General Discussion Race Reports! » Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Jefferson City, Missouri
United States
Missouri Department of Conservation
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 75/145
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 8/15
Pre-race routine:

I jogged around alittle with my sweats on, then I stretched a bit. I also had to play around with my daughter some before she was stuck in the stroller for 30-45 minutes. (my wife did the walk part with the stroller and the baby)
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never been in a race before, so I didnt know what to think. I started in the middle of the pack and started out keeping pace with those around me. The first mile was in 8:15 and about 1.5 miles into it, I decided my pace was a bit much for my level of conditioning. So slowed down slightly and decided to keep chugging along . The water stations were at about 1.75 miles and 2.5 miles. Because this was my first, I decided to play it safe and I walk at the water stations, the second of which i stood in place for about 5-10 seconds. In retrospect, I probably wouldnt do that again because I did lose some time, but this was just to see what I could do at this point, so I wasnt taking it really seriously
What would you do differently?:

I wouldnt walk during the water stations and I would eat a better breakfast
Post race
Warm down:

walked around to catch my breath, then stopped and stretch alittle. I walk around some more to find the 5k walk finish to see my wife and baby come in

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor breakfast, inexperience

Event comments:

The event started about 5 minutes late and they tried to annouce things over a megaphone and you couldnt hear them very well. I dont know how many drink stations you need for a 5k, but I think they only had 2.

Last updated: 2006-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:01 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 75/145
Performance: Average
Course: The course started on the driveway to the park in which it started. The course continued on a few rural roads for the first mile, then it turned onto the Katy Trail, which is a a limestone trail that was converted from and old railroad. We stayed on that for the 2nd mile and the 3rd mile was on a spur that leads from the Katy trail to the park where we started
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk

2006-10-10 12:39 PM
in reply to: #565289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk

Congratulations on your first race!  Way to go!  Nice to have a whole family event like that.  I bet your wife and baby were proud of you.... and I bet the buzz of a race has got you hooked.    Each race is a little different, and you learn something new every time, but they are all such a blast.

2006-10-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: #565289

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk
Good job for a first race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endangered Species 5k/10k Run/Walk Rss Feed