Dallas Athletes
64F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 14m 28s
Overall Rank = 101/294
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/33
Pre-race routine:

rise at 5:10 am wondering why am I getting up so early just to go out and punish myself. Heat up coffee, pour OJ (fortunately the two did not mix), remembered to grab water from fridge and out the door for 20-25 min. drive to race.
Event warmup:

All that advance preparation paid off with a sweet parking spot near the transition area. Had an hour-plus to kill so went to pool a few times just to look and to try to get butterflies out. Multiple quick visits to the sanican, a few quick push-ups to get the blood flowing and finally into the nadatorium. Did a 25 meter warm up lap and then - waiting. About an hour later finally got in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 29s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

Enjoyed my swim - really. Unfortunately, after that long wait, I forgot to start my watch until after the first 50 meters. After that, though, I swam a good leg. Pace was good, breathing steady, passing was interesting as I hadn't really trained for that (nor had I ever really passed anybody in the water before). At start of my last 50 my damn watch fell off. Tucked it in my suit and continued on to finish. Dealt with it at T1.
What would you do differently?:

start my watch on time, secure my watch better (maybe a small rubber band like the bike helmets), train for more stamina as well as speed and quick sprints for passing, learn a flip turn.
Transition 1
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

fumbled a bit with my shirt. Everything was wet from a rainshower which passed through when I was in the pool. Discovered a gaping hole in a sock, but got it on anyway. Cramped bike rack, too.

toying with idea of going sockless for ride. Don't know if I'd like that on run, though.
Bike
  • 37m 21s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Wet, wet, wet. Made for taking it easy on corners. The gradual climbs troubled me as they were deceptive. Steeper climbs were more straight-forward. Police and volunteer support, as well as motorists respect on un-manned portions, was much appreciated.
I had a great ride.

Just keep training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

This was a good transition. Opted against the hat and glasses due to rain. Did have a Gu, though. Seemed to boost the run.
Run
  • 25m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

solid and fast run. Faster, even, than I've ever been. Rained almost the whole run with a drizzle turning into a downpour in the last mile. It felt awesome. Was able to maintain pace after calves stopped talking to me w/in the 1st 1/4 mile.

Again, toying with the idea of going sockless. Also, not sure I'd carry the water bottle, but it did help to wash down the Gu. Don't think it takes away from my effort and it's nice to know I have it if needed. Got water at both stations for a sip.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much today. Didn't even hit the snack tent for a pancake. It was raining hard and my family (Happy Birthday, Avery!) was out in it. Great of them to come in the rain to watch me finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm not sure I can run much faster than that. I guess I'll see what more training can do next year.

Event comments:

Had a lot of fun. Volunteers were great. Thanks.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:29 | 300 meters | 02m 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/33
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Good
Suit: standard tri-shorts
Course: 6 50m lengths, serpentine.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:39
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:21 | 12 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
my computer showed 12.8 mi. but I might not have reset it upon hanging it on bike rack. I know I reset it after putting it in the car, though.
Wind: Some
Course: two approx. 6 mi. loops on well surfaced roads. Some gradual climbs and some hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:20 | 03.11 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Course: nice off-road paved trail meandering through a linear park. A couple of hills, but generally flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-15 10:39 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2006-10-15 10:50 PM
in reply to: #569633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon
Great race, Doug, and welcome to BT!
2006-10-16 10:24 AM
in reply to: #569633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Great race!! I hope you had fun, rain and all.

2006-10-17 11:01 AM
in reply to: #569894

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
I had a blast, rain and all. In fact, I embrace the rain being originally from Seattle. Hope you had a good time, your times were great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed