Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is Obesity a Disease? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-10-13 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Is Obesity a Disease?
There was a commercial on the radio for this hospital that helps obese people and they kept saying obesity is a disease.

I kind of think of it is a condition.

Does saying it is a disease take away responsibility just like leukemia is a disease?

Does someone who goes from skinny to fat all of a sudden have a disease?

Does an obese person that loses weight say that they conquered a disease?

I wonder how much the hospital is trying to profit off this.

Cheers

2006-10-13 3:08 PM
in reply to: #568740

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Is Obesity a Disease?
oooh, not touching this one. tread lightly, and respectfully, friends.
2006-10-13 3:13 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
in general no
2006-10-13 3:13 PM
in reply to: #568748

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
possum - 2006-10-13 3:08 PM

oooh, not touching this one. tread lightly, and respectfully, friends.

Ah, that is what Cup of Joe is for

I am not even saying it isn't a disease. I just never really heard it classified that way. Maybe obese people don't even want to be told they have a disease.

Cheers
2006-10-13 3:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
NY
I've read that obesity is a disease that fat people get. 
2006-10-13 3:32 PM

Pro
I dunno. Is alcoholism a disease? What about drug addiction?

I would say that regardless of whether it is a condition or disease, once you are an alcoholic or a drug addict or if you are a compulsive eater (or just an over-eater) or a compulsive non-eater (anorexic) - treatment is in order. That treatment can take many forms including drug therapy.

Now, let's look at a disease that nobody could argue about - lung cancer. Does it matter that the sufferer was a 50 year smoker? Does the fact that he bears some responsibility in some way diminish that he has a disease?

People like to be glib about things like obesity and drug addiction, like it's just a matter of stopping. Well, sure. But everybody has something, some bad habit that they can't break. And the self-discipline required, for some reason, just isn't there. So, let's say I bite my nails (I did for about 20 years of my life), I found it hard to stop. But what's the big deal, right? But what if my vice was drink instead. Oh boy, then things start to get tough, because it's more than just distasteful.

So, I guess the bottom line is, a disease doesn't have to be arbitrary to qualify. And I think whether obesity is a disease or a condition is just semantics.

2006-10-13 3:44 PM

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

GolfMark - 2006-10-13 2:59 PM There was a commercial on the radio for this hospital that helps obese people and they kept saying obesity is a disease. I kind of think of it is a condition. Does saying it is a disease take away responsibility just like leukemia is a disease? Does someone who goes from skinny to fat all of a sudden have a disease? Does an obese person that loses weight say that they conquered a disease? I wonder how much the hospital is trying to profit off this. Cheers

It qualifies for insurance billing puposes and that's as far as I'll go with that question 8)

2006-10-13 3:48 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

I would say that obesity is a risk factor, or condition that leads to disease. And, just like high blood pressure leads to heart disease, it is a condition that must be treated using lifestyle behavior changes or medical intervention.

However, I think using the word "disease" to label something puts a certain type of connotation with it. If we commony call it a disease, and say, someone with fatalistic values/culture becomes obese, do they then not treat it because a higher power "gave" this to them?

2006-10-13 3:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: #568812

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
spokes - 2006-10-13 3:50 PM

No, but the proliferation of fructose-based sweeteners in nearly all kinds of processed foods is a horrible, horrible evil.

Yes, I do think that it is a major reason that obesity rates have sky-rocketed. None of these types of foods existed until recently and our bodies are adapted from what we ate thousands of years ago.

2006-10-13 4:15 PM
in reply to: #568783

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Opus - 2006-10-13 3:32 PM

Now, let's look at a disease that nobody could argue about - lung cancer. Does it matter that the sufferer was a 50 year smoker? Does the fact that he bears some responsibility in some way diminish that he has a disease?

Great point. That is a self-inflicted disease for the most part. I do feel bad for them. Anytime you say that someone has lung cancer, the first question is always, "Did they smoke?".

It doesn't diminish the disease, but it makes people feel more comfortable that somehow they can avoid it.

There is a seemingly simple equation to stopping obesity. Calories out > calories in. And we can control both sides of the equation.

I really don't know what service the hospital provides. I would presume it is surgery of some sorts. They also mentioned that they have follow-on counseling.

It just struck me that they kept referring to it as a disease. You said it may have semantics, but words are very powerful. And, I don't know if obese people want to be viewed as having a disease.

Cheers

2006-10-13 4:42 PM

Crystal Lake, IL

This is a very sensitive subject for me and some other people that we covered a month or two ago.  I started a thread called Fatism.  It generated a lot of conversation.  I don't even have the energy to restate my opinions on the subject and I can't find the thread the refer you to the link.

All I'll say is that many people who do NOT fight this battle have opinions on the subject that those who do fight the battle feel are insulting, hurtful and degrading to them.  Please choose your words carefully when expressing what you think about this subject.

That being said, have at it.

2006-10-13 5:15 PM
in reply to: #568857

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
hangloose - 2006-10-13 4:42 PM

This is a very sensitive subject for me and some other people that we covered a month or two ago.  I started a thread called Fatism.  It generated a lot of conversation.  I don't even have the energy to restate my opinions on the subject and I can't find the thread the refer you to the link.

All I'll say is that many people who do NOT fight this battle have opinions on the subject that those who do fight the battle feel are insulting, hurtful and degrading to them.  Please choose your words carefully when expressing what you think about this subject.

That being said, have at it.

I understand that it can be sensitive. I have two obese sister-in-laws. My wife and another sister are thin. I have always been curious how in a family of four sisters, half would be thin and half obese. They all grew up the same way and ate the same food so it can't be explained by childhood.

I agree that it is a battle. The good thing is that it is a battle that can be won and there are many people that are proof of this.

My 'cup of Joe' was more of a hospital promoting it as a disease than our society's pov on obesity.

Cheers
2006-10-13 5:33 PM

Elite
San Jose, CA
It is the same disease as alcoholism and drug abuse.   It is a form of addiction and I believe it can be genetic and learned behavior...usually probably both.  I suffer from an addiction to sugar and fatty foods...I hid food so people didn't see me eat it.  I wouldn't eat in front of people, because I was afraid they would judge me...Its difficult, because when you say you have this addiction, people just laugh, or don't take it serious, but I have had to battle it my whole life.  Its not as easy as just eating less and exercising.  That being said, Obesity itself is not a disease, it is the result of one...Its like saying being drunk is a disease.  Being drunk is not the disease, but addictive drinking is. 
2006-10-13 5:44 PM

Elite Veteran
I think it is a disease--some sort of addiction and/or coping mechanism.

And I don't understand all of the caution about treading lightly when discussing this. I have many, many problems. Weight isn't one of them. Never has been. But when I was a two pack-a-day smoker, I had lots of strangers come up to me and tell me that I shouldn't be smoking. It was bad for me. Ya think? I was addicted!

I would never go up to an overweight person at McDonalds and suggest they need to dine elsewhere. Why? I don't honestly feel that way, and after hearing all of the snide smoking comments, the obese already know they have a problem. Just let them get through the meal/day. I don't know what hurt they're living with, or why they're overeating, and it is none of my business. I just hope that they find the help they need to live a healthier lifestyle.

Classifying obesity as a disease has the benefit of health insurance coverage for treatment. If it isn't classified an abnormal condition, treatment wouldn't be covered. Having said that, I don't know if it is classified as a physical condition or covered in the mental health category. Doesn't matter as long as it is a covered condition to my way of thinking.

2006-10-13 6:51 PM

Champion

I do hate this topic because there's no real way to decide who's right, and people often get offended on both sides.

I'll offer an opinion from a medical perspective.  It's hard to pin down because people have differing ideas of what obesity is, and it comes from a variety of causes.  Obesity is a condition.  The most common cause of that condition is chronic overeating, which I classify as an affliction and not a disease.  I also lump addictive disorders in this same category, so I'm not discriminating.

Not sure if that makes sense to anybody else. 

2006-10-13 7:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
I don't have an answer to the question, but I always think about my barn cats when this comes up.  I have 6 barn cats.  They live outside 24/7.  All of them just showed up at the farm as young intact cats.  They have all been neutered or spayed.  Ages range from 3 years to 7 years of age.  They are fed free choice cat food plus whatever mice and other critters they hunt.  5 of the cats are very slender and thin.  1 cat is morbidly obese.  It has no indentifiable underlying disease.  I find it interesting that they all live in the same conditions and there is that 1 cat????  Hmmmmm?  Food for thought.
2006-10-13 7:28 PM
in reply to: #568885

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
lynda - 2006-10-13 5:44 PM

I think it is a disease--some sort of addiction and/or coping mechanism.

And I don't understand all of the caution about treading lightly when discussing this. I have many, many problems. Weight isn't one of them. Never has been. But when I was a two pack-a-day smoker, I had lots of strangers come up to me and tell me that I shouldn't be smoking. It was bad for me. Ya think? I was addicted!

Yeah, it does seem okay to tell people they shouldn't smoke. Or ask people if they are still smoking? But you wouldn't think of asking an obese person if they are still munching away or letting them know it would be best to go on a diet.

In America, there is a lot of 'smokism'.

Cheers
2006-10-13 8:15 PM

Master
Tampa, Fl

Well if obesity is a disease then BT is the cure.

Well it worked for me!!

2006-10-13 8:41 PM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South

uh....  well, they do cover drug rehabilitation, which people get addicted by not being able to control their impulses to get sober.

so, sorta makes sense to help overweight people who cannot control their eating to get healthier. 

Long term gains benefit the patient AND the insurance companies.  

2006-10-13 10:28 PM
in reply to: #568928

Crystal Lake, IL

GolfMark - 2006-10-13 7:28 PM
lynda - 2006-10-13 5:44 PM I think it is a disease--some sort of addiction and/or coping mechanism. And I don't understand all of the caution about treading lightly when discussing this. I have many, many problems. Weight isn't one of them. Never has been. But when I was a two pack-a-day smoker, I had lots of strangers come up to me and tell me that I shouldn't be smoking. It was bad for me. Ya think? I was addicted!
Yeah, it does seem okay to tell people they shouldn't smoke. Or ask people if they are still smoking? But you wouldn't think of asking an obese person if they are still munching away or letting them know it would be best to go on a diet. In America, there is a lot of 'smokism'. Cheers

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've said, but there is a huge difference between smoking and obesity.  Consider this twist.  A smoker can, regardless of how hard it might be, eventually quit smoking and live the rest of their life without smoking.  As someone who had to take 98% of the food I ate for 37 years of my life and wave goodbye to it because I can never eat it again I can state that it is easier to go completely without something than to get to have little bits of it here and there but to have to limit yourself.  A person with a weight problem/eating issues cannot quit eating and go the rest of their life without food.

I don't mean this to be a statement about which problem is worse, simply pointing out one enormous difference in dealing with the two issues.

2006-10-14 9:52 AM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa

I'd like to know the context of how the question came up.  So if obesity is a disease, how does it matter....if it is not a disease, then what does that mean.  How does the answer to this question affect a person who is obese.

Hope that makes sense?

(OK...so I went back and read the first post.  It was a hospital commercial; I understand the context.  But, theoretically, I think my questions above make sense. Any thoughts?)

Edited by shawn barr 2006-10-14 9:54 AM
2006-10-14 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
windsor, ontario

I guess I come down somewhere in the middle here.  I agree with Derek, that the root cause can be considered an 'affliction'.  In regards to the parallell that has been used throughout this thread...smoking is not a disease, lung cancer is...smoking, and for that matter, overeating, eating poorly, etc. etc., can be described as afflictions, compulsions, or whatever phrase equates to 'not my fault' today.  The fact of the matter is relatively simple...eating, smoking, meth, crack, booze, having inappropriate contact with 16 year old congressional pages, feels good...that's why people do it...brain releases seratonin that makes body euphoric, person wants to replicate the day they felt goood...person continues to do whatever it was that caused the seratonin to release...relatively simple equation...what is lost in all of this is that before, every 'hit' whether it is an eight ball, a big mac, a shot of bourbon, a marlboro, or a blackberry message to a teen boy, we are absolutely capable of self denial...

so while the end result (in obesity's case being heart disease, diabetes, etc) is most certainly a disease, most often it is a long string of conscious decisions to feel good, vs. do what we likely knew was right...very few smokers are unaware (now) of the health costs attributed to smoking, as are very few overeaters unaware of the health costs of a double whopper with cheese supesize value meal.  jAnd now, very few senators are unaware of the cost of flirting with sixteen year old pages.  Obviousy, as spokes said, there is a generous amount of responsibilty on the purveyors of l'il debbies, big macs, and the like, for offering us this toxic crap for so long, and they may have to pay, just like phillip morris and the like have had to recentlly.  But each and every one of us should be expected to be as responsible as they, and do what we can to just be better.

And to frame this effectively, i currently weigh 185, down from 290...when people ask how, I tell them "I run, I don't each much crap anymore, and I drink less beer" 

I do, however have a 'disease', namely insulin dependent diabetes, acquired at 30 yrs of age due to lifestyle choices.  So, my 'affliction' led to a 'disease', and I consider myself responsible for it. 

FWIW

d

2006-10-14 12:50 PM

There is a saying in come circles re: drug and alcoholism vs. overeating as an addiction.  To quit booze (or smokes or whatever), you lock the tiger in a cage.  With food, you gotta take the tiger out for a walk 3 times a day

No idea whether obesity is a disease (btw, accdg to western medicine and the BMI, I am at 6'2", 235# and therefore "obese" but I sure know I use food as a drug (effects of sugar?  c'mon) just like my brother used alcohol as a drug.  Food is just less immediately destructive

2006-10-14 1:01 PM

Expert
Montreal
Been there, done that. Was 310 now 162.

Regardless of how you feel about obesity (which is largely going to be determined by whether or not you've ever had a real weight problem) it should be treated as a disease. I love to hear the simple calories in < calories out hypothesis which is correct in its own way but ignores so much about individual physiology that it is naive in the extreme. My bestfriend has weighed 169 lbs since university (more than 20 years ago) it is not uncommon for him to consume in excess of 3000 calories a day. He smokes, drinks and his sole exercise is walking two block to work some mornings instead of taking his car.

On my high food intake days I might hit 2000 calories. In order to maintain my weight I have to log at least 1.5 hours or more of aerobic activity per day (running or cycling). Failure to log a minimum of 10.5 hours of aerobics per week will lead to weight gain 100% guaranteed. Eating too much might be the reason for obesity but too much varies with each person.

GolfMark asked: Does an obese person that loses weight say that they have conquered a disease? My answer would be: Absolutely not - no more than a normal blood sugar test means you've conquered diabetes. It is a daily fight. I step on the scale every day and modify my diet and exercise routines based on the trends I see in the numbers on the scale. Once fat - always tending that way. In my experience there is no rest.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is Obesity a Disease? Rss Feed  

of 2