General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Trying something new ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-22 11:32 AM

New user

Washington DC
Subject: Trying something new ...
All-

I have been running ultra marathons for a couple of years and decided that I need to do a couple of tri's as well. I am not fast in the ultras, but I still have a lot of fun. Here are my PRs:

Marathon - 3:58:47
Trail 50k - 4:40:35
50 Miler - 9:51:43

I am hoping to drop the 50k to around 4:15 this year and the 50 mile time down about 30 to 45 min. Both of these goals are feel can be achieved. The marathon time I would like to drop to around 3:15, I would like to qualify for Boston.

I have never been a big swimmer, so I think that would be the most difficult part for me. I am looking for some help is trying to figure out what where to begin.

Thanks

Steve

2003-12-22 12:28 PM
in reply to: #2771

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Trying something new ...
Great to have you here. With your running background you may be able to give some insight to training for long distances.

In regards to us helping you, we need a little more information on what your goals are as well as the time to put into swimming and biking. I think the best thing to do is find a distance you want to Tri. Your running background gives you the opportunity to do a full Ironman. However that would take a lot to get up to swim/biking distances. The great thing about triathlons is that they range from sprint distances, olympic, 1/2 IM and IM. For your first look at the average distances (they vary a little, not all sprints are the same ect.) and find one you are comfortable with in the swimming and biking.
One word of caution and I mention this because you have goals already set to lower you times in the run races. By training for a triathlon you will probably need to cut back on the running you are currently doing. You may even feel you are losing some speed/conditioning ect on the run for the races you plan on doing. On the flip side, you will get in even better shape by cross-training and even avoid some possible injuries that can happen because of overtraining.
Let us know what your currently doing and what your experiences have been with training, whether it be your swim, bike or run. There are plenty of people here who have a lot of experience in each discipline and triathlons that are more than willing to help.
Again, welcome to the wonderful world of Triathlon.
2003-12-23 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Steve! Awesome job on the endurance running! Glad to have someone with your running experience on board!
2003-12-23 9:30 AM

New user

Washington DC
Thanks-

Right now - the only biking that I have been doing in a little mountain biking. I hope to start the swimming piece at the beginning of the year. I would assume that time would be most important factor when starting. Just get out there and bike for a couple of hours and then swim for .5 or so.

Not that I know much about running, but if I can help - great.
2003-12-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2811

User image

Champion
dont kid yourself!  with marathon and 50milers...u r the man!  if u run those with little injury, u must know what your doing withing reason.  we r def glad to have u hear!!!
2003-12-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2814

User image

Central Louisiana
I just want to get a 10k under my belt, so I can't even imagine a 50k! Welcome to the board.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Trying something new ... Rss Feed