Set-Up, Inc.
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 50m 36s
Overall Rank = 163/166
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Pinehurst the night before. 1 Foot stayed with me and Tri'nNC was staying in the same hotel, so the three of us had a nice pasta dinner Friday night. Got up at 5:30ish and had a bagel with peanut butter on the way to the race. Got to the parking lot and was going through my usual pre-race checks. Front tire sprung a leak around the valve stem while I was checking pressure/inflation. Replaced the tube and had trouble getting the tire to re-seat properly in the rim...this would come back to haunt me later. Finally got to race site and set up TA. 1 Foot and I looked for other BTers to no avail. Ran into love2tri and her SO on the way to chip pick-up. Got body marked. Met up with Tri'nNC and bobbylamonte at some point pre-race.

I seriously considered more than once just bagging this race. I think between the crappy cold wet weather and the blown tire, my mind and heart were really not in it.
Event warmup:

There was no warming up to be had today. The air temp was in the 50's and it was drizzling. The water was warmer than the air and I paddled around in the water as long as I could before they called my wave to the starting corral.
Swim
  • 55m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first beach start race. I just hung back and started to the back and outside of the rest of the pack. Never really found my groove. Freestyle most of the way except some breast stroke around the bouys. I was really battling with myself throughout the entire swim...why was I doing this today. Another testament to the fact that the body can only do so much if the heart and mind are not there.
What would you do differently?:

Have all of me show up for the race.
Transition 1
  • 06m 2s
Comments:

I knew going in that T1 was going to be long. I brought fleece pants and a fleece top to wear and it took a while to get my wet self into them. Also had full-finger gloves.

Race on a warmer day.
Bike
  • 2h 04m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 11.97 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs were dead going out. About 1.25 miles into the bike, the tube on the front tire started to ooze out the side between the rim and tire...the pre-race problem I had back to haunt me. Fortunately, this didn't pinch or puncture the tube. I stopped and deflated the tube enough to get the tire back seated properly in the rim and re-inflated the tire. Legs were a little fresher after this little break. About two-thirds of the way through I realized that I couldn't feel my toes any longer. My feet were freezing. The hills were tough, but I managed to spin up them okay.

Need to practice changing tires on my bike so I can do it quicker and more efficiently. Toe warmers.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

More trying to convince myself to continue the race. I knew I couldn't finish the run in an hour and the race cut-off was 4 hours. I decided what the heck. If they had to pick me up off the run course, then so be it. Left the gloves and grabbed my hat and a bottle of Gatorade for the journey around the lake.
Run
  • 1h 42m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 16m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked the first mile until I could feel my toes again. Walking through the tinglies was fun. Had the guy in the SAG truck stop me around the 1 mile mark and explain that he wasn't stalking me, he was just going to be picking up the signs and aid stations behind me. I kept expecting them at any moment to say...sorry but we need to take you in. But they didn't. I continued to shuffle down the hills and walk up them. The drizzle started to fall heavier as I went along. Greeted a few golfers as I trudged along. Got tickled at that inner dialog that you have to expect is going along...Golfer - why would anyone run in this weather. Runner - why would anyone golf in this weather.

Run...then run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down?! I was freezing. Cold and wet...a joyful combination. 1 Foot and Tri'nNC stayed around with the crickets to cheer me to the finish. I was grateful they were there. But other than the race director and his crew taking down the TA...everyone else was gone. Grabbed a couple of Diet Cokes, packed up my stuff, and headed back to the hotel for a warm shower.

Don't stay at the Days Inn in Pinehurst unless you have no other option. We had an overall bad customer service experience upon both check-in and check-out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight and overall fitness. I also realized how necessary it is to have your mind, heart, and body all on the same page for events like this.

This was my first Oly and at least I can say I finished. It wasn't pretty, but it gives me a target for next year. I set out this year to complete 5 NCTS events and this was my 5th. I did manage to qualify for the NCTS Invitational. I just don't think I have another Oly in me this year, plus I'm not nearly as competitive as most of the people who will be doing that race.

Event comments:

This is a tough race. The lake is nice and the bike and run courses are challenging. Will I do it again??...I don't know...I'll see how I feel next year when time comes to sign up. Right now I'm just spent and glad the racing season is over.

Last updated: 2006-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:04 | 1640 yards | 03m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 166/166
Performance: Below average
Suit: Danskin TriSuit
Course: Triangular shaped course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:02
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:04:34 | 24.85 miles | 11.97 mile/hr
Overall: 163/166
Wind: Little
Course: Mixture of hills, with some hills thrown in, and a few flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:42:32 | 06.21 miles | 16m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 163/166
Course: Rolling hills around Lake Pinehurst. Road surface was asphalt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-10 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2006-10-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #566175

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
You were so inspiring! Way to hang in there and finish. You did it. Most people wouldve packed up. You may not have been whole heartedly in the race but you were mentally tough enough to overcome the conditions, unfortunate tire situation and that my friend is stellar. Congratulations on finishing your first Oly, and I'm glad I could see you do it!
2006-10-11 12:39 AM

User image

That is awesome and inspiring to read your race report.
You have to be very proud of yourself for sticking it out and finishing. I must say that the friday when it was raining I was hoping that they would cancel the race........... Im glad they didint.
Until next season, happy training
2006-10-11 7:24 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Race on a warmer day. 

LOL!  It was cold and it was miserable, but YOU crossed the finish line!  Congrats.  Sorry that I missed you!  I had my BT stuff on, but it was too busy trying to stay covered up and warm.  

We were at the Days Inn too along with Wakeman.  Gah!  We should have had some brews pre-race to get some extra carbs.  heh heh.

Congrats on your finish on a TOUGH course.  Way to go!!! 

2006-10-11 7:28 AM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Great inspiration. I also seen the golfers looking our way and shaking their heads. Oh well, to each his own. Great job finishing. You are definitely one gutsy triathlete.
2006-10-11 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

You are truely an inspriation!!  You weren't into it mentally, yet you finished your first Olympic and on a crappy day and tough course.  That's says tons about you in my book.

I had the same inner dialogue when I saw the golfers!!

I wish I would have known you were still on the course, I left after the awards ceremony and would have totally gone hoarse cheering you in. 

You have the heart and THAT is what gets you to the finish line.

2006-10-11 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Wow! Triathletes are the best! Thanks everyone!
2006-10-11 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Great job Teri! That was a tough, tough race. It proves how strong you are to persevere through all the negative thoughts and adversity (cold, rain, hills, flats), a lesser athlete would have folded. Way to go! I only wish I had been there to see it.

2006-10-12 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Teri, that is a good race given all that went on. I probably would have called it a day in the parking lot with the tire. (especially since I don't carry a spare) To qualify for the Invitational is great. I would do it, but only if you're heart is in it. Remember too, that the weather had a lot to do with feeling crappy on Saturday.

Great job and great perserverance (i'm sure i misspelled that, but you know what I mean)

2006-10-12 3:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
I did not get a chance to meet you but way to go! Everyone has THOSE races occasionally but you stuck it out. That mental toughness will come back to you in the future! Way to hang in there and congratulations on making the championship!
2006-10-12 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Teri. So many people (like myself) did not even try. Got four races scheduled for next year so I hope to meet you at one of them. Have a good training season.

2006-10-14 10:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-15 12:17 AM

Expert
Raleigh, NC
I had frozen toes as well! I think that whole day had a negative vibe...everyone I talk to said that they were just going through the motions to get it over with. It doesn't happen often, but there will be days like that. Hope to see you again next year, are you going to train at all over the winter?
2006-10-15 11:20 PM
in reply to: #569306

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
chris hughes - 2006-10-15 1:17 AM

• ..are you going to train at all over the winter?

• Oh yeah...I'll keep up with the training and I'm going to make time for some core and strength work. I'll be back next year for sure. I hope to be able to kick my last year's times each year for a while

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed