Copps indoor
15C / 59F
Overcast
Total Time = 31m
Overall Rank = 94/179?
Age Group = Senior Boys
Age Group Rank = 94/179?
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race routine? Well for starters, I woke up at about 6:30 to be at the school for 7:45. No, not so that we could get to the meet. I had to write my calculus test that I would have otherwise missed :). So, as you might have guessed my day got off to a really REALLY good start :P. So 9:45 came around and we left for the ~5min jaunt to Bronte Provincial Park. From there we grabbed a picnic table (close to the team my unofficial running coach is on). So then we set up to walk the course. It was just us two Senior boys as we have a diffent course from the rest of our team. It seemed like a nice course until we got to the "hill". The hill was certainly doable, especially after doing those Salomon Step-up races. But MUDDY! Oh! There were 3-4 semi-plataeus where the mudd all pooled on the incline, and there was nowhere else to go! That would be a problem later on.

So we sat and watch some of the other races. One of our Midget boys had a 10th place in the 5k, the other a PB. Our senior girl also had her best result this season with a 28:0 5k.

So Eric and I donned our shoes and went for a warm-up once the Senior girls race started.
Event warmup:

After running between the racecourse and the washroom, I went on a 10 min jaunt around part of our course and down past the start area. Made it back in time to watch Sarah finish. Then a little stretch to lossen up and off to the start line.

Me being the odd one that I am, realized that i do run better off the bike than on (while that is changing...), so I bent over and "pedaled" an imaginary bike. Go me. :)
Run
  • 31m
  • 7.05 kms
  • 04m 24s  min/km
Comments:

The gun went of and right away all hell broke loose. About 50 meters in the course waaaaay narrowed and turned. So right off the bat everyone rushes to the right, where we are! It reminded me of a tri swim start, so I used a little bit of tri magic... You get shoved, shove 'em back harder! Yeah! so we got out onto the trail and it wasn't much better. the shoving had stopped but when you throw 200 16-17 year old males onto a trail only ment for 5 people wide... I was SO packed. I couldn't open up my stride, to pass you had to jump off the trial, dodge a tree ad get back in. All to take one position!. About half-way throught the loop it opened up and I could start to pick it up. Once we got to the hill the HR sky rocketed. Up and down, and running through those mud puddles? shoes now submerged and brown. So we crossed the start/finish line again my HR didn't comeback down unil a KM later. But I tend to run negative splits so I was able to run faster this lap around as it wasn't as crowded. YAY! Since I don't start as agressivly aqs the others I was starting to reel in those who passed me earlier. I took it a tad easier up the hill this time so I could hammer down it and go for it the last 3/4km. at the bottom of the hill there was a path where a lot of spectators had started to gather. This is where I recieved my double azz slap. The sacrifices I make for a mental "boost" late in the race ;)

Now the fun part, where a former power will reign. The final meters. I picked it up once I could see the line, and up to a 400m pace about 150m out we rounded a bend and went all out. like 50m dash pace. I passed one guy, left another behind, and started to catch another. I pushed as hard as I could to catch that guy, but I ended up A STRIDE AND A HALF behind him at the line!

What would you do differently?:

Outside of a less conjested course, I think I would have pushed off with my calves more going up the hill. I think it would have brought my HR down a bit and set me up for the downhill.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed my chute number, and grabbed a bench so I could get some air. Then i stopped my watch. The official times are waaay off so this time is a guess. Then I packed up my stuff and we left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Congestion on the course. And my running. And the fact that I couldn't gain a few more seconds in TA :P

Last updated: 2006-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:00 | 07.05 kms | 04m 24s  min/km
Age Group: 94/179?
Overall: 94/179?
Performance:
Course: two loop course. One hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-10-21 11:07 AM

Master
Subject: CTK - Bronte (pre-GHAC)

2006-10-21 7:21 PM
in reply to: #574352

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: CTK - Bronte (pre-GHAC)
WOW that is uber fast!! I can;t even run 5K that fast   Great job and hope you aced the calculus too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CTK - Bronte (pre-GHAC) Rss Feed