United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 2s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had breakfast, and got my bike ready. Woke my wife up so that she could give me a ride to the event. On the waymost of the roads down to the beach were closed because of the race so we were struggling to find a way down there. Got to the start line just in time to store my stuff and wait about 15 mins before the start.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 1h 31m 2s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Wasn't able to drink as much because there were so many people I din't want my hands away from the brakes for more than a moment. That's the same reason I didn't go into the aero position until very late in the race. There were 3 major accidents within the first 7 minutes/2 miles.
One of my goals for the race was to get it done in under 90 mins which would have happenned if those first 7 miles were more open. Once I got into the race I made new goals. I started at the very, very back of the pack. At the front were the people who paid extra and raised money for the Livestrong Foundation. My goal was to catch at least one of them before the end of the race. I was able to catch 5 of them!
Even though I was going a decent clip for much of the race I was still able to enjoy myself. Had a nice conversations with fellow Felt owners, chatted with a lady who was hauling her 115lbs retriever in a trailer behind her, and just observed the other riders.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get there earlier and get near the front.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got my finisher's medal, walked up Ocean to meet a friend, then rode my bike home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Way too many people at the back, field very cramped. Would probably also go faster with more training/weight loss.

Last updated: 2006-07-29 12:00 AM
Biking
01:31:02 | 26.2 miles | 17.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
The first 7 miles sucked because there were so many people I wasn't able to ride faster than 7-10 mph. The first 7 miles took me slightly more than 30 mins. After mile 8 the riders thinned out and I could go a bit faster. The last 19.2 miles took me almost exactly an hour.
Wind: None
Course: Started at Shoreline Village, went around the Queen Mary, past the Aquarium, back over the bridge to the Belmont area, up past CSULB, down through Recreation Park, and back through Belmont to Shoreline again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right