LeSalle Bank
38F / 3C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 33m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Set my clothes out the night before. packed my gear bag. ate pasta with family. tried not to freak out. all in all though I was pretty calm for the night before my first of many marathons. slept good. got up and went to meet my friends to take pictures and we walked to the start together.
Event warmup:

walk to the start. who needs to warm up when you are about to run 26 miles. I used my first mile to warm up.
Run
  • 4h 33m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at the pace I had set for myself and stayed with it for the first 6 miles or so. Then I picked up the pace (a little) for the next four miles and tried to get into a steady stride/pace. I felt good at this point and I had no worries. By the time mile 13 came I was feeling nauseous and my legs and feet were already hurting. I knew this was going to be tough from this point on. On my training runs (particularly the 18 or 21 mile runs) I didn't really start to feel bad until mile 18. I wasn't expecting to feel tired/sore/pain until much later in the race. I found the big orange sign with my goal pace on it and vowed to stay with him for the next few miles and then I would go faster. At mile 16 I was so annoyed with my insoles I stopped and took them out-left them on the side of the road. this is where I lost my 3 mins to meet my goal and I lost the sign. So anyways I kept counting down the miles one by one and it seemed like they got farther and farther apart. I kept debating wether to get a drink or even gu because everytime I did I felt sick afterwards-even with water. Except I was so thirsty I couldn't pass up a drink. Eventually mile 21 came and then 22...so I just thought to myself left right left right.
What would you do differently?:

This is all in hind sight...

Not eat chocolate the week before the race. I never eat chocolate and I had what I would consider a lot.
Maybe not drink as much alcohol 2 nights before the race.
Respect the mileage more-I thought since I did 21 without much pain surely I could do 26. I thought those people telling me how the race would be different and there would be times when you would want to quit were full of it. I thought to myself what's 5 more miles. ha
Run faster.

Post race
Warm down:

walked back to hotel, but it wasn't warm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i did.

Event comments:

This is by far the best and hardest thing I have ever done and I hope to have many more challenges ahead. I'm glad I could share this experience with great people who have now become more to me than running buddies-they are true friends.

Last updated: 2006-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
04:33:13 | 26.2 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Course was what I expected. It was a good course-even with the dry spot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-10-24 3:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2006-10-24 4:27 PM
in reply to: #577526

Regular
San Luis Obispo, CA
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
Great Job!
2006-10-24 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine WI
Nice job fellow "first timer". Sounds like you had a couple of issues to deal with along the way and yet you still finished strong! I did the left-right-left thing too that last 1.5 miles and all I really want to know is: who put that mountain of a hill in the last 600 meters...haha. Great run, congratulations on finishing the first of many!
2006-10-25 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Great report Amy, Great weekend, and definitely, GREAT RACE. You ran strong. I can't wait to train with you some more. You are an awesome friend. 
2006-10-25 9:45 AM

User image

I couldnt be prouder of your run...even with aches and pains that you arent used to--u perservered through it all. My favorite part of your day was when u kept saying that October 22, 2006 was the best day of your life....that was so great to hear. Glad I could be there to share it with u! Can't wait for the next one!
2006-10-25 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Congratulations on an amazing run, Amy!  Also, congrats on completing your first marathon.  Isn't it awesome when you look back and see how much you have accomplished over the past 6 months?  Take some time to revel in it.

Sounds like you learned lots of things over the course and you can only take those forward.  Seriously - everyone of them gets easier from here on out.  Congratulations again and great job!

2006-10-26 10:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Congratulations on completing a marathon.  Regardless of whether it is your first or your 50th just being able to put one foot in front of the other  for 26 miles, 385 yards is absolutely amazing.

I hold people like yourself in high esteem for completing something that is so grueling and demanding!

Once again, congratulations and keep up the great dedication and work.

2006-10-26 5:06 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

CONGRATS!  Judging by our times we must have gotten close as some points during the race.  You did GREAT-and will do many more, I am sure

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed