General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower Training weekend in Nov? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-11 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: Wildflower Training weekend in Nov?
I haven't decided whether I want to do The Relay or Wildflower next year, and since they're on the SAME FRIGGIN' WEEKEND, I have to decide soon.

If I don't do Wildflower, then I'll probably do the California 70.3 (yeah, the one we still all call "Ralph's".

But, that's not really what I'm writing to you about, believe it or not.

What I want to know is this:  Would any of you be interested in doing a Wildflower Training weekend, like we've done in the past, sometime in November?  If yes, can you please indicate which weekend(s) work for you and which don't?  While I'm awaiting your answers, I'll call the LSA folks and see if they even have any availability, and if they're running the two-for-one deal again.

TIA!

2006-10-11 11:03 AM
in reply to: #566620

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Wildflower Training weekend in Nov?

Weekends in question:

#1: Nov 3-5

#2: Nov 10-12

#3: Nov 17-19

#4: Nov 24-26 (Thanksgiving weekend... we could make it work if folks were really interested, but they might be fully booked.)

#5: Dec 1-3 

2006-10-11 4:08 PM
in reply to: #566628

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Hey, Madkat!
I'm definitely not up for the full tri but would be interested in a relay with someone....don't put me on a bike...but I'd be down with either swimming or running.

2006-10-25 8:14 PM

User image

Expert
Is the Wildflower training weekend still on the table? Doesn't look like there was too much response here. Even though it doesn't look like Wildflower will fit in my schedule again next year, I'm definitely interested in doing the training weekend. I'm particularly interested in the weekends of 11/4 (I know, coming soon!), and 11/18.

Mike
2006-10-28 5:57 PM

User image

Expert
A little off the subject, my apologizes, but does anyone know when registration opens for the Wildflower. I'm considering doing the Olympic Tri as my first Olympic but I am a little intimidated by the bike course. But I will definelty if anything do the MTB Sprint. I can't do a bike in November but maybe some other time, I'm definelty in. Also, what's the logisitics behind the WF Tri. I know everyone is out camping, but do they have food avilable for breakfast, lunch, and dinner or do you have to provide your own food? Also are their showers avilable. I like camping but I hate roughing it. Sorry for the silly questions, I hope to see you guys there.
2006-10-28 6:13 PM
in reply to: #581997

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I believe Wildflower registration is 12:00 am on Dec 1 (midnight).  The races are usually the last weekend in April.

You are right that everyone camps.  Some people, like Eric and me, are lazy and rent an RV.  There are public restrooms and showers though, and even the RVers use those (saves water).

No "real" food available that I know of.  I mean, there is a little store and food stand that serves hotdogs and the like.  Most people bring their own.  There are fire pits where you can grill stuff.  Some of the camp sites have electric hookups, but those go fast.

The Olympic distance bike course isn't terrible.  Only one really icky hill, with some good rollers in there.  The Long Course bike course is terrible.  Or so I hear.  I'm too chicken to ride it.

I've heard from people who know such things, that the Oly course is about equal in difficulty as a regular 1/2 IM course elsewhere.  Partly because of the heat and partly because of the terrain.  Compared to other Oly courses I've done, I can say it is more challenging.

Unless you're really interested in doing the mountain bike sprint, one thing you might consider would be to join a relay team for the Oly distance. 

I enjoyed doing the race two years ago.  My ONLY complaint was that the start the women so late, and don't stagger the start times like other races.  Vineman, for example, sets the start times by age groups based on a random drawing.  So, rather than having waves start in age-group order, it's completely random... you could have 50 year old women starting 5 minutes after the 20 year old men.  And they'll be followed by the 36 year old women.  At WF, the older women start last, and many get DQed because the don't make the cut-off time.  Not to mention, they're out there during the hottest part of the day.

But, that said, I'd do the race again.  It's like a party for triathletes! 

2006-10-28 9:00 PM

User image

Expert
Madkat,

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Knowing that I will have to supply my own food is a real big help. I guess I have until Dec to figure out what course I want to do. Thanks again
2006-11-03 5:46 PM

User image

Sacramento, CA
Finally solidified plans for this month.

Nov 3-5: Busy
Nov 12-14: Open
Nov 17-19: Ireland
Nov 24-26: Ireland

December is pretty open for me.

I'm planning to sign up for Wildflower Olympic and get my friggin sub-3. (I might toy with the idea of signing up for both. We'll see how I feel on Dec 1)

I hated Ralph's. But, then, it rained.
2006-11-14 7:06 PM

User image

Napa
So, did anything come of this?  I would like to check out the bike course sometime.  Let me know if a training weekend is still a possibility.  If so, where would we stay?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wildflower Training weekend in Nov? Rss Feed