General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-10-23 4:45 PM

Maryland
Subject: Paleo Diet
Just this past Friday, i finished reading the Paleo Diet For Athletes by Cordain and Friel. Basically, it promotes eating like we did pre Agricultural Revolution. I found it pretty convincing, and since Sunday have completely cut out grains and dairy products. So far, I've been feeling pretty hungry, even though I've been eating a lot more. I was just wondering if any of you had started the same diet and what your thoughts on it are.

2006-10-23 4:49 PM
in reply to: #576042

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Subject: RE: Paleo Diet
Go into Nutrition.  KathyG has had a lot of success.
2006-10-23 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Tri'ing for weightloss, sorry.
2006-10-23 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Northern California
Viking08 - 2006-10-23 2:45 PM

Just this past Friday, i finished reading the Paleo Diet For Athletes by Cordain and Friel. Basically, it promotes eating like we did pre Agricultural Revolution. I found it pretty convincing, and since Sunday have completely cut out grains and dairy products. So far, I've been feeling pretty hungry, even though I've been eating a lot more. I was just wondering if any of you had started the same diet and what your thoughts on it are.

Most people are more lactose intolerant than they think, so cutting out (most) dairy might not be a bad idea -- cutting out grains (whole grains) would, IMHO, be a detriment to my triathlon training.

I tend to distrust ANY diet regimen that tries to convince me to completely eliminate one type of food to magically unlock the secret of weight loss.

2006-10-23 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation
Conversely, you could follow the Caveman diet and just run until you can felled a Mastadon.  Lot of protein though.
2006-10-23 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
I have the book but have only read parts of it. So, I don't have an informed opinion of the whole concept yet, but I keep wondering something. Just because the cave man didn't have grains available to him doesn't mean he wouldn't have benefitted from eating them if you gave them to him (assuming his gut flora had a couple weeks to adapt to grains) or could have done an IM by carbo loading with them. So, it doesn't logically follow (for me anyway) that grains are bad for you because the caveman didn't eat them.

Edited by Birkierunner 2006-10-23 5:01 PM

2006-10-23 5:07 PM
in reply to: #576070

User image

Champion

Without going into specifics or stating my opinion of the diet, the concept is that you should eat what the human body has evolved to eat.  If humans were never introduced to grains, then it's not optimal for our health and survival having never introduced evolutional pressure on our development as a species.

Again, not stating an opinion on anything.  Just trying to clarify the concept.

Birkierunner - 2006-10-23 4:59 PM I have the book but have only read parts of it. So, I don't have an informed opinion of the whole concept yet, but I keep wondering something. Just because the cave man didn't have grains available to him doesn't mean he wouldn't have benefitted from eating them if you gave them to him (assuming his gut flora had a couple weeks to adapt to grains) or could have done an IM by carbo loading with them. So, it doesn't logically follow (for me anyway) that grains are bad for you because the caveman didn't eat them.

2006-10-23 6:06 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

I expiremented with it over the summer before I lost my training mojo and switched to the Dunkin Donuts and beer diet. I loved it. I became a meat eater after being a vegetarian for 20 years so that I could try this way of eating. I felt like what I was eating wasn't the best thing for all the training i was doing. It took about 10 days to get over the tired, sluggish feeling and then I felt GREAT! And I finally lost some weight, too.

I modified it a bit. I decided that I could not eliminate both dairy AND soy, so I chose to continue eating soy and dropped all dairy.

I will get back on this diet again soon, but for now I am just getting used to training again.

2006-10-23 6:07 PM

User image

Champion

Did caveman drink massive amounts of coffee?

Just wondering.

2006-10-23 6:11 PM
in reply to: #576168

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

DerekL - 2006-10-23 7:07 PM

Did caveman drink massive amounts of coffee?

Just wondering.

From my research?  Yes.

2006-10-23 9:48 PM
in reply to: #576056

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I understand where you're coming from but take a moment to consider the details.  We're not talking about cutting out carbs...just certain types of carbs that our bodies have not evolved to digest like grains.  And we're not talking about unlocking any secrets.  The goal is to fuel your body with the same fuels it is optimized to use...meats, nuts, fresh fruits and veggies.  The Paleo diet for athletes makes certain allowances for sports drinks and recovery drinks but otherwise you can easily get plenty of carbs from fresh fruits and veggies...I easily eat 5-8 servings of fresh fruit and 5-8 servings of fresh veggies every day.  I also keep my pastas and grains to a minimum.  I certainly don't feel like my training has suffered.  If you are serious about giving it a fair shot then at least ready the book, which is supported by lots of peer-reviewed research, and see what you think about the evidence they present.

coachese - 2006-10-23 5:50 PM  -- cutting out grains (whole grains) would, IMHO, be a detriment to my triathlon training. I tend to distrust ANY diet regimen that tries to convince me to completely eliminate one type of food to magically unlock the secret of weight loss.

2006-10-23 9:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I do a modified Paleo diet much like Joel. I often eat 250 grams of carbs with none of it from grains...but instead fruits and veggies. I top 10 servings combined of fruits & veggies most days.

I agree it takes an adjustment period like someone else said. I think it has done wonders for me...I feel better, my training this year has gone great, I've improved a lot, I think it is the best way for me to eat. My body does not deal with processed carbs well which includes pasta and flour based things. I don't eat white stuff...no white potatos, white rice, bread, sugar, flour except for the odd time here and there.

My marginal carbs or treat carbs are sweet potatos and wild rice.

I know you have read the book and are giving it ago..stick with it. For others before you pass judgement, read the whole book...see what you think and if you give it a try, try to stick with it for 4 weeks or so to get your body time to adjust and then see how you do after that adjustment period.

2006-10-23 11:16 PM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
i'm glad this came up. see Mr Freb's post.

we really don't need a hamburger a day.
2006-10-24 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
yeah I want to try it but during marathon season I figure I stick to what I know. now that I think marathon season might be done for me for this year I may switch to it soon. my friend told me all about it. I do agree you ahve to be smart. my friend did not want to blow her diet during chicago marathoin and she made great time but I think if she drank more gatarade than water she may have done better.
2006-10-24 12:31 PM

User image

Runner
I guess my issue is that we don't know what they ate. Fact is, there's a reason why we started growing certain things as crops. Because we already ate them and knew they were a safe source of food. We didn't invent corn, or potatoes or whole grains. They existed, and chances are they were part of a gatherer's diet at least in some part.
2006-10-24 12:40 PM

User image

we NEED carbs. without them, the whole Citric Acid Cycle will come to a grinding halt. the question is - how much and what kind. it's not all that well understood.

without glucose the body can't function. the liver can generate glucose from amino acids (eskimos are really good at that) but it's a last ditch resort.

you're right, Scout. nobody will ever know what the cavemen ate, but we DO know that the body needs carbs. maybe we should look at what Chimpanzees eat instead of cooking up obscure diets?

2006-10-24 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
The book never says to cut out carbs. It merely makes the case that grains are an inferior source of carbohydrates compared to fruits and vegetables. For every 100 calories of a food you ingest, you get more vitamins and nutrients from fruits and vegetables than from grains, therefore limiting grain optimizes your diet. It also makes the case that the body is best served by ingesting carbohydrate immediately before and after exercise, so during sedentary periods calories should come more (not exclusively) from protein-rich sources.
2006-10-24 2:16 PM

Maryland
i'm definitly going to stick with it, but i've been feeling pretty hungry, especially after school, so i might add whole grain pasta once a day. Is that how you felt at the beginning, Kathy and Joel? Also, do you cook up a lot of meat for the week or the next day? thanks for all the replies.
2006-10-24 2:18 PM
in reply to: #577344

User image

point taken. i was half-adressing the Atkins diet. some people take the Paleo diet as an excuse for it.

but our digestive system didn't evolve during the last 100,000 years. it's way older than that. how can a diet advocate eating meat/proteins when our ancestors weren't capable of hunting until very recently? humans are opportunist eaters, just like pigs, rats and bears. what's even remotely edible will get eaten.

i think we should just stick to reading the labels on the food we buy. the fewer ingredients the better.
2006-10-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: #577344

User image

Runner
wyecrab - 2006-10-24 3:10 PM

It merely makes the case that grains are an inferior source of carbohydrates compared to fruits and vegetables. For every 100 calories of a food you ingest, you get more vitamins and nutrients from fruits and vegetables than from grains, therefore limiting grain optimizes your diet.

Wait, what? I don't know that agree with those statements. If you strictly mean refined grains, I might, but not whole grains. In fact, whole grains contain certain nutrients that fruits and vegetables do not. Additionally, whole grains are a good source of dietary fiber. Some fruits are as well, don't get me wrong.
2006-10-24 2:38 PM

User image

if you forage like a pig you'll get all the fibers you'll ever need

2006-10-24 3:01 PM

Maryland
accoridng to the book, "Whole grains contain numerous substances called antinutrients that can impair nutrient absorption or adversly affect health in a variety of ways." He then goes on to describe Phytic acid which binds to calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc and ihibits their absoprtion into the body.
2006-10-24 3:14 PM

User image

take it with a grain (haha, i kill myself) of salt.

do you know that exercise is detrimental to the body? you're killing off red blood cells by the billions every time you run.

everything you do with or put into your body has good and bad effects. highlighting the bad won't educate you about the good.
2006-10-24 3:15 PM
in reply to: #577431

User image

Runner
Viking08 - 2006-10-24 4:01 PM

accoridng to the book, "Whole grains contain numerous substances called antinutrients that can impair nutrient absorption or adversly affect health in a variety of ways." He then goes on to describe Phytic acid which binds to calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc and ihibits their absoprtion into the body.

http://www.phytochemicals.info/phytochemicals/phytic-acid.php

Phytic acid has been considered as an anti-nutritional component in cereals, seeds and beans. Research has traditionally focused on its structure that gives it the ability to bind minerals, proteins and starch, and the resulting lower absorption of these elements. However, resent research have shown that phytic acid has many health promoting effects. Phytic acid has antioxidant, anticarcinogenic, hypocholesterolemic and hypolipidemic effects.
In animal studies phytic acid showed a protective action in carcinogenesis. This action could be explained by its mineral chelating potential.
Phytic acid lowers blood glucose response by reducing the rate of starch digestion and slowing the gastric emptying.
Phytic acid releases inositol that during digestion. Although inositol is not an essential nutrient it might reduce depressions.
2006-10-24 3:22 PM

Maryland
i stand corrected
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Paleo Diet Rss Feed  

of 2