The Toronto Marathon
5C / 41F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 58m 6s
Overall Rank = 1626/4191
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1117/1985
Pre-race routine:

While packing my knapsack the night before the race, I realized that I had left my running shoes and HRM at work. In my defense, I was unexpectedly pulled out of work last week due to a family emergency so it's not like I was beeing completely negligent.

As a result, I left home a little bit earlier before the race to stop at work and get my gear. Interestingly, while I was getting my stuff and putting on my HRM, in the completely silet and dark office building, the fire alarm went off which made me jump out of my skin. I had to evacuate using the stairs and in the process set off a couple of "emergency exit only" alarm which further added to the anxiety of the moment. What a nice relaxing start to the day :)
Event warmup:

None, other than the building evacuation noted above.
Run
  • 1h 58m 6s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 36s  min/km
Comments:

I'm verry happy with this run. I wanted to finish in under 2 hours and I did that. I'm also happy with my pacing which for the most part averaged around 5:37. I was really pushing during the last 4 km and given the gradual but steady climb I'm quite happy with my performance.
Post race
Warm down:

Some slight stretching but really I just wanted to get warm because once I stopped running, the cold breeze against my wet clothes was not a pleasant feeling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. Given that my longest distance was 10km just a month ago, and the fact that I only had minimal training during that month, I don't think I could have done anything better. Heck, for a guy that could not run for more than 2 minutes just 7 months ago, I am very very happy with the outcome.

Event comments:

The race was pretty well organized except for the following two points.

1. For the long stretch on Rosedale Valley Rd and the Bayview extension there were no drinking stations.
2. The shuttle busses that were supposed to take racers back to the morning pickup point were not availble at the end of the half marathon due to the road closures. Since this was not communicated, lots of racers were not prepared with money for the subway. The long 5km walk back to the pickup point was NOT fun in the freezing cold weather.

Last updated: 2006-09-11 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:06 | 21.1 kms | 05m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 1117/1985
Overall: 1985/4191
Performance: Good
Course: Start at Mel Lastman Square near Yonge & Sheppherd. Down Yonge St and left onto Rosedale Valley Rd. Over to the Bayview extension and down to King St. Across till Cherry St. and down to Lakeshore Blvd. East until York/University and then straight up and around Queen's Park Circle just south of Bloor. Go to the link below for the course map. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=495464 Though elevation maps show this to be a downhill course, it's hard to actually call it that. The incline is very gradual and in fact there are some challenging hills; e.g. at Hoggs Hollow and the long but steady climb for the last 4km.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-16 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: The Toronto Half Marathon

2006-10-16 2:14 PM
in reply to: #569860

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Subject: RE: The Toronto Half Marathon
Great run after not such a great start to the day! You broke your goal of 2 hours, too!!
2006-10-16 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
Wow what an accomplishment! did you follow a plan or somthing to go from 2 min running to a 20K under 2 hours? This gives me hope that maybe one day i can do the same. CONGRATS! I'M green with envy Wink
2006-10-17 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Thanks!

When I started this whole new fitness lifestyle in the spring I began by following the Agggresive couch to 5K plan on this website. Getting to that first 5K was very hard but once there, it just got easier and easier and I started to slowly and naturally build distance via all the training for the Sprint tri that I was prepping for in September.

Believe me, if I can do this...anyone can. I never ever thought that I could run 5K, never mind 21K. Now, I know that I can do anything if I put my mind to it. You can do it to. I guarantee it.
2006-10-17 4:09 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Nice race despite all the chaos you faced getting your running shoes and HR monitor from work!  Sub 2 hours is a great goal to accomplish!

2006-10-20 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
Way to go Caius great run excellent job beating your goal!!!  I have gone back to square one, changing my stride back to 5Km distance I need to get more speed in my running so i can keep up with you at the Sprints next Spring Wink  Youv'e inspired me that I can get get faster

2006-10-20 8:46 PM
in reply to: #573928

User image

Expert
Toronto
Thanks Andrew! Sorry to hear about your knee. Did you work up to the distance or did you up your distance drastically? Where exactly is the pain?

When I upped my distance to 10K and beyond I started to have a lot of pain on the outside of my knee. It was so bad that I could barely walk down and up stairs. After some research on the net I found out that this was really an ITB issue. I found some ITB related stretches and they really helped out a lot. I made sure to do these stretches before and after every run. It took a while but eventually, my knees, joints, etc. all got used to the distance and I no longer have that those issues.

Hopefully the pain that you are experiencing will not last a long time and you will be able to resolve the root issue.

2006-10-21 11:00 AM
in reply to: #574188

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
great race! 
2006-10-21 2:13 PM

Master

So you were the one who made it difficult to get into the ski show?

Congrats on a job well done, Caius! That is an awesome run!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Toronto Half Marathon Rss Feed