 34s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

My plan was to go out hard on the bike and try and survive on the run. I rode the bike course the day before and knew that it was relatively flat and not too technical. I passed many people in the wave in front of me and I was only passed by a couple of people (one was in the wave behind me). The race advertises the bike as being 13 miles but my bike computer had it at 13.5. Also, there was a 13 mile marker - pretty funny to see that on a 13 mile course. I attempted to average 20 MPH so my pace above factors in a little longer course. I never saw anyone in my age group so I started to think that I might be doing OK. Because I was not passing anyone in my age group I kinda settled in. I wish now that I had pushed myself a little harder.

Push a little harder - especially after learning that I missed the podium by 24 seconds.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

This was my first transition where I truly felt that I could not have gone any faster. I did not hesitate at all and was out on the run in no time at all.

I may have gained a few seconds if my lace locks were a little looser. It took a few extra seconds to get my running shoes on.
Run
  • 23m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

A strong run. Running is my background so I was pretty pleased with this time. I am probably capable of running a quicker 5K but after pushing it on the bike I am pretty happy. I passed many people and no one passed me.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the family and watched some folks finish. We watched a 10 year old boy come in and it was motivational to my 6 year old son. Turns out that this kid finished 4th in the Under 19 age group. Pretty unfair that a 10 year old has to compete against college kids - geesh. Had some of the grub and headed home. I knew that I had a good race but never believed that I would finish in the top 10 in my AG, never mind 4th.

Event comments:

I would say that this was pretty organized for an inaugural race. The swim should have life guard support and I had to go to the timing company website to get the results this morning. The bike course was more than 13 miles and the run course was advertised as "very fast out and back flat terrain ..." but the truth is that it was rolling hills. Other than that it was well organized.

Last updated: 2006-10-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 400 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/54
Overall: 0/549
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Point-to-point close to shore
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:34 | 13 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/54
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:16 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/54
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 11:16 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2006-10-09 12:21 PM
in reply to: #564473

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Congrats on a great race. Sorry you missed out on the podium! I competed in the Acworth Women's Tri put on by GA Multisports and that race also had a 13 mile marker on a "13 Mile Course"! I thought that was weird too!
2006-10-09 2:53 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Forget the hardware, congratulations on being that close to the podium!

Nice solid splits, especially having enough in the tank to finish the 5k with sub 7:30 miles.

2006-10-09 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Killer race! The bike course was .5 miles short according to my computer too. I slacked on my swim training too but it didnt work for meLaughing! Looks like you raced a good complete race. Good luck next season
2006-10-09 7:38 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Wow - you did really awesome.  Congrats on such a strong finish!
2006-10-09 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Wow......nice race. It looks like you put three strong events together into one event. Fourth in your agegroup is a great accomplishment. Especially with the speed of some of the athletes that competed.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed