General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arg Achilles! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-25 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
New York,
Subject: Arg Achilles!
So I have been running for a couple of months and I have just had my first running injury. I have been so pumped for getting in shape for my first triathlon in the spring that I over did it. I was running alot (3 miles per day - 3 days on - one day off) but then I upped it to 4 miles. Felt fine the first couple of times but then I started trying to get my pace down. (See:
http://scottradny.motionbased.com) In doing so, I aggravated my achilles. Havent run for one week now and am itching to get back out there.

This has lead me to hit the gym and get on the bike (don't own one yet -still figuring out ways to find the $ for it ) and also using the elliptical trainer then stretching sans ankle. One day bike, next day elliptical. Going to begin swimming next week as well (swim coach - more $- somewhere someone in this site did state this sport was $$$$ - no kidding!

I have read posts about other people getting this injury and I have also read about how to treat it (ice, Aleve, ice, Aleve, etc -- concerned about taking anything such as Aleve before I run - read that its not a good thing to do) Anyone have an idea as to when they think I could get back outside before old man winter rears his ugly head? Can anyone comment on what has worked for them for this type of injury? Medications taken?

Sorry for so many questions but I need to know so I dont make the same mistake twice.

-- Proper preparation prevents poor performance! In my case, I didn't follow my own adage!

Thanks in advance.

2006-10-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: #579150

User image

Subject: RE: Arg Achilles!
Rest, ice and stretching (your calves). I've had a nagging achilles problem for a year now - so I'm not running on it until Jan. You really want to nip this one in the bud.
2006-10-26 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

I would love to hear some success stories about this.  I injured my achilles in July.  Took 2 weeks off on my own.  Did all the stretching and icing I read about.  Tried to run again and it still was sore.  Took 4 weeks off.  Then started physical therapy which has helped a lot at first, but now I've seem to hit a plateau.  I've been going to physical therapy for a month and a half.  I can't jog more than about 5 minutes at a time.

My biggest frustration is really understanding why I got injured.  I was running 3 days a week (never two days in row), crosstraining 2-3 days, taking at least one day off of everything and only running 10-12 miles/week.  I was doing a lot of stretching because I had plantar fasciitis last year and that was part of my therapy then.  My PT is amazed I got injured too.  I just wasn't doing that much.  ARGH!

Anyway, I could really use a story from someone who got through this injury.  Mentally it is really wearing on me.

Sorry for kind of hijacking this post, but thought I would post my experience and bump the thread to the top.

2006-10-26 9:06 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
are you people sure it's the tendon and not the soleus?

(just an idea - a cramped up soleus will feel like the achilles tendon is injured)
2006-10-26 9:16 AM
in reply to: #579480

User image

Master
State of Confusion

awol - 2006-10-26 9:06 AM are you people sure it's the tendon and not the soleus? (just an idea - a cramped up soleus will feel like the achilles tendon is injured)

Good point, which is why stretching is so important. BUT, don't overdo the stretching if the tendon is already aggravated.  I've had a nagging achilles for years after breaking my ankle (while trail running-watch out for those tree roots!) and at one point I had to quit running completely for 6 months. Now I just make sure I have good shoes, keep myself flexible, don't over do the running (alternate sports a lot), ice down and I take ibuprofen when it starts acting up.  Just remember to listen to what it's telling you so it doesn't become a chronic injury like mine has.

2006-10-26 9:17 AM
in reply to: #579480

User image

Regular
New York,
awol, thanks for the reply. Maybe it is the soleus as you say. The pain is right behind the ankle bone on the outside of the foot. I guess it is in between the tendon and the ankle bone. Sorry but I am a programmer not a doctor, dont know how I could describe it better unless I could write it in code Foot in mouth. Hope this gets us further in determining a solution.

2006-10-26 9:37 AM

User image

SF Bay Area, Mountain View
hey, i'm a programmer, too. (at least i was. getting a bit burned out...)

try this, (but careful - i'm just playing doctor on the internet here)

dig your fingers into your calf, about a third up from the ankle and test around. if it's the soleus then you'll sooner or later find the 'ouch' zone. you'll know it when you find it.

but even if that's not the problem - massaging your soleus won't make it worse!
2006-10-26 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois

I cured my Achilles problem within 10 days when I had a problem. I started to run barefoot more often on the grass. It hurt initially and I wasn't running very far a half mile to a mile. It really helped stretch the whole lower leg. I slowly increased my distance and I have been injury free since.

Here is a link that might be helpful: http://www.smiweb.org/massage_clinic/guides.html

It is a rehab place and they have illustrated exercises and stretches that are quite useful. People always say don't go barefoot it is the worst thing. If you want to stretch your muscles it is the best thing.

2006-10-26 11:57 AM
in reply to: #579753

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Rowdy - 2006-10-26 12:00 PM

People always say don't go barefoot it is the worst thing. If you want to stretch your muscles it is the best thing.

I thought of you immediately when I made this post.    I am definitely going to try barefoot running (I have the perfect spot!), but it will have to wait until warmer weather.  Of my many issues, I have Reynauds and I can just see running in the cold grass triggering an episode.    Going barefoot helped my plantar fasciitis when I had that (even though the conventional wisdom is to wear shoes all the time).  I LOVE walking around barefoot!

Mine is definitely achilles.  I had a nice knot palpable on the tendon about 1-2" above the heel when the whole thing started.  At this point, I can BARELY feel where the knot was anymore.  My biggest problem is just being impatient.  I am middle aged and have ciruclation problems in my legs anyway.  Things just don't heal as fast as they did 10-20 years ago.

2006-10-26 12:20 PM
in reply to: #579831

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
drdi - 2006-10-26 11:57 AM

I thought of you immediately when I made this post.    

It is nice to be thought of.  All I can say is that I have had a positive reaction to running barefoot. I had zero injuries this year while running. I take that back, I did have one injury. When I tripped in March while wearing shoes and tore something in my shoulder. But that will soon be taken care of.

2006-10-26 3:14 PM

I have chronic achilles problems in both legs. I completely severed one of them and had surgery to repair it.

My best advice would be to buy good shoes. When I switched to Asics gel kayanos a few years ago my problems dropped off dramatically. Second would be to buy replacement shoes sooner rather than later. Usually, achilles pain is a sign I need a replacement. My pain disappears with a replacement pair of shoes. Third, I would say don't ignore what your body is telling you. If it hurts, lay off. Lay off a little longer than you think you should. I did a sprint and my achilles flared at mile 1 of 3. I was stubborn and ran (limped) through it. I ended up limping for 6 weeks. Lesson learned. You can always spend more time biking a swimming instead of running.

2006-10-27 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Been there done that a few years ago, I suffered with sore heels, calfs, achilles until one day I popped my Soleus.  Heel striking leads to achilles/Soleus muscle/Shin issues.  Suggest you look into changing your running form/style (aka Chi or Evolution running). 

I have some PDF files I've sent to others about achilles/Soleus muscle issues.  If you would like them send me a PM with your email address.

2006-10-28 8:40 AM
in reply to: #580258

User image

Regular
New York,

Yep, I made sure that I purchased proper running shoes before I even embarked on my maiden run. I am currently using Asics Gel Nimbus VII. So far so good. I do keep one shoe a little looser than the other because one foot is slightly longer/wider than the other. My next pair may be the Kayanos as I have read a great deal about them and most people seem to have nothing but good things to say about them.

Thanks for the feed back. Wink

Edited by scottradny 2006-10-28 8:41 AM
2006-10-28 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Earlier this summer my achilles started bugging me when I got into running. I'd take a few days off but when I started running again, it would start bugging me. After some research, I found an article on achilles tendonitis and how to treat/prevent it. I can't find the exact page I used before, but this is the exercise I did:

http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/injuries/foot_&_ankle/eccentric_stre...

There's a video on there too. I also did this exercise on flat ground... and found that you get a similar movement/feeling by walking backwards (ensuring that you place the ball of your foot on the ground first and slowly lower your heel). The key is concentrating on the eccentric movement (slowly lowering your heel) to get the most out of it.

Again, I'm no doctor and I have no clue if you have a similar injury... but this is what worked for me.

Oh yeah, a few months later I adjusted my form (I read ChiRunning and took some pointers from it) and haven't had any running-related injuries (knock on wood).
2006-10-29 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
I injured my soleus last April. Man what a killer this injury is on your running milage. If you look at my logs and run totals from late April on through up unitl maybe August you will see the progression of how I increased my run work. It's very slow and very cautious.

Unfortunately, the only thing for you to do is to ice and rest and repeat. I used motrin to take the swelling down. According to my doctor I had a mild tear of this muscle. If you were to see blood and bruising under your skin in the days just after the injury then you more than likely really did some damage. I didn't have this happen. I took about a month off and then did some light running and raced in the middle of June and the rest of the summer. I will say that I tried to get back on my legs too soon though. Maybe 2-3 weeks after the injury. Then I needed another month of straight rest. Big mistake.

Make sure you take the time to rest, don't try to run until you can walk without any pain.

I am just starting to get the confidence back to put in longer solid runs and much higher miles.

My recommendation would be get to a doctor. When I posted on here with your similar question the best advice I got was to get straight to a doctor....

Good luck.

Any questions feel free to contact me.
2006-10-29 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
Kelowna
Yoga helped me to get away from all the pain I used to get in my Achilles when I ran.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arg Achilles! Rss Feed