General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Victoria Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Royal Victoria Marathon - Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Victoria, British Columbia
Canada
Royal Victoria Marathon
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 29m 28s
Overall Rank = 3374/4020
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 165/178
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate a bun, had some tea, and walked to the race start.
Event warmup:

No real warmup, just tried to stay warm in the cold rain. Visited the port-a-pottie several times.
Run
  • 2h 29m 28s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 11m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt good today and ran this distance faster than I ever have in training. It was hard to take the walk breaks at the beginning because I felt so good, and it was even harder to take them at the end because it hurt so much to start running again.

The last 3k were the longest and hardest of the entire race because I was really having a lot of pain in my piriformis (right side) and in both knees. And the balls of my feet really hurt, as well as my lower back. I think I haven't done enough running on pavement in my training.

My nutrition and hydration were perfect and I had no stomach issues except some minor stitches which I "blew" away. I took a vanilla Clif Shot every 30 min and followed it up with water. I drank e-Load the rest of the time, but didn't force it down and only drank when I wanted to. My stomach felt much better than when I make myself drink in training, and even at the end I was not bloated at all. I guess that how much you're "supposed" to drink is not necessarily the same as what really works for you.

I did 9-1 run/walk intervals, and the early walk breaks really helped me to keep my pace toward the end. There's no way I could have kept it up had I not stopped to walk at the beginning. I kept taking the walk breaks right up until the end, mostly for the mental benefit, because thinking about when to walk or run was a good mental distraction. It's definitely hard to stop and walk when you're hurting, because it hurts SO much more to start running again than it would have to just keep going. But I really felt a benefit from doing it, so I think it's going to be a good marathon strategy for me.

I didn't really have a time goal, but I was happy to come in under 2:30. At the finish, I was in a good mood and felt good (good but tired), except all the joint pain made it very hard to walk. I was really surprised at how much pain I was in toward the end of the race and after I finished. I guess it just goes to show that you have to condition your joints and soft tissue in addition to your muscles and cardiovascular system.

What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I was pretty happy with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to Serious Coffee downtown (it took me forever to hobble there) to wait for James to finish and meet me. Then we walked home, and I took a nice hot shower. I know, I should have had an ice bath. But believe me, I was cold enough. Took some Traumeel, rubbed my legs with The Stick, and ate a ginormous brunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lots of pain!! And I missed some key training runs.

Last updated: 2006-02-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:28 | 13.05 miles | 11m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/178
Overall: 0/4020
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: Royal Victoria Marathon - Half Marathon

2006-10-10 12:32 PM
in reply to: #565598

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Royal Victoria Marathon - Half Marathon

Congratulations on finishing your longest run! Great job! 

I've found that how much I'm "supposed" to drink is never quite what I actually drink.  Drinking too much during the run always makes my stomach hurt. 

2006-10-10 2:46 PM

User image

Hey Kristi - congratulations on your first half marathon!!  Great news about the lack of mishaps/nutrition issues. 

Now rest.. and rest some more!  And revel in your accomplishment, while you're at it. You did a fantastic job!!

2006-10-10 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Awesome job on your first half marathon.
2006-10-10 6:12 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey you made your goal. Nice work. The Stick is good eh?
2006-10-10 8:45 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
nice job. this was your first? congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Royal Victoria Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed