Inside-Out Sports
49F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 11m 12s
Overall Rank = 487/643
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 43/47
Pre-race routine:

I took a Claritin before going to bed so that I would not have allergy issues at the race. Unfortunately, it caused me to wake up at 3:30am and not get back to sleep. At least I had the Kona coverage to watch while I laid in bed.

Rolled out of bed at 5:30 to have breakfast of cheerios and water.

Drove to the race site and picked up my packet. I was happy to get a t-shirt since it wasnt guaranteed.
Event warmup:

Ran around the parking lot a bit to warm up the legs.

Listened to teh iPod to get a good tune in my head.
Run
  • 2h 11m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out trying to keep the pace down and was averaging 10 min/mile through the first 3 miles, until we turned onto the path around the lake.

Once on the path, I allowed myself to pass a few people, but kept the exertion managable and my pace ponytail was within catching distance. As we turned from the lake onto the dirt path, I allowed myself to go with another group that was moving up. We were under the cover of trees, but I could feel the rain start around mile 5.

The dirt path was rocky in spots and the arches of my feet started to get sore just after the turnaround.

As we emerged from the tree cover, the rain really started to come down. The temperature had never really climbed from the high 40s and I was glad that I had my bike jacket.

After the turnaround, I started to push the pace a bit which was good since I hadn't realized how hard the finish was going to be.

After mile 10, we turned back onto the streets of Cary the rolling hills started. At mile 11, it turned from rolling hills into a pure climb to the finish. 2+ miles of uphill to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Normally, I would say that I should have scouted the course better, but I think I would have been really cautious if I had known about the 2 mile uphill finish. Not knowing allowed me to push myself early enough that the finish was grueling and I felt like I had left everything on the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked the 1/2 mile from the finish line back to the starting point to my car.

The rain was starting to come down and, after stopping running, I started to get cold.

Got to the car and changed into some dry clothes before heading to Cracker Barrel for a well-deserved breakfast.

Last updated: 2006-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:11:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 0/643
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills for 1st 3 miles Run along Lake Crabtree for 2 miles Turn onto dirt path to turnaround Final 2 miles all uphill
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-10-25 9:46 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Inside-Out Sports Classic

2006-10-25 10:27 AM
in reply to: #578196

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Classic
WOOO! Cracker Barrell!
2006-10-25 10:53 AM
in reply to: #578196

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Classic
I would like to know who thought the two mile hill was a good idea at the end. Good job on your race. I definitely subscribe to the ignorance is bliss theory for course knowledge!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Classic Rss Feed