United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 41m 49s
Overall Rank = 202/2169
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/156
Pre-race routine:

I gotta share this story....The start line of the race was right next to my office so I stopped into my building to "take care of some business" before the race. As I am sitting there another runner comes in and sits down next to me. We both are leaving at roughly the same time and I see him as I am washing my hands. He looks up and says to me "Did you go?" I am shocked by his question but before I can think about it I say "yeah". He says "That's half the race effort right there, getting that out of the way!!" I just found it rather odd that I was having a discussion regarding my BM efforts with a total stranger!!
Event warmup:

I spent about 15 minutes stretching then began a short run but ran into one of my fraternity brothers so the warm up got cut a little short.....some catching up then off to the start line.
Run
  • 1h 41m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to run with my IPOD as I have been using the same playlists while training on this course lately. I felt like I started out with my normal pace, but for some reason I just couldn't get that familiar feeling I was looking for. What I mean is I have been running this route for two months and I expected to be very comfortable with the route. I expected it to feel like just another training run, but it didn't. I didn;t do enough thinking about what my priorities should be for the race. Originally I thought, I'll wear my IPOD so that I don't get distracted by other runners and it will feel like it always does, but then as I started approaching cheering sections and bands playing along the course I would pause my IPOD so I could soak up some of the atmosphere of race day. This turned out to be a mistake because it negated all of the familiarity I had built by training on the course. The other thing I did wrong was ignore my watch....I thought that if I started looking at my pace every mile that it would feel like it was never going to end, instead I slowed down the last three miles and didn't even realize it.
What would you do differently?:

In the future I will pick one way to do this type of race and stick with it...one or the other...
1) Check split times every mile, wear ipod and let it play, ignore all of the off course distractions, or
2) don't wear a watch, run totally by feel, enjoy all of the off course entertainment
My heart tells me that I will probably go with option one...I will get more enjoyment out of knowing that I gave the race maximum effort rather than making sure I get to hear "Johnny and the New Notes' rendition of Joan Jett's "I hate myself for loving you!"
Post race
Warm down:

Did some stretching, took full advantage of the bagels, bananas, oranges and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

concentration!

Last updated: 2006-03-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:49 | 13.1 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/156
Overall: 0/2169
Performance: Average
Course: The course was fine. I have been training on this course for the last two months so I was pretty familiar with the route.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4.5lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-11 9:58 AM

User image

Olathe, KS
Subject: Kansas City Half Marathon

2006-10-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: #566554

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: RE: Kansas City Half Marathon

I think the dude saw your tiny BM an said something like.... "that's all you got!!!!" then you ran out embarrassed and humiliated..... like wise you should be

Good run by the way.....

2006-10-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #566554

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS

Nice Run! 

Good to see that missing out on hearing Kaja Goo Goo's "Too Shy" looped continuously didn't throw you off too much.

2006-10-11 12:58 PM
in reply to: #566713

User image

Expert
Kansas
I see him more as  loop'er
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Half Marathon Rss Feed