General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie-Shoe Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-29 8:33 PM

New user

Lake Placid, NY
Subject: Newbie-Shoe Question
I have been mostly a walker until yesterday. When do I know that my sneaks are breaking down? Any advice?

Edited by gbissonette 2004-07-29 8:34 PM

2004-07-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: #41705

Regular
salem ma
Subject: RE: Newbie-Shoe Question
I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I get a new pair every few months. My feet and calves will hurt after even a shorter run in an old, worn-out pair of sneaks. Instead of the nice cushy bounce, it's like the dull ugh feeling - can definitely feel it.
have fun with your training!!!
2004-08-18 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Joysey
I've been running since I was in 5th grade (which has been a few years) and I go by the calulations of either 500 miles or when you notice small creases in the side cusioning of the shoe, which ever comes first. If your unsure as to where to look, it's just below the outside ankle bone. It's all the padding near the heel. Once you see that there are small creases in the padding, it's usually a good time to replace them. I keep my old shoes (if they're not too worn out) for my light run days and I save the new ones for the training runs.
I also switch it up between 2 pairs of shoes that are relatively around the same wear so that if I get one that gets damaged (trailrunning results in this) or one that provides more stability or is lighter, I don;t have to wait to break them in for race...they're already broken in. This is just how I've always done it. Remeber, do what is right for you. If your knees and arches hurt chances are it's time to replace the shoes.
2004-08-18 6:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
i bought a new pair of brooks running shoes a couple of years ago and never really ran in them. sure, i wore them around some and "excercised" some in them but never put any running miles on them. they even looked really new!! so, when i decided to begin training for a tri, i thought my shoes would be fine for a couple hundred miles or so. after a couple of weeks of 20-30 MIN. run/walks i began to notice that my knees were hurting. it got so bad i had to just walk and not run. i figured i needed new shoes and went to the local running shop. when i told the salesperson my story, she cringed! she said shoes break down over time even though you may not be putting alot running miles on them. wearing them around etc. off and on for 2-3 years will cause significant break down.

long story short- i bought a new pair of shoes and within a couple of days, the knee pain was gone and i'm excited about running again.

my advise is look at how long you have had your shoes and how much you have been wearing them over that time. 6-12 months with consistant use....i'd say its time for new sneaks!! also if you are feeling discomfort as mentioned previously it would be time.

just my own experience!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie-Shoe Question Rss Feed