General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports Classic - Cary, NC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports Classic - Cary, NC - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log
Cary, North Carolina
United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 17s
Overall Rank = 220/643
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/83
Pre-race routine:

Awoke at 5:30am. Didn't sleep very well. Had a nutrigrain bar, glass of orange juice. Took hot shower to loosen up a little. Grabbed race bag, a protein shake and headed for the race site. Short drive, 10 minutes.
Event warmup:

Slow jog for approximately 15 minutes. It was cold so left on heavy jacket, gloves and sweats. Took them off just before heading to the starting line.
Run
  • 1h 52m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

First four miles were mostly down hill and somewhat uneventful. Took it real easy. Slowest mile of the race was the first mile :) Turned off main road onto greenway around lake at fourth mile. Settled into a good sustainable pace. Started to sprinkle around mile five. Hit turn around at 6.75 miles. Hooked up with two guys that were running about same pace. Three of us paced out next three miles in 8:20, 8:00, 7:50. Way faster than I intended but I was feeling pretty good. Back onto road with 2.5 miles to go. Had to climb the hills for the final 2 miles. Wish I had a gel. Started to cramp at the 11 mile mark. Last two miles were not very fast but considering the hills I was happy with them. Good to see the family at the finish line. Great feeling of accomplishment for first half-mary.
What would you do differently?:

Need to figure out in-race nutrition.
Post race
Warm down:

Started a cold rain at the finish line so got back to the car and home asap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on hill training. This race would be much better if I had planned on the in-race nutrition. Took water at each of the aid stations but enough to keep up the pace.

Event comments:

Well organized. Who decided that the course should begin with a two mile downhill and end with a two mile uphill? Overall it was a great race. I would definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2006-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:17 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/83
Overall: 220/643
Performance: Good
Course: Down hill for the first three of miles. Flat to slightly up hill till 7 mile mark. Flat to slightly down hill to 10 mile mark. Back up hill for last three miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-24 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Inside Out Sports Classic - Cary, NC

2006-10-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #577397

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports Classic
awesome job. i dream of running a sub 2. kudos!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports Classic - Cary, NC Rss Feed