Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Motorcycle Insanity Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-16 11:32 AM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Subject: Motorcycle Insanity
I have never ridden a motorcycle (just a scooter) and it seems to be incredibly dangerous. My father-in-law just 6 months ago got into a serious motorcycle accident. Broken ribs, injuries, eveywhere, etc. Not a call you want to get at 2am in the morning.

Then I get to work today and read my e-mail:

"Bob was involved in a motorcycle accident this Saturday on the 22 FWY. Apparently a vehicle hit him. His son Michael contacted me this morning with this terrible news. The accident broke Bob's pelvis (multiple fractures), his hip, his femur, shattered his knee and broke his elbow and a couple of ribs (all on the left side). He was conscious and communicating well yesterday but under heavy sedation. He is currently in surgery to repair his hip. (The first surgery of several to happen over the course of the next several months). He is at the UCI Medial Center, in the Surgical ICU, in the City of Orange. Your prayers and thoughts with Bob."

This is why I am always so hesitant riding a bicycle around cars. And it scares the bejeesus out of me on the freeway when there is traffic and a motorcycle is zooming in and out.

I recognize it is a lifestyle choice and we can all die from many things, but accidents that you would walk away from in your car, can kill you in a motorcycle.

Cheers

2006-10-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: #569973

User image

Extreme Veteran
London
Subject: RE: Motorcycle Insanity
Thoughts with the guys. It's never nice reading a "biker down" thread

I recognize it is a lifestyle choice and we can all die from many things, but accidents that you would walk away from in your car, can kill you in a motorcycle.
and conversly, accidents i would have been in in the car, I can avoid on the motorbike. As you say, it's a lifestyle choice though and you've got to weigh the pro's v cons for yourself and make a call from there. mind you, if anyone wants a go on the back of my bike ..... lol

Tim/.
2006-10-16 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
A friend of mine works for Harley Davidson.  He doesn't own a motorcycle even though he can get a killer discount.  It's because he's seen a lot of his buddies from work have really bad accidents...
2006-10-16 12:14 PM

Master
Colorado

I've had multiple crashes at 100mph+.  Walked away from every one of them without a scratch (although, the bikes didn't fare that well ).  Of course, this was all on the racetrackm and is why I gave up my street bikes and ride strictly on the track.  If I ever move to a less congested place where I felt safe riding on the streets, I'd get another one in a second.

Everything we do is a lifestyle choice.  You could just as easily be hit running as biking.  The "worth" of it all is relative to what makes you happy...

2006-10-16 12:21 PM
in reply to: #570022

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Stake - 2006-10-16 9:14 AM

I've had multiple crashes at 100mph+.  Walked away from every one of them without a scratch (although, the bikes didn't fare that well ).  Of course, this was all on the racetrackm and is why I gave up my street bikes and ride strictly on the track. 

I just crashed last weekend in a race, hitting the ground at about 50mph on my left elbow. The elbow got bruised and a gash, but other than that, the armored leathers, boots, gloves, and helmet all did their job.

The riding gear folks wear can really make a difference in injuries. A 1/4 helmet and a leather vest don't do much.

Now the folks that are crazy are those that can cruise down mountain roads at over 45mph on their bicycles.

2006-10-16 12:24 PM
in reply to: #570022

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Stake - 2006-10-16 12:14 PM

I've had multiple crashes at 100mph+.  Walked away from every one of them without a scratch (although, the bikes didn't fare that well ).  Of course, this was all on the racetrackm and is why I gave up my street bikes and ride strictly on the track.  If I ever move to a less congested place where I felt safe riding on the streets, I'd get another one in a second.

Everything we do is a lifestyle choice.  You could just as easily be hit running as biking.  The "worth" of it all is relative to what makes you happy...

Yes, it is not my place to say that it should be made illegal or that I should act holier than thou. If it gives someone pleasure, than that matters I suppose.

It just appears incredibly dangerous. I think bike riding in traffic is dangerous and I do all I can to minimize risks. My wife just hopes that her father never rides a motorcycle again. She was dead against it when he decided to take it up at age 65 and experienced all the emotions when we got the call -- shock, sadness and anger.

I really though have an adversion to motorcyclists who weave and dodge in traffic. Is that legal? Can they just create their own lane between two cars and go 55 mph while everyone is going 15mph?

Cheers

2006-10-16 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
It is a lifestyle choice, but its also about being responsible when you ride, full gear, boots, gloves, helmet, and not zooming in and out of traffic, anticipating car movements, being aware of everything in your surroundings. While not every accident is unavoidable, riding responsibly can many times provide a more favorable outcome. My DH went down at 30mph in a tshirt, jeans and thankfully a helmet. Broke his collar bone in 2 places requiring surgery to repair, road rash all over and $22,000 in medical bills. I went down at 70 b/c of a deer and walked away without a scratch b/c of full gear.

Motorcycles are no more dangerous than what we put ourselves thru on a daily basis on a bicycle, and most of the time, the people on the motorcycles are better protected/have more padding than those on bicycles.
2006-10-16 12:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montana

We have this discussion lots...

last year at work a 26 year old kid took a fall on a snowboard, groomed run...going slow...fell in just a way to break cervical vert. 5 and 6. He is a quad.

I was 2nd on scene to that wreck, and it just so happened that I was skiing with my 11 yo daughter at the time. Later that day, when I ran in to my husband and daughter again my first instinct was to tell them to go home. Go home, sit on the couch and watch tv...

the things we love...skiing, playing soccer, backpacking in the woods with lots of bears- these all carry an inherent risk. Everyday that we get in a car...ride a bike...you name it, all of it has risk.

But what kind of life would we be living if we didn't do the things we love because we are afraid of getting hurt.

I try to teach my girls a HUGE respect for nature, the many ways to be as safe as possible...but at the same time that bad things happen. We all can't live in a bubble. Just count our blessings, live day to day and hope for the best.

2006-10-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: #570058

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
willow - 2006-10-16 12:41 PM

We have this discussion lots...

last year at work a 26 year old kid took a fall on a snowboard, groomed run...going slow...fell in just a way to break cervical vert. 5 and 6. He is a quad.

I was 2nd on scene to that wreck, and it just so happened that I was skiing with my 11 yo daughter at the time. Later that day, when I ran in to my husband and daughter again my first instinct was to tell them to go home. Go home, sit on the couch and watch tv...

the things we love...skiing, playing soccer, backpacking in the woods with lots of bears- these all carry an inherent risk. Everyday that we get in a car...ride a bike...you name it, all of it has risk.

But what kind of life would we be living if we didn't do the things we love because we are afraid of getting hurt.

I try to teach my girls a HUGE respect for nature, the many ways to be as safe as possible...but at the same time that bad things happen. We all can't live in a bubble. Just count our blessings, live day to day and hope for the best.

Awesome post Willow.

I don't find motorcycles to be any more dangerous then bikes if you're geared properly.  In fact I think on a motorcycle you at least have a fighting chance (speed and maneuverability with traffic).  With a bike I feel like I'm less likely to be seen by cars and more likely to be hit in a bad way as traffic is going way faster then me.

That said I don't ride mortorcycles on the road.  Like others above it has been a track pursuit for me.  Laying one down at 80+mph you can dust off and walk away on the track, less likely on the road.

I'm with Willow though, it's all about taking the risks to do what you love because there is risk in anything worth doing.

Ya roll the dice ya take your chances.

2006-10-16 1:14 PM
in reply to: #570044

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Shortyy - 2006-10-16 12:31 PM

Motorcycles are no more dangerous than what we put ourselves thru on a daily basis on a bicycle, and most of the time, the people on the motorcycles are better protected/have more padding than those on bicycles.

That is why I drive 30 minutes out to go to a bicyle only place. Motorcyclists are generally better protected though.

Maybe I am over-reacting because it happened to a co-worker and my father-in-law in such a short-time frame.

I rarely hear of non-serious motorcycle accidents (vs. car accidents).

Still fill shaken up this morning. Bob is such a nice guy and I know he has a long road ahead of him. He has been through a lot this past year too. His son lost both of his feet in Iraq.

Cheers
2006-10-16 1:25 PM

Master

Just remember next time you see a motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic. A vast majority of cars are oblivious to whats around them, and motorcycles aren't that easy to see. I've been in situations with my father where a car/truck/whatever puts you in its blind spot or otherwise. Yeah, there are some idiot bikers out there, but in many cases the motorcycle is just getting out a potentially dangerous situation.

When on your bike (motorized or not), always "ride like you're invisible".

2006-10-16 1:56 PM
in reply to: #570032

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

GolfMark - 2006-10-16 12:24 PM ........I really though have an adversion to motorcyclists who weave and dodge in traffic. Is that legal? Can they just create their own lane between two cars and go 55 mph while everyone is going 15mph? Cheers

Keep something in mind.  That is not how responsible adults ride a motorcycle.  My husband loves his Harley, and he would not behave that way in a million years.  But that is NOT a motorcyle issue, that is a personality issue.  An a$$ is an a$$ no matter what kind of transportation he drives.  If that exact person was behind a wheel of a car, they would be putting you and themselves in just as much danger.   And accidents are subjective things. Someone can be killed in a 30 mile an hour car crash if something goes terribly wrong(like they are not wearing their seatbelt, for example), and someone can walk away from a 100 mile an hour motorcycle  accident if things go lucky.

I agree that motorcycles are dangerous,  I am fearful for my husband, and I never ride on it.  But he is a grown man, and this is something that he loves very much, so I would never ask him to give it up.  The same way he would never ask me to give up riding my bicycle on the road. 

2006-10-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #570131

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Tania - 2006-10-16 1:56 PM

GolfMark - 2006-10-16 12:24 PM ........I really though have an adversion to motorcyclists who weave and dodge in traffic. Is that legal? Can they just create their own lane between two cars and go 55 mph while everyone is going 15mph? Cheers

Keep something in mind.  That is not how responsible adults ride a motorcycle. 

Anyone know if it is legal? I see this all the time. I haven't seen anyone get pulled over. And I do some traffic cops do the same thing (which doesn't mean a lot!)

I do get distracted driving and I get taken aback when I see a motorcyclist creep up on me out of seemingly nowhere.
2006-10-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #570131

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Interesting anecdote....in Sao Paolo, Brazil, this IS a way of life.  And there are only 2 traffic deaths a day from it...and considering the number of motoboys (they're everywhere, flying around), it's a very small proporation of the overall population of cycle riders. 

I attribute the relatively low accident rate to 1) skill of the riders (they're amazing), 2) respect for the riders by the drivers (the road truly is shared), and 3) skill of the drivers, and 4) relatively few distractions for drivers (you don't see many people on cell phones, reading newspapers, doing makeup, shaving, whatever). 

I wish we had that in the states...but the "I drive a Suburban, so I'm protected in spite of my own lack of skill / attention to driving" mentality prevails, and I won't ride a bike until it changes - or I live someplace where this isn't the case.

Edited by rkreuser 2006-10-16 2:17 PM
2006-10-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: #570152

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

GolfMark - 2006-10-16 11:15 AM

Anyone know if it is legal? I see this all the time. I haven't seen anyone get pulled over. And I do some traffic cops do the same thing (which doesn't mean a lot!) I do get distracted driving and I get taken aback when I see a motorcyclist creep up on me out of seemingly nowhere.

It's called lane-splitting, and legality of it depends on each state. In some states it is legal.

2006-10-16 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX

I have had 3 different bikes and really did love riding them. I was always much more worried about those around me than my ability to control the bike and there is good reason for that. I had people pull out right in front of me and get over on top of me many times. I do miss having a bike but living in Houston, I don't think I would want to ride one here. My prayers are with he who was injured.

and as far as I know, lane splitting is illegal here in TX. 

2006-10-17 12:31 AM
in reply to: #570395

User image

Master
Denver
LukeTX04 - 2006-10-16 5:42 PM

I have had 3 different bikes and really did love riding them. I was always much more worried about those around me than my ability to control the bike and there is good reason for that. I had people pull out right in front of me and get over on top of me many times. I do miss having a bike but living in Houston, I don't think I would want to ride one here. My prayers are with he who was injured.

and as far as I know, lane splitting is illegal here in TX.

I have the same history and the share the same sentiment about riding: the only diiference: I am in Denver.
2006-10-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #570348

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
PirateGirl - 2006-10-16 6:49 PM

Anyone know if it is legal? I see this all the time. I haven't seen anyone get pulled over. And I do some traffic cops do the same thing (which doesn't mean a lot!) I do get distracted driving and I get taken aback when I see a motorcyclist creep up on me out of seemingly nowhere.

It's called lane-splitting, and legality of it depends on each state. In some states it is legal.

Lane Splitting is only legal in CA.
2006-10-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: #570671

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Shortyy - 2006-10-17 8:50 AM

PirateGirl - 2006-10-16 6:49 PM

Well, that is where I live.

Guess they are following the law.

Still dangerous, and I understand why the other 49 states (if you are correct) outlaw it.

Cheers
2006-10-17 10:53 AM
in reply to: #570671

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Shortyy - 2006-10-17 5:50 AM

According to the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), the following states do not reference lane splitting in Administrative Code or Statutes: Arkansas, California, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, West Virginia.

2006-10-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #570764

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Motorcycle Insanity Rss Feed