General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-12 12:04 PM

Expert
Golden, CO
Subject: Suggestions for training plan
Hello All - I have been talked into doing an adventure race in March. (Roughly 21 weeks) The race involves 30-40 miles of mountain biking, 8-10 miles of trail running and 10-12 miles kayaking with a 275' rappel (the rappel really doesn't matter but it sounds cool) We are just looking to finish the race.

I was looking for ideas on how to formulate a training plan or adopt one of the current plans on this site. I am coming off of an injury and therefore am just starting base training again. Thus my logs are pretty bare. I forsee a lot of mountian biking and weight training (for my knee and upper body) for the next 3 weeks and then hopefully getting on to a regimented plan incorporating running, biking, lifting and a little swimming.

Biking is my strong suit..running I am at ground zero..strength wise...I cannot believe how weak I have become at a desk job.

I am thinking about taking one of the plans and adding more weight training (for the kayaking) in lieu of swimming. I will add swimming in a couple of months since I will need to build the base for the triathlons next year.

Any thoughts on a premade plan that would be adaptable would be greatly appreciated. Or thoughts on doing a plan from scratch.

Thanks Everyone.

2006-10-12 4:32 PM
in reply to: #567582

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Suggestions for training plan
I would say that if you are starting from zero running to look at the couch to 5k plans. I believe the aggressive plan is 16 weeks which gets you running up to 30'. After that you are probably going to be able to add another 10-15' in the next 5 weeks and you are running probably between 4-5 miles (assuming a pace around 10'/mile). Throw in some walk breaks during the trail run portion and you will probably be good to go from that end. Just make sure if you aren't able to handle the fun distance you schedule your run/walk rather than just do it as you feel - maybe run 9'/walk 1' or 4'/1' or something along those lines.

Also, that plan will give you lots of freedom to add other stuff in as it is only three days per week so you can easily get biking and weights in. With the MTB I would suggest looking at what you can comfortably do a week now (trying to ride at least two and preferably three times a week) and build from there. So if that is two 30' rides and a long ride of 1 hour (for example), then start from there and start building gradually (remember 10% increase a week ).

Good luck,

Shane
2006-10-12 5:29 PM
in reply to: #567981

Elite
Laurium, MI
Subject: RE: Suggestions for training plan

I agree with above.  I would do the agressive couch to 5k plan and then maybe the winter maintmence/prep plan.  I hear rumor that Mike is putting up some new swim/bike/run centric plans up in a few weeks, so once their up you might look at the run centric plan.  I will say that I used the winter maint/prep plan last winter and it worked really well.  The 3 day per week swimming really beefed up my back and it does have strength days included.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for training plan Rss Feed