LeSalle Bank
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 19m 14s
Overall Rank = 2672/40,000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 489/3488
Pre-race routine:

This starts with the pre race meal the night before, Pasta, of course. The Get-Fit Atlanta group was represented well here. Everyone looked ready to go. This is where I developed some definite pre-race nervousness. The culmination of all the training I have been doing, and the verification that I have been improving was all starting to weigh a little bit. Well, more than a little bit.

Next morning, woke up at 5:00 am, got dressed for the cold conditions outside. This was to be the coldest marathon I have ever run, maybe even the coldest event I've ever done outside of a 5k. I put on my race ready shorts, two long sleeve technical shirts, my shoes, and was ready to head over to the Hilton palmer house to meet up with the Get-Fit group.
Event warmup:

After meeting with the group and taking pictures, it was off to the start. About a mile walk from the hotel. I checked a bag, and headed to the corrals. I was with a great friend who helped keep me in check a little bit as we weaved through the crowds to get to our respective starting locations. I had my incentive, and I was focused and ready. I got to the front of the open division and climbed a fence to get in. There was no way that I was going to start back and compromise my chance at my goal.. which was 1. Run a 3:35, or two, just break my PR, which was a 3:49.

So, all of that stuff was my warmup. I drank a boost 25 min prior to start, and did not do a pre race GU as planned.
Run
  • 3h 19m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

The Race started and all of the runners around me, including myself, walked to the start line. I was slightly worried that there would be more walking on the course, that whole stop go stop go thing, but was surpised and very happy that literally, as soon as I got to the start, we were all able to run, and never look back. No stop and go or anything.

So I headed out, knowing I could reach my goal of 3:35, but as any marathoner can attest, you never know. Injuries, bad day, whatever. There are lots of things that can derail a race. The one thing that I 100 percent knew I had was the right training, and the right taper.

The first 5k was pretty uneventful. I was trying to get a feel for what my body was ready to give this day. It was crowded. I passed a number of people, but was not dodging decidedly slower runners.

At Chicago, they time every 5k, along with the Half and the Finish. Timing mats in all of those locations. I really appreciated that. My first 5k finish was completed in 24:25. It would later show to be the slowest 5k of the day.

The race continued on. I did short race management evaluations about every 5 minutes. When I say race management, I am talking about how I was managing my own race in my head. I knew things were going well, but was constantly unaware of how well. (mental note: I need to invent a watch that will not only give me race time and splits, but projected finish time too). Had I known where I was at, or I guess bothered to do that math, I would have seen that I was not only on pace to beat my PR and my goal time, I was on pace to give a shot toward qualifying for Boston. Something I had never entertained as even being remotely possible. The 3:15 I needed seemed far too out of reach.

Once I reached the half marathon point and saw my time was 1:40, I knew that doubling that would give me a 3:20. Now is when I started to ask myself the question.. 'do I have boston in me'? I knew that I could negative split this race, it was just a matter of by how much. I needed to do ~1:35 to get boston.

The race continued on. I battled aches and pains along the way and felt what most everyone else feels at 20 miles.. like my legs had just raced 20 miles, but I didn't feel any sort of fatigue. At 21, I was completely focused and ready to kill the last 5 miles. I knew I picked up the pace, and knew that boston was still 'possible', remotely, but i've learned to race this year, and this last few miles became a whole new race. There was no reason to doubt, and no reason to not try. I knew I had people watching my time and I used them for inspiration.. thinking.. so and so might be watching on the computer.. and I know this person is watching etc.. That helps me. It's not that I want to prove anything, but it is that I want to maybe put a smile on their face when I do well. I don't know, I just like knowing I have people rooting me on. My parents and siblings don't get this whole thing, so I turn to others.. hmm.. back to the race report. :)

So here I am, running the last 5 k, when I realize at some point.. mile 24 or so that boston will not be possible this time. Im not understating things when I say that it upset me to realize this. This was my 10th Marathon. I had never done better than a 3:49, and most of the 10 were somwhere in the 4's. So, to get so close, and not do it, hurt a little bit. Yes, I started the day wanting a 3:35 and not even remotely considering boston, but that knowledge does not make it easier to take. So many questions lie ahead in terms of that.. can I actually beat the 3:15.. was this a one off race.., will I fall back to where I usually am. Why am I getting better all of the sudden? I'm far to analitical to let any one quesstion slide. I can't just simply think.. 'your faster, don't question it.'

So.. again, back to the race. I held on strong for the final push, no quit, no give. I crossed the finish line at 3:19:14 exactly 3 minutes and 15 seconds shy of the last second I would have needed to qualify.

Incidentals.. I took vanilla Gu at miles 7, 13, 17, and 21. Drank mostly gatorade in small sips at every stop, and never stopped to walk. I took two advil at mile 13.

I raced in 'race ready' shorts.. I will never run a marathon in anything different. They are the best invention ever. I imagine one day they will be pervasive in marathons.

It was brutally cold out there.. windy as heck, a slight drizzle in the beginning. I had no problem with any of it.

5k splits:
5k: 24:25 - 24:25 - first 5k
10k: 48:21 - 23:56 - second 5k
15k: 1:12:08 - 23:47 - third 5k
20k: 1:35:28 - 23:20 - fourth 5k
Half Marathon: 1:40:27
25k: 1:58:28 - 23:00 - fifth 5k
30k: 2:22:02 - 23:34 - sixth 5k
35k: 2:45:58 - 23:56 - seventh 5k
40k: 3:08:50 - 22:52 - eighth 5k
Finish: 3:19:14
What would you do differently?:

Not much to say here. I had a great race and I know it. Writing this report has actually helped me come to terms with the whole boston thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my gear bag and waited on friends to finish. I saw Heather finish at 3:54 and was beyond excited for her. Amy came across at 4:33 and several other get fitters came across as well. Still, my bt and get fit buddies made me very proud. A little side note. I took over 30 minutes off of my PR. Heather took somewhere around 50 off of hers. Amazing. Amy did awesome and now has a PR that she can aim to beat next time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing.

Event comments:

Chicago is a great event. It is done very well. Amazing volunteers and spectators. Even in the cold, the people were out in force and the energy was amazing.

Last updated: 2006-06-29 12:00 AM
Running
03:19:14 | 26.2 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 489/3488
Overall: 3488/40,000
Performance: Good
Course: Streets of Chicago. Nice course.. Nicer on the North half for sure, but overall, a decent, course with the perfect amount of turns.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-24 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2006-10-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: #577121

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon

Great race, and very nice report on it.  I am in awe of anyone who runs marathon, esp. those who do it with an eye towards Boston.  It's an awesome race, but so is Chicago!  You earned a great day in the cold.  Running your best is its own reward, isn't it?

Hope to see you in Boston, someday, maybe...I am still tempted to run the marathon.  I know the pain of miles 19 and 20 and am sure that another 10K on top of that would be brutal.  Mind over matter; if you don't mind, then it doesn't matter. 

Anyway, again great race!  your 10th and a new PR by **30 minutes**! 

2006-10-25 9:41 AM

User image

Great report...I love knowing what people are thinking out there...it looks like everyone is just ready to get it over with but glad to know someone else's mind was active like mine. Thanks for the pre race pep talk and post race excitement. The whole event was the perfect experience. I will post my race report very very soon....

Congrats...I definitely see Boston in your future..dont question it--just go out there and do it.

Next year could be quite the year for u for sure!
2006-10-25 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
You are AWESOME! I'm very proud of your accomplishment and excited to see what else you have to bring! You are a great friend and I look forward to many more adventures like this past weekend.

-my music's so loud...bumpin'....
r.d.
2006-10-25 10:25 AM

User image

Expert
Fantastic report!!   Congratulations on absolutely SMASHING your old PR.  Very impressive.  Sounds like your next goal is to qualify for Boston
2006-10-25 11:20 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job Ron and you know you shouldn't beat yourself up about Boston. What an unexpected and great suprised, but I do understand the disappointment.

Its not a freak one-time thing! You're contantly improving and your training is coming through. I think the bike is making you better.

2006-10-25 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Congrats on a great race.  It sounds like you had the run of your lifetime and I am sure that there are only many more to come in the future.  Take some time to enjoy it - it wasn't a fluke and you'll BQ soon - I'm sure of it.

Ugh - who knew that you were going to throw in a 'who can BQ race first?' race into my immediate plans. 

Hope you are warmed up from the chilly streets of Chicago and basking in your accomplishment!

2006-10-25 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Wow - great job! I agree with everyone else - this was definately not a fluke. You have really been dedicated this year and all your hard work is paying off. Taking 30 minutes off your PR is awesome - I'm so excited for you! Now you can think about BQing in your next races - you have a new goal to shoot for!

BTW - watching your progression and how much you are improving really inspires me. It makes me think I might actually get faster like that one day!

2006-10-25 9:17 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Good job on the Chicago!
2006-10-25 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Amazing results Ron. Your tm on Monday was very exciting. We were impressed, surprised, in awe of this accomplishment. What a great season ending feather in your hat! Looking forward to hearing the high notes real time.

H.

...I feel so slow.
2006-10-26 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Great job on a great race, Ron.  I love how you reported on your thought patterns during the race.   That really brings a perspective to all this that we can learn from and gain inspiration in your great accomplishments.

2006-10-26 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Great job on controlling your race. As previously posted, that was some nice race related insight in your race report. I was there for my first marathon, and guess I was just to absorbed in the surroundings to remember much of my actual thoughts during the race. Even though you didn't BQ during this race, it is obvious that you are not far from it. Congrats on an awesome run and time!
2006-10-26 11:10 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

FABULOUS RACE!  And like MarkK said, it's great to "read" the thoughts of an experienced marathoner (Chicago was my first too).  You'll get to Boston next year-no doubt about it

Atlanta to Chicago!  Of course you felt the chill...but it didn't slow you down!

Edited by CindyK 2006-10-26 11:12 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed