Event warmup:

Stretched
Run
  • 4h 18m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off with the 3:30 pace group.
We kept a smooth 8:00 pace going. My pace guy Darris was awesome. He was within a few seconds of 8:00 at each mile and kept everyone motivated. I was with him until around mile 12 and let him slip away a little because my heart rate was high and I wanted to try and bring it back down. I felt really good coming through the halfway point I was at 1:45:53 which was right where I wanted to be. I slowed up to 9:00 min miles and felt good except around mile 14 I had to go #2 really bad so I finally found a port-o-let at mile 16 to relieve myself. I came out of there and was with the 3:40 group for little while and still felt good until mile 17 I started feeling dehydrated and my calfs and hips were cramping. I knew Scott would be catching me soon and he did around mile 18.5 and he looked strong while I knew I was fading. By mile 19 my hips were killing me and that's when I started my jog/walk and tried to take in some fluids, but I couldn't ever get my hips to stop cramping. Tyra met me at mile 20 and ran the rest of the race with me to keep me company. I had hopes of finishing under 4 hours, until that pace group passed me and I just couldn't stay with them. At that point I just wanted to finish.
What would you do differently?:

I felt like I hydrated well the first half of the race with my Fuel Belt. That ran out at the halfway point and I should have stopped and filled all four bottles again and taken the time to take some GU and hydrate. I never get enough fluids by trying to drink out of those cups.
Post race

Last updated: 2006-08-18 12:00 AM
Running
04:18:56 | 26.2 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/102
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat with a few small hills
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-16 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Subject: Denver Marathon

2006-10-16 11:11 AM
in reply to: #569851

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Denver Marathon
Bummer!  Hey you finished!   Great Job!  There are other  races.  Every race is a learning experience!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Denver Marathon Rss Feed