• 5 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Time in Z1: 16:33
Time in Z2: 15:39
Time in Z3: 8:24
Time in Z4: 12:12
Time in Z4: 0:44
Well, 8.5 min in Z3 and 12 min in Z4 - not such a good idea. But it was hard to hold back. And also, a lot of the trails were single track, so I felt obliged to run so as not to hold up the people behind me.
Stopped once when a few people ahead thought they were lost and were looking at the map - turned out we were OK, just some OCD guy got too worried.
I'm surprised the pace wasn't faster - I was running at a good clip. Either the course is measured short (vaguely possible), or (more likely) I'm just that slow. But, it's a tough course, so what did I expect?
What would you do differently?:

Well, not spend 12min in Zone 4 would be a start...
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Took my time, got dressed.

Wasn't efficient. Should have put a towel down - the ground was damp (frost), so had to struggle to get shoes changed without getting socks wet. Forgot to put bike shorts on over tri-shorts, so had to take shoes off again.
Bike
  • 7h 10m 47s
  • 85.5 miles
  • 11.91 mile/hr
Comments:

OMG, how am I that flipping slow?? I mean, yes the course is a bitch, but that pace is just embarrasing. The pros did it at 20mph.
The course is 3 laps, each one basically up & down 2 peaks in the Shawangunk mountains.
First lap went OK, except that my rear brake was rubbing going up the first climb and I didn't catch it until about 10 miles in. Second lap I was going slow, but got a little excitement when the pros started lapping me.
The third lap was a bitch. Every hill I was in my 37x27, even the small rollers. And on the big hills, every pedal stroke was just painful. My cadence was ridiculously slow. By the start of the third lap, it was apparent that I wouldn't be able to finish the race before sundown. That made it mentally tough to keep on going. Also, the girl that I had been riding near for most of the first two laps pulled off the road along the first climb of the third lap, her head over her handlebars. I don't know if she kept on going, she was talking about throwing in the towel. So after that I didn't see a soul the rest of the ride.
One pickup on the third lap came from the state trooper who was manning one of the few turns. He had already left his post, since virtually everyone was already off the course. He was driving away from the intersection, but then saw me, turned around, went ahead to the intersection and stopped traffic for me. That picked my spirits up just before starting the 2nd long climb. Also, I have to thank all the volunteers, but especially Wayne V from Polar, who stayed out at the mid-loop bike aid station until the very last racers came through.
I really didn't know if I would bother to run at all after the bike. With no chance of finishing, it was mentally tough.

My training has been terrible the past 2 months, and it shows. Not consistent. Bad diet. Too many key long training sessions missed. I did 2 laps of this course at 13.57mph, although without a run before or a third lap. Even so, my poor training has shown.
Transition 2
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

I was embarassed coming back into T2 so late. I had to be one of the last ones. The guy that won cheered me on as I came into T2 though, which was very nice - he was already finished (THAT is fast!). Kudos to him - Josh Beck - the other pros and uber-fast AGers weren't as courteous to the slow-asses like me.
Stopped for a bathroom break. Got shoes on and started running before I had time to think too much about how I had no chance of finishing, so why even keep on going?

Bike faster. Train harder.
Run
  • 2h 15m 49s
  • 10 miles
  • 13m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I DNF-ed. I missed the cutoff to start the final lap of the run (5 miles).
I had back pain for the first few miles, which prevented me from running uphills. And after that I walked the uphills anyway (steep ones at least) since my quads were tired and/or cramping. By the middle of the first loop, and most of the second loop, I really didn't feel too bad - back pain was gone, and quad cramps were only intermittent.
On the 2nd loop I walked more, since I knew there was zero chance I could keep on going, even though I entertained thoughts of sneaking by and starting another lap anyway. The trails were rooty and rocky and I didn't need a broken or twisted ankle, or to get lost out there after dark and turn into dinner for a family of bears.
Many who have done this race say it's harder than an ironman. So I guess I can't be too upset I didn't finish given my level of preparation. I'm happy I at least did 10 miles of the 2nd run, since I knew I wouldn't finish anyway.

Bike faster. Train harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some food, had a beer, drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor training & bad diet.
Only 42 people finished the race (35male, 7 female). 73 were registered. Don't know how many started.

Event comments:

The people that do this race are incredible. I was talking to one woman afterwards - her rear derailleur cable broke during the bike, so she did about a full lap with her rear derailleur stuck in the smallest (toughest) cog. I don't know HOW she was able to do that. I was in my biggest cog and even then was struggling. THAT is impressive.

Last updated: 2006-08-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:33 | 05 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
AvgHR 174
Course: Hilly trail run. No aid available on the first run, I guess we didn't really need it, but would have been nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 03:06
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
07:10:47 | 85.5 miles | 11.91 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
AvgHR: 137 MaxHR: 185 Z1: 4:13:27 Z2: 2:40:52 Z3: 6:24 Z4: 6:20 Z5: 3:44
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly. Course is 3 loops, each of which goes up 2 peaks in the Shawangunk mountains, with some rollers mixed in.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:15:49 | 10 miles | 13m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Lap 1: 1:01:21 (12:16/mi) Lap 2: 1:14:28 (14:54/mi) AvgHR 145 MaxHR 172
Course: Hilly trail run
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-16 10:24 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: American Zofingen Ultra Duathlon

2006-10-17 7:11 AM
in reply to: #570524

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Subject: RE: American Zofingen
Hey Tom,

That sounds like you were tired. I had a bike ride very early this year and felt just like you described on some of the later hills. I don't think it was overtraining as much as it was too early for me. Either way, I felt like crap and the legs just would not go. Hang in there and rest up. Those legs will come back!

We are having your weather today, rainy and cold!
2006-10-17 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Hey, bro, sounds like a tough race.  Every once in a while a tough outing isn't a bad thing; it fuels the fire for the next time.  In the meantime, I hope the event itself was fun and that you enjoyed the day, as it were.

What's next?  

2006-10-17 8:55 AM
in reply to: #570601

User image

Elite
New City, New York
That is one hardcore event. Kudos to you for attempting it.  Just shows w/ proper training you definately could have completed it. I'm local and have entertained the thought for next season but evidently I'm not as crazy as you! Again congrats on a great effort. 
2006-10-17 9:04 AM

Pro
Andover
Damn... What a day. I give you credit for taking on such a challenge buddy and Hats Off for heading out on the run--that's the spirit!

I’m considering this one for next year so maybe we can get some training in and you can go back and show this course who’s boss?!?!?!
2006-10-17 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
I've spent a little time at Mohonk Mtn House so I know the area a little. . The terrain up there is unforgiving! My hat is off to you for even trying this race because I know it must be really hard.

Heading back out on the run was an act of willpower and that's the part of the day I think you should remember.

c

2006-10-17 11:25 AM

Expert
Way to go...that is one brutal course and you came pretty darn close to finishing it. That takes some serious will power to head out on that run when you know you won't be able to finish. This will definately make you a better athlete.

Mark
2006-10-17 1:34 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Kudos to you for attempting that race!  It is brutally challenging from what I have heard and you did a great job completing as much of it as you did--especially knowing that you weren't going to be an offical "finisher".  Still, congratulations for sticking it out as long as you did and I'm sure you'll have a chance to come back & take on the whole course one day.
2006-10-18 6:03 AM

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: American Zofingen Ultra Duathlon
My hat is off to you Tom just for getting to the start line on this one.

You should feel proud that you got through as much of it as you did.

Next year you will take it like nobody's business!
2006-10-18 7:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Glad you kept going buddy!  From you description, it sounds like it was a tough as hell race.  I can't image running those kinds of distances after biking in the mountains for that long.  Sounds all out brutal. 
2006-10-19 6:52 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Great race even with the DNF!!! It takes a lot of character to keep racing even though the cutoff is staring at you!! Way to go!!

2006-10-20 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Great race!  Tremendouts mental toughness to forge on knowing you wouldn't be allowed to finish.  Next year we'll be reading how you not only finished but won your AG. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » American Zofingen Ultra Duathlon Rss Feed