Racing Underground
50sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 40m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

I only had a glass of perpetum for breakfast. Just before the race I had a few bites of a snickers marathon bar.
Event warmup:

None, I had never run this far so I needed to save all my energy. I did do a little walking, no choice.
Run
  • 1h 40m 49s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My actual run time was 1:40:38 not that the extra 11 seconds would make a difference. My Achilles has bothered me all week so I planned on taking it easy. The plan was to keep my HR below 158 for at least the first 30 minutes. I decided to stick with that until the last 3 miles. I picked the pace up slightly with less than 3 miles to go. The last aid station was close to 1.5 miles from the finish. I had passed three people by that point and was only 30 yards behind two others. I picked the pace up, passed them. I ran harder as I got closer to the finish but I did not go at an all out sprint. The last 1.5 miles I ran in just over 11 minutes. I wish I could run more at that pace. In the end I had put a 2 minute gap between me and the next finisher.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I may have been able to pick the pace up sooner but I doubt I could have gained more that 4 or 5 minutes max. I felt great after the run, I could have gone further.
Post race
Warm down:

Wakled around some and then looked for the food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Never running this far before. Not knowing how to pace myself for this distance.

Event comments:

I hung around for the awards, I like to see who the fast people are since the only time I see them during the race is at the start. I should know by now that it is usually the people that look like the wind could blow them over. I am always amazed at how fast some of the older people are

This was the final race of a series. I wish I had done more of them.

Last updated: 2006-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:49 | 9.32 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: I like this course. Great tour of Barr Lake. It was the flattest course that I have run and it was all dirt. My legs loved that. There was a section near the train tracks so I got to run next too a few trains. Lots of birds to look at, I did not see any Eagles nests but I think I did see an Eagle feather.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes