GaMultisports
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 45s
Overall Rank = 54/549
Age Group = Female 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and made the ~ 1 hour drive up to Lake Lanier. Picked up race packet and chip and set up transition in the dark. I knew a lot of friends from BT and Get-Fit and so I was chatting back and forth with them throughout setup. There was about 2 hours to stall before the start of the race. A little before 8, our group headed over to the race start stopping to share the men's bathhouse on the way over (they only opened the men's, not the women's restrooms). Hung around and tried to stay warm. Chatted with the girls in my group.
Event warmup:

None. We were told that the water was warmer than the outside air or sand, but I didn't want to find out.
Swim
  • 06m 29s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined myself up in the very front towards the buoy. I hate swimming where I can see the bottom and so I decided to move out to deeper water. Also, I thought that new swimmers might be lining up towards shore because knowing that they could always stand up if needed and I didn't want to get caught up in all that.

The beeper went off and our group took off. I was able to position myself in the front pack - about halfway through, I noticed that the pack had all but disappear and that there was only one girl in front of me and one right next to me. The one right next to me was in a wetsuit and we were swimming stroke for stroke the same almost until the finish. I don't know if she was getting irritated with us being so close together or if it was an accident, but I got hit in the goggles causing my right one to fill up with water. I wasn't going to stop to fix them in just a sprint and so I swam the final 100 yards with water in my eye. I finally managed to drop her.
What would you do differently?:

Get away from people. I thought that I was moving away from the girl in the wetsuit, but it seemed like we were only inches apart the entire time. The benefit I might get from drafting doesn't make up for getting hit in the eye.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

So I ran out of the water and I hear my group of friends yelling for me which is really great. I also hear the volunteers yelling 'Alright - Go! 3rd woman out of the water!'. I don't know why this freaks me out, but it's one of the reasons that I hate wave starts. You know where you are within the pack of people you're competing against and it puts a huge pressure on you to not let anyone with a ponytail pass you on the bike or run.

Regardless, the climb from the beach up to TA was incredibly brutal, but since I was the 3rd girl, I couldn't let them see me walking up it. :) So I just took small baby steps and tried to control my breathing. Hit my rack, put helmet, socks and bike shoes on and took off.

Not much. It was about 1/4 mile run from swim exit to transition so T1 time is actually pretty good.
Bike
  • 41m 26s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

So I took off from transition and immediately begin passing the guys from waves ahead of me. That was one great thing about this race and course - you got to see and encourage so many people. It took me a good 2 miles to get my heartrate to calm down from the run from transition and then after that it was smooth sailing. The roads were a little rough, but the race organization tried to mark the major potholes and areas to avoid.

I took water throughout the bike in my aerobottle and only drank a little gatorade at miles 7 and 13 (about 1/4 of a bottle in total).

Push harder. I really just wanted to enjoy the bike. I was coasting on the downhills and not killing myself up the uphills. After the past 3 months of Olympics and Halfs, this bike split seemed to go by SO fast!
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Bike in, helmet and bike shoes off. Running shoes on. Visor, running belt and gel in my hand.

Nothing. I can't complain about my T2 times this season. I've got a good system going.
Run
  • 24m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran out of T2, grabbed some gatorade and immediately heard Felix (zaichikmiller) yelling for me as I ran by. I wanted to say something back, but I was slightly out of breath and very much in a zone. It was still great to have such support out there. My mentality was to just keep running and it seemed to work. Before I knew it, I was beginning to see some of the guys I knew from Get-Fit coming back the other way (we all gave acknowledgements). I grabbed some water from the aide station and took a gel (just to get me through the rest of the run). Hit the turnaround - I LOVE that they had a timing pad at the turnaround - and headed back the way we had come. Saw Courtney (clelling) out on the run and tried to smile at her (again - a zone). Finished the run with friends cheering me on. Heard my name called out and Tony from ATS telling me good job. Knew that I hadn't let anyone in my age group pass me on the run or bike so it only depended on it someone was in front of me off of the swim.

Well, this run was good, but I know that I can get faster. I ran a 5k at the end of a sprint in the mid-22s at the beginning of the year and the course was similar difficulty. I have just let my speed run training slide so I will work on getting my times down again.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and met up with friends. Waited for the rest of the people I knew to finish. Went and picked up t-shirt and grabbed some pizza, cookies and diet coke. MMM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

End of season blues. And tiredness. Plus, I haven't been training for sprint distances.

Event comments:

I got 1st in my age group which I'm really happy about. I think it's the largest age group that I've actually placed in. I was also the 5th female overall out of about 225 women. Now I just need to figure out how to move up a couple of spots. :) Overall, it was much more fun to hang out with friends and Bters than to worry about getting awards.

I'm so glad that GaMultisports added this sprint to the end of the year. It's a great course and it's a perfect event for first time triathletes to hit up. That atmosphere was awesome out there - everyone was encouraging and having fun. I would highly recommend this event to anyone.

Last updated: 2006-09-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:29 | 400 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 21/549
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and shirt
Course: Straight point to point swim with us swimming between the line of buoys and the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:26 | 13.5 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/32
Overall: 84/549
Wind: Little
Course: Circle loop with rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:42 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 120/549
Performance: Average
Course: An out and back 3.1 mile loop through the park. Mostly shaded with minimal hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-11 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

2006-10-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: #566482

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon

What? You couldn't keep your third woman overall spot? Slacker.

2006-10-11 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
I know I keep saying it but great job!
2006-10-11 11:01 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Get job Rebecca.  I know, its kinda sad that the season if over.  Great race and congrats on first in your age group.
2006-10-11 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Smyrna, GA
Awesome job!!!  That's really quite an accomplishment to come in 1st in the age group.  Enjoy your off season
2006-10-12 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Great job!! Your times continue to amaze me - you are really putting in the training and seeing it pay off is awesome! Congratulations on a great race and 5th overall woman/1st AG - you rock!

2006-10-12 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Steam-a-roo!: Great finish to a great season. Not only did you earn hardware but also the adulation of your many fans

It's been great racing with you this season. Don't be a stranger during winter training. We'll be here.

Congrats.

H.
2006-10-12 10:04 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
woo hoo! nice job!
2006-10-13 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice way to end a long season. You did great, and on top of that did the SC half just one week earlier. That's endurance. Good job, Great Season.
2007-10-09 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Wow.....great job (and nice report as well).

It looks like you had a busy season. Enjoy your AG win!
2007-10-09 11:39 AM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Yea...only a year late on that one.....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Emerald Pointe Triathlon Rss Feed