General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm Fat! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-21 1:01 PM

Subject: I'm Fat!
I need to drop about 25 lbs. before my first marathon in March. Any body got any suggestions? I realize this is a general question but I'm so sick of reading all the crap about Fad diets and low carbs. I need more then a diet plan. I need something that makes me accountable. A weekly weigh in and someone to kick my ass if I don't make it. Well at something like that. Anyone lost a bunch of weight recently? If so, how did you do it?

2003-12-21 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2741

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
Subject: RE: I'm Fat!
hi dukey,

i find that a consistent regimen of biking and running have shed unwanted pounds on me. also, don't worry about the high protein, low carb diets, as ron pointed out in his nutrition section, the only true and consistent way of losing weight is burning more calories then consuming in food.

it's interesting because biking has done wonders for me; it's improved my running, i've become more sculpted all over in terms of losing fat, and it's the easier on the body then running.

for instance, running burns the most calories out of all three disciplines, however, after a certain point, you reach a point of diminishing returns and risk injury; that could be 30 min. running, an hour, it's personal. if i were you, i would concentrate on a program of swimming and biking. i read triathlete magazine's complete book on triathlon this weekend, and the author suggested for overweight people, to focus on those two elements before running, since one's joints (knees, ects) may be prone to injury from a heavy top. since biking is relatively easy on the body, start off with 45, spinning at 75-90 rpm, you'll def. feel yourself working hard. also, invest in a heart rate monitor. you could be working out "too hard" where your body no longer burns fat, but carbohydrates instead.
2003-12-21 9:03 PM

New user

Houston, Texas
Dukey, you are the best person to kick yourself in the ass! I have lost what I consider to be a lot of weight - over 20 lbs - and the trick was very low carbs, no sugar and consistent workouts. Often it was tough and my willpower was tested, but each day that you lie down on your pillow having eaten properly and worked out is a victory. It takes a lot of victories in those day to day battles, but without them you will never win the war. My goal is to get to 220 at least which is the weight that carried me through some low level college sports (Division III). I have approximately 45 pounds to go. The goal will be accomplished. With that said, I have no battles planned until after Christmas!

Chad
2003-12-22 2:12 AM

User image

Expert
England
For what it's worth, I'm no expert but here's my recent experience....

On Oct 1st I got back from a business trip from the US and found myself weighing 192lbs/21% body fat (6'0" and average build) and feeling fat and a little wobbly! Having never dieted and being a regular'ish runner i decided to just reduce the main source of my calories which I decided was carbs, as i already carefully watched general fat intake in my diet. I simply reduced the amount of pasta, rice, bread and potatoes while increasing substantially all veg, salad and fruit intake and actually increased the healthy fat intake slightly as well. I have switched to wholegrain/wholemeal versions wherever possible and eat at least as much quantity wise as ever - I never allow myself to get hungry!

As of yesterday, 173lbs and 16% body fat.

I've also increased my training slightly as i decided to do some sprint tri's next year but that is really only a few 20 min swimming sessions over the last few weeks. As I increase my training over the next few months I'll also increase my carbs gradually as well to meet my needs. I don't think this is 'faddy' and look at it as just working with the equation of "calories used < or = calories consumed" to lose or maintain weight. Calories have to be reduced from somewhere and if you watch your fat intake anyway that only really leaves carbs or protein - and most of your diet is likely to be carbs anyway, so this is a simple way to start. The foods I mentioned above are packed with calories so a simple reduction in those will have a immediate effect on your intake and by eating more veg & salad etc (relatively low calorie) you can keep yourself 'full' for less calories consumed.....

I would also suggest a positive goal around something you can achieve rather than a negative goal around a weight to lose eg training volume/times/distances etc as these are more within your control to achieve and will likely lead to your weight loss anyway rather than a negative goal to 'lose' something which at best is dependant on a lot of other factors to achieve. It's easy to get very frustrated one week when you step on the scales and nothing's changed but if you know you achieved your goal of a little extra road time/30 mins in the pool etc that week then you are likely to be more motivated. What is driving you to attempt your first marathon - challenge/health goals etc - that sounds like it would be a positive goal to focus on rather than just weight loss.

Good luck - I'd like to hear other's experiences.
2003-12-22 6:55 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Northern Va/Metro D.C.
dukey,

after reading other's experiences which have had amazing results, i'd like to point out that decreasing carbs for someone training for an upcoming marathon might not be the most sound choice.
2003-12-22 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Dukey, congrats on deciding to run a marathon. I would not recommend a very restrictive diet while training for a marathon. Your body needs it's nutrients in order to recover. I definitely don't recommend a low carb diet while training for a marathon either. You can reduce calories and eat better foods by cutting out processed foods, sugars (fructose,etc) and bad fats. Body for life has a good nutrition plan for people in training, but add more carbs and less protein since doing marathon training. The books I ahve read on running strongly discourage restrictive dieting during heavy training or you risk injuries and over training from lack of nutrients needed to recover. Try to lose between 1.5-2 lbs per week. (You may have a bigger drop of 5-10lbs first week of eating clean due to water drop). Also, drink lots of water. Shoot for close to a gallon a day while training a lot. Since you feel you are too heavy for all the running, take the great advice above and do some cross training. While training for a half marathon, I ran 3 days a week and bike 3 days a week to prevent injuries and reduce the stress on legs.

2003-12-23 9:40 AM

New user

Washington DC
Dukey-

One way to help reduce weight while running hard and getting ready for an ultra or a marathon is to eat less, but more often. Instead of the 3 meals a day - graze and have 5 smaller meals. Snack on carrots during the day. I just go to the store and get the small carrots and keep and bag with me, snacking on them through out the day, I don't feel as hungry.

Steve
2003-12-28 6:46 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I have been steadily losing weight by following the Body for Life plan. You eat several small meals a day, the author gives you instructions on working out. I don't follow the workout plans religiously, he only wants you to do endurance work 3 times a week. I sometimes double that. But I did find the instruction in terms of eating was great. There is a website but it doesn't explain much. Get the book from the library because it is expensive. Almost $30.00, the author is Bill Phillips, Body for Life.

Mike
2003-12-29 6:49 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
I know your not looking for "fad" diets, but here is my two cents. Last year I read Picture Perfect Weight Loss by Schipero (sp?). He is the guy that got the New York Fire Fighters in shape just before 9/11. I lost 20 lbs for 1 year with no workout. As far as I was concerned the book was sort of like shock therapy. It would compare different types of meals based on portion or calories etc. and suggest making an educated decion. In the end it is basicly calorie counting with out the math. The on big thing I liked about this book is it was well balnaced meals. Nothing was taboo. It did lean twards vegitarian but did not insist on it. It is hard to explane, but pick up the book and flip though it you will either be amazed or discusted in 2 minitues. If you like it read it. :-) Hope this helps a little. Also as Chad said you are your best motivator. All I have to due is look at myself in the mirror after a shower to know what I should do. Good luck

Joe
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm Fat! Rss Feed