GA Multisports
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m
Overall Rank = 84/600
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/47
Pre-race routine:

I left my house around 4:15am and drove to the event. I arrived at the parking lot around 5:45am and there were maybe 3 others parked there. Walked to the packet pickup area and they were still setting up. Waited 15 minutes and then picked up my info along with the goody bag. Went into the transition area and began to setup. After everything was arranged, I watched as the masses showed up.....and I mean lots of people.
Event warmup:

Walked the hill between the swim and T1, quite steep. Walked the exit from the bike and did the same for the run exit. Ate a marathon energy bar downed a bottle of powerade (blue) and used the bathroom. Stretched by my transition area to protect my setup. The athletes around me were the nicest folks compared to previous tri's. Usually, everyone is very quiet and they have a defensive/short demeanor. Walked the 1/2 mile to the swim start and listened to the ref review the rules.
Swim
  • 08m 22s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Should not have started so far out in the lake. I actually ended up treading water for about 5 min. My thought was to be on the outside of everyone at the start to avoid the contact (further out = deeper). I did not need to be where I couldn't at least stand. Wasted energy here big-time.

It did not help that I only swam 2 times in the last month. I anticipated this would be the limiter of my race.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more in training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Run up the hill was a great chance for me to pass everyone that smoked me in the swim. Several people were actually walking up the steep grade. I ran knowing that I gave it up on the swim.

I felt rushed, but then again aren't you supposed to rush since it is a race?

Nothing really. I felt pretty good exiting T1, but was glad to get on the bike and get into my rythem.
Bike
  • 41m 35s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 19.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought that my split was better than what showed up on the results based on my PRE (perceived rate of exertion). I went pretty hard on this one. I thought that my training loop was very similar to this course. This one is maybe a little steeper in some of the hills, but not as long as my training route.

Ride more and add intense hill training into my workouts. If I want 21+ mph races on rolling hills, I need to train for it.

Although, the race winning male athlete had a pace of 22mph, so maybe this was a tougher course than I thought.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I felt like this was quicker than 1:13, but the transition area was very long. I was the 4th row in from the bike enterance. I laced up my shoes and slipped them off prior to the race. Thinking that all I avoid having to tie them. Worked pretty well.

Not much.....
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty stiff from the bike. Probably because the cool weather impacted my ligaments on the bike. I read somewhere that if it is below 70 F that you should cover your knees. Anyway, it was painful for the first 0.5 miles. Once I hit my stride, I was OK but still slower than my training. My target race pace was 7:15 or lower, so I was disappointed here. Was able to hit this pace on the last mile, but it took a lot of willing my legs. I ran with a guy for most of the race who was in the 35-39 agegroup. We didnt say anything the entire run, but we were pacing each other. It is kind of neat how that happens in races like these. At the end, I sprinted (after the steep hill) past the guy I was running with and another person in my age group. After all, it is a race and I am competitive.

Not sure. I wanted to run faster but just couldnt. I think it is time to bring back "brick" workouts and throw them into the training mix.
Post race
Warm down:

I had to pee since the bike so I went straight for the bathroom. After that, I kept walking around so as not to cramp-up. I loved watching everyone finish...so much hard training in one place. This race had a great post-race setup. Ate a couple bannanas and grabbed a race shirt...which is really a nice long-sleeved shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Time spent training. I gave this race everything I had and had a great time, but wanted to run faster.

Nothing can beat the feeling after crossing the finish line!

Event comments:

This was a very nice event. I have a feeling that this will fill up quickly for next year. I will sign up again and highly recommend this race to all levels.

Last updated: 2006-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:22 | 400 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 27/47
Overall: 0/600
Performance: Average
Suit: no wetsuit
Course: Point to point along the shore. RD stated that it was changed due to safety reasons. I heard some athletes talking about the fact that the lifeguards were only certified out to 15 feet of water. This explains why we swam so close to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:35 | 13.5 miles | 19.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/47
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a good one overall. Several short climbs but mostly rolling slopes. The course was listed at 13 miles, but several of us showed 13.5 on our GPS devices, so it was longer than advertized. I felt like I passed more people in this race than any previous ones, so I was expecting a better time. Pavement was rough in some areas. One guy in front of me at mile 7 or 8 hit a hole and got a flat. It made me look a little closer at where I was going.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/47
Course: Rolling hills and shaded...not that it was sunny or anything. Pretty nice area actually.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2006-10-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: #564884

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Congrats on a great finish. This was really a fun race and well done for a first time event. The cool air was really making me feel a little stiff too. Good luck next season!
2006-10-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: #564884

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon
Sounds like you had a great race!  I really like the t-shirt, too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed