General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shoe Problem... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-11 10:56 PM

Regular
Bangalore, Karnataka
Subject: Bike Shoe Problem...
Here's the deal.. ever since I bought my road bike, the shoe on the right foot is tough to get out of the pedal.. i even took it to the LBS but the loosening that was done on the pedal hasnt seemed to help.

I think the problem is the play - it will move a long way so i have to literally turn my entire leg inwards to get to the point where it will snap out - and its a royal pain if i have to get my right foot out (let alone dangerous, have toppled over once just coz the bike went in that direction when i stopped !)

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

The pedal is Look and I use Shimano shoes...

2006-10-11 11:58 PM
in reply to: #567191

Champion
Subject: RE: Bike Shoe Problem...

I'm guessing maybe there might be an adjustment for the amount of "float" in the pedal, or the amount of tension?  Some Look pedals have this tension release screw that can be adjusted to change the tightness of your shoe/pdeal connection.  See if there is perhaps an adjustment to be made to this.  You might also try clipping your left shoe into the right pedal and vice versa, just to make sure it's not a shoe problem.  If the situation still occurs on the same pedal at least you've narrowed it down to the fault of the pedal itself.

Edited by max 2006-10-12 12:01 AM
2006-10-12 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
You can buy different type of cleats for look pedals. Each have there own color (don't know which is which anymore). But the different types give you different levels of freedom in the pedal.

I started out with the ones with no freedom. They are the easiest to unclip as as soon as you rotate your foor slightly they come out. The downside I found is that they are difficult to adjust as the slightest angle mistake makes them unconfortable and probably lead to injury.

I then tried the ones with the maximum float, but got rid of those very quickly for the very reason you are complaining about. You can't get out of them quick enough and you have to rotate your foot too far.

Now I have the intermediat ones and find they are a good compromise. You can get out easily, andf they are very easy to adjust.

Check which ones you have: http://www.lookcyclesusa.com/
2006-10-12 10:15 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
I'm using Look pedals and Shimano shoes, too.  It took a little bit of adjusting to get the float on the pedal set right.  There are also different positions you can put the cleat in on the bottom of your shoes.  I've found that it's a bit easier when the cleat is all the way back.  Also make sure that the cleats are really tight - if they are loose, it tends to make it harder to get your foot out.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Shoe Problem... Rss Feed