General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Virgin Triathelete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-12-22 1:41 PM

New user

UK
Subject: Virgin Triathelete
Hi Everyone! Just thought i'd introduce myself to you all. Im 25 years of age and come from Wales in the uk. Have you heard of it? I have played semi proffessional soccer for 7 years now and have decided that i've had enough. The reason for me choosing Triathlon is that i wanted a new challenge and something to take me to the max mentally and physically to see what im made of. I have been training for a couple of months and would be grateful if anyone could give me any tips or inspiration on racing and training. Would be great to hear from you!

Dean

2003-12-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2773

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Virgin Triathelete

aaahhhhh...a virgin. 

yes, this sport will give u you the most bang for your buck...physically and mentally.  waht distances r u going for and when?

2003-12-23 3:20 AM
in reply to: #2777

New user

UK
Hi Ron! Due to the weather here, the first Triathlon will be in April, but i will probably do a few Duathlons first to get me used to the Bike to Run stages. Im looking to do the olympic distance and anything shorter.
2003-12-23 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2787

User image

Champion
about 5...months away..LOTS OF TIME!...whats your distances u have built up to now?   just curious.  good call on doing the du's.  they will def get you performing better from bike to run.  another idea is that a few people here will run about a mile after every bike ride...personally, i would only do this about a month before your race as bike to run is demanding.
2003-12-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2792

New user

UK
Sounds like a great idea running a mile after every bike ride. Was thinking of doing it before, but thought it maybe to much to soon. Perhaps once a week or every fortnight would be good just as a start. Im averaging about 3-4000m swimming, 40-60miles on the bike and 10-15 miles running a week. I feel as if im pushing myself a little but as long as i have a days rest somewhere in the week i can cope. I have not tried all three together yet, but perhaps that something i should do in the near future. to see how im progressing.
Thanks for the advice on the cycle to run. Much appreciated!
2003-12-23 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2804

User image

Central Louisiana
I didn't realize that trying to run after every bike ride could help as much as it did. Do it and you want regret it. I think that it will prepare you as much mentally as it does physically. Even if you only run for 5 mins after your ride it will still make a difference.

Still Tri'n,
Michael

2003-12-24 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
England
Good to have somebody else from this side of the pond on the forum - I'm sure there are others but I'm new here myself! Also looking at first real attempts at sprint tri's this year (I did 1 a few years ago but didn't really train properly and really struggled...). I'm in Bucks not far from Milton Keynes so am planning to compete in 3 local events that start in May. Looking forward to as many tips as possible myself over the next few months.

Good luck - BP

2003-12-24 7:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hi Folks - What a great topic. Here's the short form of my sotry. About 10 months ago I went in with chest pains, weighed in at about 220, was short of breath and pickin' out my heart surgeon. Tests were neg., but I'm 65, dropped 50 lbs, got off blood pressure meds through change in eating, cardio and weight training. It's been a blast, but now I am looking for a goal and am thinking triathalon. I do still take Zocor for choesterol - but am hoping to go off that. I try to keep diet low fat - with just enough intake for weight training.

Quick question - I am in pretty fair shape now for my age - do 15 - 30 mins on treadmill, steppper etc. at 135 - 138 heart rate and keep the lifting routine. I want to continue the weight training and work toward body building for my age group - but also begin the tri. Does sprint level sound right for me? I have not done much swimming at all since high school days, am only a recreational biker, but did do 13 mile runs and was training for a marathon about 15 years ago. What about a swim camp - I am in the group that might find swim the toughest part. Or should I maybe think duathlon for now.
2003-12-24 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2872

User image

Central Louisiana
If you have the graces of you physcian, and are came for a triathlon then go for it. I would check in you local area and see if there are any master swim progams available. If not try to find the book total immersion and use it to help you get the feel of the water since you have been out for a little while. Even if you are training for a triathlon you could still do a duathlon. If you have the drive to make it happen you will be successful. Congrats on you lifestyle change and you success.

Still Tri'n,
Michael
2003-12-25 10:07 AM

Memphis, TN

Congrats on dropping the weight and getting off the BP meds.  As for the Zocor med, the best way to get our HDL(good chol) up is exercise!!  And the best way to get you LDL(bad chol) down is weight loss!!  Sounds like your doing great in both areas.  Hopefully you can get off. 

I would make sure your physician oks your beginning tri training.  I bet he won't have any problem with it, esp. if your shortness of breath has gotten better.  As for your training, I would definitely invest in a heart rate monitor and guide your training to a comfortable heart rate zone.  With your history, that will be key to maintaining good heart health while preventing future problems.

Good luck and congrats on your already wonderful accomplishments,

Toaje

2003-12-26 5:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Thanks for the encouragement Miachael and Taoje. The shortness of breath was gone in about a month after I started serious walking and eating right. Began running this week - with some good shoes finally today. I thought that because I can do the stepper at a pretty good rate for 30-45 minutes and that I've done some fairly serious work on lower body in the gym that the running would come easy.

It's differen't - It's coming along- but clearly there is a training curve here - so I expect there will be plenty left in cycling and especially swimming.

2003-12-26 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2891

User image

Central Louisiana
Keep up the good work!

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-12-26 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2891

User image

Champion
yes, great job thus far!
2003-12-27 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Welcome Dean and Malvey! Malvey, I too fight high cholesteraol (often goes above 300) and the only thing that has worked for me (even better than Zocor) is a strict diet (BFL for me) and exercise. I lowered it from 314 to 185 in 12 weeks this way. I also took Red Yeast Rice to help and haven't gone back on meds. I didn't like the way my stomach always felt on them. Keep up the good work and keep your goals in mind daily!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Virgin Triathelete Rss Feed