United States
Sommer Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 05m
Overall Rank = 256/380
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Got to the lake just as the full iornman took off. I was in the last wave at 8:50 so I had a while to wait. Breakfast was almonds, rasins, banana, 2 powerbars, and lots of water.
Event warmup:

Set up the bike and got my chip. There was a swing set on the beach by the lake, so Leia and I went on the swings until it was about time for my wave.
Swim
  • 33m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went pretty well. We all took off and the water was like a redish iced tea. I think I swam ok and didn't overdo it. On the way back to shore I had no idea where I was going, because the sun was right in our eyes. So I just kept people to the left of me and followed them in.
What would you do differently?:

Not have grabed somebody's wetsuit butt while swimming. It felt like a dolphin though.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I got going out of the water alright and took off pretty fast. Just put everything that was in my helmet on me.

Nothing. I got the fastest transition in my AG.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out nice and easy and comfortable. It was very sunny and hot but I just kept going. After about an hour on pretty nice roads with very little hills my avg. was 21.3, which I was happy with. At about and hour and a half I ate my kashi granola bar while on a slight downhill for a little while. Then there was a big hill, and being from Daytona it was steep but I remember people saying how steep sugarloaf was so I figured I'll get up and and be done. As I was climbing a guy doing really well said comon' just 3 more! Turns out there were more and more big hills to come. The dreaded sugarloaf was bad, but I had steam at the top still and passed quite a few people as they put too much effort in the begining of the hill. At the top there were people with drinks and I had a water that someone handed out. The way back from sugarloaf people were going slower and I took it easy too. Still a half marathon to go right?

Take in more fluids. I drank two bottles of gatorade and at least two more waters, but it was soooooo hot that I should have taken in even more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

As I sat down to put on my shoes I knew that my legs were tired but up I went out of T2.

Stay sitting in T2 forget running.
Run
  • 3h 32m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 16m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I got out of T2 jogging (barely) and told Leia that I may be awhile. She said Ok take your time and I guess I did. I jogged to the first aid station and then I said to myself the only way I am going to finish is if I walk and jog when I can. During the first aid station I stoped and took in everything. I had a marathon bar, 2 gatorades, a water, plus I put some gels in my suit. I jogged out of the first aid station only to walk right away. Everytime I tried to jog I couldn't breathe and I started getting lightheaded. So I walked and joged until around mile 5. Saw a BT'er or two in uniform out there pass me. Every aid station I took in all fluids I could, and still I couldn't get going again. Finally a guy speedwalking passes me while I am attempting to jog. So I started trying this speedwalking thing. It worked for a long time. Until around mile 10. I was having trouble just walking. My heart was going fast and I couldn't breathe. It was sooo hot. I made it until about 250 yards from the finish. I could have hit a 3wood to the finish, but I couldn't walk or see. All these black spots were clouding my sight so I bent over trying to get some air but when I picked my head back up again I just about fell. I really wanted to finish so I sat in the shade as people passed. I couldn't pick my head up so I just saw sneakers go by. I kept trying to get up, but everytime I did I just about fell over again. So about 15-20 minutes go by (I really have no idea though) and I could stand but not walk so good. I was still breathing really fast but I just put one leg infront of the other. I saw Leia there just in front of the finish and she was worried but I stoped and said where's Mark and she let me know that he had an accident but is ok and just a few feet up I saw Mark and asked if he was Ok and he was so I just kept moving to the finish. I tried to get a little movement to the finish since I wanted a good picture.

Not ran. It was so hot, so many people dropped out and had real problems. I just never train in the heat in the middle of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Fell over and rested on the ground. A tri-gator started puking next to me and Leia had me move so the puke wounldn't roll on the ground toward me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The HEAT

Event comments:

It was a nice race, just not a nice day. Plenty of water, gatorade, and snacks. So many people had so many medical problems. I probably should have gone in the med. tent but I knew they wouldn't really be able to help that much. No one at the finished asked if I was alright (a first for me). The post food was some some drinks and some sandwhiches but the flys got to the food before I could. I really have the most respect in the world for all of those people who finished. If you finished this you are awesome. I can't imagine the full.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:40 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 0/380
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course: A triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:54:01 | 56 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/17
Wind: Little
Course: HILLY
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:32:43 | 13.1 miles | 16m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Performance: Bad
Course: Hot, really really really hot. You go out a ways from the lake and then go back to the lake to run around that. There is no shoulder around the lake so cars are comming at you.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %ALOT
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-26 1:07 PM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: Florida Challenge Triathlon

2006-10-26 1:58 PM
in reply to: #579957

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Florida Challenge Triathlon
You finished dude, that is awesome. Great job.
2006-10-26 7:30 PM

New user

Annapolis
Hey Dude, I think I remember you passing me in the last part of the race. I was the dude wearing a boonie hat, and a marathon of the palm Beach white T-shirt in your age group. You definately looked like you felt better than I did when you passed me, so if you felt bad you covered it up well.

Good Job in finishing a tough race.

Rip
2006-10-26 7:49 PM
in reply to: #580522

User image

Regular
Long Island
Anybody I passed near the end, surely passed me right before the finish cuz I was just sitting there on the right side of the sidewalk with my head btw my legs. What was your time? Right at the finished I tried to look like I was running for the camera.
2006-10-27 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!
good job finishing it was hot ...i should have done the half...
2006-11-25 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Great Job Mikey

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Florida Challenge Triathlon Rss Feed