Emerald Coast Events Commision
54F / 12C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 19m 22s
Overall Rank = 25/115
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Up 2 hrs before race. Shower, protein shake, cup of coffee. Off to race site dressed against the chill. Got set up, body marked, wandered around and chatted with a few folks. The organizers had moved the start time up by 30 minutes, then they acted as if they forgot. Not organized at all.
Event warmup:

20 min before start I took a GU and some water, then got off my overclothes and headed to the beach. I jogged for about 10 min with one pick up. Got in the water, nice and warm compared to the air, and swam for about 5 minutes. Then I had to get back out and stand in the cold waiting on the start. The race actually got started only about 10 min late though, probably due to a high number DNS's (weather related I think.)
Swim
  • 09m 28s
  • 580 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was crystal clear, but I still had trouble picking up someone to draft off of. This was a fairly agressive group, espcially with the shotgun start. That was the primary problem. I was able to make myself some room eventually (sometimes you just have to be "assertive" to get people off your back). I managed to have a fairly good overall swim and still came out of the water not too tired or drained.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Includes 1 min for run from beach to transition. Not exact, but much closer than "official" splits.
What would you do differently?:

Try to choose my rack closer to the path through transition.
Bike
  • 44m 21s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out with a bit of trouble getting my feet in and was passed by a couple of folks. Quickly reeled them back in. Thus began a tough slog through the wind. I was trying to push without burning up too much leg energy. I looked down early and found my HR was at 161, which is LT for me, and backed off a little. The wind was primarily across the course, but gusted and swirled severly around the many beach high rises, so you were frequently hit by a sudden headwind, just like someone grabbed your bike, then it would push you into the road. This was a flat ride, but not very fast b/c of the winds.

I've found that the closer to the front I come out of the water, the tougher the race gets on the bike. I passed and was passed by a few, probably netted out very close to even. So, my swim is better, but less thrills by passsing a lot of folks on the bike now. That's a fair trade I guess, but means I need to work more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

The dismount line slipped up on me, and I barely got out of my shoes in time. Also, had to rack the bike twice to get it to stay right. Otherwise a very good transition. To get much faster I'm going to have to forego socks on the run. Not there yet.
Run
  • 22m 53s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Again, this time is based off my watch and calculations from my bike computer, with T2 time from official results. I truly believe it is a more accurate split than the "official" one, and is still slower than what I had from my watch initially.

For me, this was an absolutely stellar run. Easily my fastest to date. 6 months ago I couldn't run a mile, now I'm close to 7 min/mile at the end of a sprint. HR training works, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I came out of T1, nice and cool thanks to the weather, well hydrated, and having had a gel at the end of the bike. The first thing I noticed was that from the ball of my foot forward was pretty much numb. I had decided to give this run my all, and I did. I paid no attention to the HR monitor at all during run. After I got my legs under me I just started mentally chanting "quick feet, quick feet...." to try and keep a high turnover. I was looking for mmakbenton to come up on me somewhere, as he is a much faster runner than I am, and I was planning on using him as my run "rabbit." I actually passed about 3 people on the way out. Just after the turnaround I saw Mike - only about a hundred yards behind me. I "knew" I was doomed to be caught, so I started picking up the pace the best I could, and my mental chant changed to "run with your heart." I still expected to be caught, but was determined to prolong the chase as long as possible. Amazingly I passed one or two more people, and turned the corner to the finish without being passed by anyone else. In fact only a very few folks passed me anywhere on the run, which is incredibly atypical for me. I crossed the line, gave my name and number, turned around and there was Mikel He had been gnawing at my heels, but I didn't know b/c I never looked back.

I discovered a few things, for me, at this race. 1. I do much better in cool weather. 2. In a race the HR monitor can only hold you back, maybe important in a longer race, but not necessary or good at a sprint. It is cool to "run with your heart." 3. I can still run, I just need to train long. I did well here, b/c of the oly training this summer. I bombed on the run at my oly b/c I just hadn't put in the miles I needed, and hadn't built a true oly base yet. 4. Racing with and against friends provides just a little more motivation. (Thanks to the Benton wolfpack! :) )

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was about as perfect a run as I can imagine at this stage of my "career."
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and gatorade. Cheered in a few other folks, including benton4 (2nd in her age group) and a friend of hers. Put on some wind pants and walked around chatting until lunch was reasdy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I still have a base to work on, but I'm completely satisfied with my performance at this race. 2nd in my age group is much better than I hoped for.

Event comments:

This was the fourth in a series, and it seems the organizers either got a little complacent, or were just tired. Not horrible, just slack. The official results look accurate for total times, but are way off on the splits. The t-shirts were late and had a wrong date on them, etc.... Overall the race was OK, and participants said it usually is much better. I may do this one again next summer if it falls at a convienent time.

Last updated: 2006-10-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:28 | 580 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 23/115
Performance: Average
Swim time is off my watch. Need to add about 1 minute for run up to transition, around a deck on very slippery concrete. Official time is 12:05, but is obviously wrong because that puts me well behind 3 people that I know I beat out of the water.
Suit:
Course: Out, parrallel to shore, and back in; two buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:21 | 15.3 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Overall: 30/115
Avg HR 157, max 161.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back along beach road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:53 | 03.25 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 26/115
Avg HR 164, max 167.
Course: Out and back, closed course, flat. Cool, breezy, and overcast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-18 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series #4

2006-10-18 4:13 PM
in reply to: #572069

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series #4

Nice race... I'll always have a soft spot for my first tri...

bts 

2006-10-18 5:01 PM
in reply to: #572069

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Triathlon Series #4
Great RR!  Can't believe how messed up the splits are.  I *know* I can't run 3.25mi in 25 minutes and that's what they have my run split down for.  In my dreams.... <sigh>  Definitely an awesome day in spite of the crappy race organization.  I look forward to meeting up with you again next season.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Triathlon Series #4 Rss Feed