General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-20 9:58 AM

User image

Subject: Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River
Hi,

I am a real newbie and would like to find out about the water conditions in the Hudson River before signing up. Although it seems like a prestigious race, for me, the water quality is more important determining factor.

Is it true that the water smells, it's dirty and there are things that are floating in the water.

Is it also true that you have to jump to start your swim?

Thank you,
de

2006-10-20 1:54 PM
in reply to: #573606

User image

Expert
Carmel
Subject: RE: Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River
Smells: NO. All open water smells, is it like garbage or nasty.

Things floating: For the most part NO, there is some drift wood and maybe a piece of paper but you are not navigating through stuff. It is a large river that feeds into huge bodies of water so there is more in it than a small lake or pond.

Jump to start: You jump in the water but not to start. You jump in and then hold a rope until your wave goes off.

The water quality passes by USAT standards and two years ago it still passed even after rain. You are not going to get sick, you are not going to smell. It is a fun race. The Hudson has really cleaned up over the past few years. Don't let the rep of NYC being dirty and the water being dirty scare you. Its not like that at all.

Just to let you know, I'm not just someone who raced this event, I grew up in New York City and I'm a NYC Police Officer so take it for what its worth.
2006-10-31 6:54 PM
in reply to: #573606

User image

Regular
New York,
Subject: RE: Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River

There was a cancellation one year due to bacteria levels being too high.

In my opinion I think it would be ok but then again I grew up in Bklyn swimming in some questionable water and I am ok now I think I think I think, click so go for it.

Tongue out

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nautica NYC Tri - Hudson River Rss Feed