General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start long runs after Rest and Recovery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-09 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
Subject: Where to start long runs after Rest and Recovery
Hi,

This year I have slowly and patiently built my long run up to 3 hours, using the 10% a week rule.
The comming 4 weeks I have races each wekend, and then I will be taking 2 weeks off as rest and recory for the end of the season.
Is there any general rule to how long your long runs should be once you start training again, based on where you where at the end of the previous season ? Or should I base this on my first big objectives for next year (marathon end march) ?

Thanks for any suggestions

2006-10-09 12:17 PM
in reply to: #564527

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Where to start long runs after Rest and Recovery
If you are planning a mary. at the end of March, that would be my recommendation as a focus.

To maintain the level of fitness you have gained by all your long runs, you merely have to continue to do them at some level. I would not necessarily be out there for 3 hours every weekend as it starts to wear on you over time. Continue to do something like 3 weeks of building and onew week of recovery.

But to be honest, with a March marathon and the fact that you will be done with your "rest" period 6 weeks from now, you are knocking on that 18 week range where most marathon plans are designed around. If your plan is to have a shorter build/peak/race schedule for the marathon, then you could incoporate a little more longer base building as I mentioned above.

Edited by Daremo 2006-10-09 12:18 PM
2006-10-09 12:52 PM
in reply to: #564527

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Where to start long runs after Rest and Recovery

You never plan any training program based on where were you or base on where you would like to be. You always start based on your current fitness level, which is hard to determine right of the bat. After a few weeks off training you will lose fitness but it will depend on how much time off you take.

I would approach my training by starting short an EZ. I would grab one of my easiest weeks from last year/season/training block and shoot to complete 60-100% of the total volume all at very EZ pace depending of how much time I took away from training. To determine my Long Run I would follow Daniel’s approach and set it as a % of the weekly volume for a few weeks just to avoid doing too much too fast. (Probably start near 60 min plus/minus depending how difficult it seems to complete it) After successfully completing that volume/frequency relatively easy for 2-3 weeks THEN I would schedule a TT test to determine current training zones/paces and build from there based on my racing goals.

I might be out my league here hence I would like to learn how Mike Ricci, Kurt or Brett approaches this…

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Where to start long runs after Rest and Recovery Rss Feed