Set-up Inc
53F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 18m 48s
Overall Rank = 409/454
Age Group = NM
Age Group Rank = 21/23
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday to pick up my race packet and get settled into the room. Met Robin (1 Foot) and Teri (NCTriNewbie) for a nice italian dinner. Went back to the room, watched a little ESPN and crashed early. I always have trouble getting to sleep on the nights before a race. This time it wasn't too bad. I was able to get a solid 7 hrs. Woke up at 5:15a already had everything laid out and ready to go. Dressed and out the door around by 5:40a. Ate a bagel and a bannana in the parking lot before unracking my bike. Hoped on my bike and rode the 1/4 mile to the TA. Set up my gear and was ready pretty early. Tried to meet the BT crew but it didn't really work out. I did see George, Brian, Robin and Teri. My dad and step mom showed, so I spoke with them right before the swim.
Event warmup:

Short jog with Brian to get the blood flowing, then a short 200ish yd. swim while the few waves right before mine went off.
Swim
  • 39m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Completely lost it mentally right at the beginning. This was my first OWS race. I let the initial pack do their thing before I decided to jump in. I took off way too hard, probably trying to keep up with all of the caps ahead of me. This made my first 500-600 yds. exhausting. I was spent and PISSED. I knew exactly what I had done and was trying to figure out how to regain my composure. Fell into some breast stroke, but wasn't recovering fast enough to suit me. I then rolled over to "sweet spot" (for all of you TI'ers out there) and focused on my HR recovery. By the time I made the first turn, I was beginning to find a rhythm and halfway to the next turn I was feeling pretty good. Luckily I didn't have to worry much about being kicked in the face; however, I did wallop a few myself.

Feeling really good about my progress on the swim. Which is extremely motivating, despite the complete botch of the start.
What would you do differently?:

Mentally prepare myself to not to focus on the surroundings as much (i.e. those in front of me). Always remember ....slow is smooth and smooth is fast. (Thanks Edde and Devin)
Transition 1
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

I was suprised that I was able to get out of the wetsuit quickly. I took a little more time to focus on putting on a shirt, jacket, and socks to ensure my warmth. Which turned out to be clutch!

Practice start with shoes already clipped. Be confident in my setup and not double think myself before leaving the TA.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the bike and this is the only leg that I broke my goal. I wanted to come in under 1:30 and I DID IT!!!! During the prerace meeting on friday, the USAT official explained the draft rules in detail which was very educating. I was unaware of how strict the rule are. The one thing the did forget to mention was how to handle a speeding ambulance coming up behind you. So damnit, I was in a race the heck if I'm stopping or pulling over. Luckily there was enough room for him to get by. A while later, I came up on the scene. Several medics were tending to a fallin' athlete. I think there should be a universal hand signal/phrase or something to pay respects to an athlete like that as you pass. Just a thought. I did get a "Go BT" as I was passed by someone climbing. Don't know who he was, and it took me a good 5 mins or so to realize what he said while passing me. A little while later I think he was out of gas, b/c I passed him and didnt see him again. Finished strong.

Drive the course before the race. Overall I was happy with my performance.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Felt slow. Bringing my bike into the TA, there were a herd of like 4-5 elites that were just chatting. Almost ran them over, well I pretty much did sort of push one of them. Don't stand in the frickin' TA to chat! It's bad enough to see you jokers already finished, much less have to dodge them in transition.

Not think as much on the transition. Just do and go.
Run
  • 1h 04m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Fell into the run quicker than I thought. No, Edde, I didn't surge. I was too worried about actually making it to the end. I kept the pace pretty good. Beginning to feel some confidence in my running. Still the weakest part of my race, but we'll work on that this winter.

Try Eddies surge method :)
Post race
Warm down:

It was fantastic seeing Robin, the 'rents, my roommate, and the BT'ers right there when I finished. This was my first race like that and it was frickin' awesome. Ate like 30 oranges...40 bannanas...and socialized with everyone. Took my time getting over to pack my stuff. I loaded the car, saw the 'rents off, and returned to see Teri (NCTriNewbie) come in. She's a big ball of determination and it's very inspiring.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training...just need to build more base. Lack of experience in the OW. All of which will come. I can't wait until next season, to see how much I can improve! This definitely just fed the addiction.

Event comments:

So glad I signed up for it. Although I feel extremely slow, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment having done this distance. Again it just continues to build my confidence that I will be able to do not only a HIM but a full at some point. I'm so stoked. And BT'ers just continue to be so inspiring. Thanks to all of you who were there physically and all of you that have checked up and encouraged me from all over. We're doing this thing, baby!!!

I'll upload pics as soon as I can get them.

Last updated: 2006-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:46 | 1640 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/23
Overall: 401/454
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Triangle shape out in the lake. Start on the beach area and end at the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:32 | 24.85 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 398/454
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills. I thought the course was slightly challenging. Not too hard, but not too easy. Several long steady inclines.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:29 | 06.21 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/23
Overall: 411/454
Performance: Good
Course: Beautiful rolling one loop around the lake. It was definitely rolling. But the golf course, the houses and the water made for nice scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-09 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2006-10-09 10:55 PM
in reply to: #565085

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Nice work, man. You've come a long distance from when we talked in July. I share your excitement for finishing an oly...I think my goal next year will be half iron as well. Have a great off season...I'm sure I'll talk to you over the winter. Maybe we can get another long ride planned.
2006-10-10 4:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Wow, good job man, that is just awesome! Great race! Way to stay positive through the whole race and way to regain your strength after the first part of the swim!
2006-10-10 4:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
that is a great race, particularly to have your first ows. those take a lot of getting used to. Good job.
2006-10-10 5:19 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Yes I gave you a shout and I remember you getting me on one of the climbs. Caught you about a mile from the finish and then watched you go by at mile 1 on the run. You did great on a hard course. Keep up the good work. Judging by the way you were biking those hills I'd say you're ready to tackle a HIM. Keep training hard.
btw it's not me, it's the bike.
2006-10-10 5:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Congratulations on a great race! Way to hang in there through the swim, that was a tough race for your first ows. Great job.

2006-10-10 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member
Good effort to stay focussed on the swim after a poor start. Congrats!
2006-10-10 8:53 AM

User image

Elite
West Chicago, IL
Hey Rocket! Great RR! I'll have to say one of the high points of my day was that giant grin and high five when you passed me when you got out of the water! You're the man!
2006-10-10 9:52 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC

Congrats!!!  Glad you recovered on the swim.  I just found my sweet spot in a TI lesson last night so I can appreciate your thought process. 

Sounds like you had a fun time and glad you finished!  Looks like a great event.

2006-10-10 10:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

Nice race dude! Olympic distance- that's hot! And don't sweat the time... Do you know how little of the population of this country can complete a race like that? You're practically athletic royality.

Sounds like you were really "in it" during the race. Way to get yourself under control in the swim- after the first OWS it's allllllll easy street.

I'm stoked to see pics! Great job again. What's next...HIM? Hollaaa!

2006-10-10 11:42 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Awesome race!  It's harder than you think to get yourself back under control during a race.  The fact that you did it on your first race speaks volumes!!

I was coming up the hill as the ambulance was coming down towards the rider.  I wasn't quite sure what to do either.  I was trying to motivate the people heading out and I hope one of them was you.

Great job on the Olympic finish.  Well on your way to HIM.  I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you or others.

2006-10-11 12:31 AM

User image

Congrats on a job well done, sounds like you had a good race.

Half IM for all next year????
this could be fun
2006-10-11 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
You ROCKED! What a great race!

Thanks for all your support! I was truly touched that you stuck around until I finished...especially when I heard you delayed getting to the free beer and hockey party suite in doing so.

Keep up the training!
2006-10-11 12:51 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

Hi! Great race!! Congrats on an awesome bike. And nice job dealing with your first OWS. You sure did better than my first OWS...

Awesome job on a tough course! 

2006-10-11 3:10 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Awesome race Ryan!  For a troublesome OWS, you did great!  You should read the RR for my first OWS ... it was a far-greater disaster than yours!  I like how you shook it off and finished strong!  Powerful bike, too!  So ... sign up for the White Lake HIM!  It will be my first, and you should do it too!   I love the positive attitude reflected in your RR.  Great job!

Edited by theattorney 2006-10-11 3:11 PM
2006-10-12 3:50 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Ryan, that was agreat report and great race. I have gone through EXACTLY what you did in the water and literally spent half the swim in sweet spot. Keep swimming, it gets better! Hopefully I will see you at White Lake next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed