General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone at Vineman 1/2 IM today? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-01 7:28 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Subject: Anyone at Vineman 1/2 IM today?
If so, I was the crazy woman screaming and clapping on the corner at the entrance to Windsor HS where bikers came in, runners came out and runners came in......

Awesome place to yell, cheer, clap, scream, encourage.....

A couple times I got chills, an adrenaline rush and moist eyes as I saw people giving it their all coming in the home stretch. It was a truly beautiful sight.

At one point I saw a guy come around the corner, less than 1/4 miles from the finish, and stop running. Me and my girlfriend just started screaming our heads off..."Go 9-1-8...let's go!!!! You're almost there!!!!" The cool thing was he heard us and started running again. I watched him down the driveway and he continued to run.....It was such a cool feelling to see...and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside....wondering if maybe we had made a difference to one person, given them that extra push to finish strong....

I've had encouragement like that before and it meant a lot....someone I didn't know, noticing me, giving me encouragement. It was so cool to be able to give that back to all these participants today...calling out their numbers, clapping, yelling encouragement...We got a couple waves, smiles, thumbs up and one or two grimaces...haha

Damn, I can't wait for this race next year. I am so there.

Edited by crpadiem 2004-08-01 7:29 PM

2004-08-01 7:31 PM
in reply to: #42399

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Anyone at Vineman 1/2 IM today?
You will DOMINATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2004-08-01 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
We were there! We hung out at the bike transition for a while and then moved to the finish chute. I love cheering the folks on!

One poor man got a severe leg crap just at the top of the finish chute, but the crowd went nuts and he managed to keep running! It's very inspiring to see people pushing so hard!

I'm eager to hear how Dana did. Eric (the BF) didn't race.

I'm sooooooooooo doing this race next year!
2004-08-01 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Right on! You and me both....

Hey, did you see the guys who came in with the nasty road rash?

We saw one guy bike in with half the back of his shirt ripped off....another 2 had shoulders and right sides of their backs that looked like hamburger helper...and they were still racing!!!! I heard some of the race volunteers saying the morning had been more "exciting" than they had expected....

hope no one got hurt.

and yes, can't wait to hear how Dana did!

2004-08-01 10:17 PM
in reply to: #42445

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
crpadiem - 2004-08-01 6:46 PM

Hey, did you see the guys who came in with the nasty road rash?

We saw one guy bike in with half the back of his shirt ripped off...
and yes, can't wait to hear how Dana did!

That guy was standing next to us by the transition area. I overheard him say he had been hit by a truck. WTF??

I saw a couple of folks come through the finish chute with total road rash... and a couple of guys with what looked like severe nipple damage! Yikes! One poor woman ran hard down the finish chute and then collapsed just after stopping. They practically had to drag her out of the way of other runners. After they iced her down good, she managed to walk away, but it took several minutes.

The best, as usual, were the folks running to the finish with their kids. So cute!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone at Vineman 1/2 IM today? Rss Feed