Australia
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 17s
Overall Rank = 394/575
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 74/95
Pre-race routine:

Start of daylight saving, so I had to get up at 4:00am, 3:00am according to my body clock.

Tried this new liquid breakfast stuff that I got from the supermarket yesterday. Seemed to work well. Didn't get a chance to have a cup of coffee.

Packed up the car for the hour drive to the race site. Very funny on the drive, as a saw a lot of people coming out of the nightclubs and pubs, totally pissed and I was on the way to swim 1km, bike 30km and run 10.

Got the the race site and didn't realise how far away the car park was from the transition and registration. Acutally didn't know were registration was so just followed everyone else.

Got there way to early, took about 5 mins to register, set up transition and everything by 6:15 and my wave was starting at 7:30. Walked around at bit, went to the toilet, Which is very difficult when you have a tri suit under your track suit.

Got into my wet suit at around 6:45 just for something to do and walked down to the start.
Event warmup:

Nothing.
Swim
  • 20m 10s
  • 1000 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I've never swum in the open water for a race, and as it was a straight line swim you could see just how far 1km is. It's just not the same as 20 lenghts of a pool. I was just thinking you have to be joking, the end of the swim looked miles away.

Had a new wet suit for the swim, and had only used it once, that was yesterday, and I could not believe the difference it made to my swimming. I was relaxed the whole time, breathing was good and my stroke had good rhythm. Didn't get to draft anyone. Navigation wasn't so good, sort of snaked along the course. Happy with the time as my previous best for 1km in the pool was a 22:10.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my navigation, swam abit further than what I should have.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No time for transition (included in bike time), and didn't start my watch. Transition was ok, found my bike quickly and had a good spot near the bike entry exit. Decided to wear socks, I was going to put them on before the run but decided at the last minute that I may as well get the benefit on them on the bike as well.

Have to be honest, I don't really remember much about the transitions, sort of go in to auto pilot.

Practice taking off wet suit.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 56s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.06 km/hr
Comments:

I'm always happy when I get on the bike, it's my favourite discipline, and I always feel very confident about pacing and what I'm doing.

Bike started out well, was passing a lot of people from the start, and wasn't really pushing that hard. One part of the loop was wide enough for only two bikes so I got held up a little bit as the elites were passing us on their second loop so it was actually difficult to get right to pass.

On the second loop, there were a series of 90 degree turns which we didn't go though on the first loop. Went a little bit silly trying to catch someone and ended up running a little wide on to the grass. I was realy suprised how many people who have tri bars and don't use them. I have to get some as it gets a hard riding on the drops for 30kms.

Actually held a pass that I thought was too fast for the entire 30 kms

Not much,
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 is my favourite, I quite like the dismount, and my tri coach gets us to practice t2's alot. I would have passed 6 or 7 people at the dismount line alone.

Had a little bit of trouble racking bike, tried to rack handle bars first , didn't work first time so racked by the seat.

Check that the bike will rack by the handle bars before the actually race.
Run
  • 52m 11s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 13s  min/km
Comments:

I'm not a good runner, I see running as an inconvience to get to end.
My best 5 km TT on the track is a 26:48, I have never run 10km before, even in training so I really thought that I would suffer during this run.

Mentally I just thought run 5 km as a training run, which would be the first loop. Then just think all you have to do is run another 5 km, so it shouldn't be that hard.

This sort of worked, ran the first 5 km easy, and felt really good the whole time, I've noticed lately that when I'm running well my steps are in time with my breathing.

I was a bit naughty, as a ran though the two drink stations on the first loop for a couple of reasons, I don't like slowing down to drink, and I hate luke warm water.

Started the second loop, and felt good. Got passed by Spider Man, thought to myself that my little boy would have gotten a buss out of seeing Spider man passing dad.

Someone tried to pass me who was running a simliar speed as me. A picked up my pass a little and we ran side by side for about 2kms. I was facinated by the beat the two sets of feet made running side by side and I was trying to think of a song that fitted the beat. The kept my little head amused, I didn't think about how much I was beginning to suffer.

I got the last 2 kms, and I was starting to suffer a bit, running form was getting worse, and I was really just thinking about the end. Couldn't catch anyone and all I was thinking was that all I had to do was run 10 and a bit more minutes.

Had a pattern of looking at my watch, running looking at my watch, got down to last KM and tried to pick up to pace a little but had no gas.

Eventually, I could see to finsh line, heard my name called out. Wobbled aroung a bit as they took my timing chip and that was it.

Bit more run training
Post race
Warm down:

Collecting , T shirt, coffee cup, finishers medal, and other stuff. Had to leave straight away as I had to pick up wife and kids for a kids birthday party.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training for this distance.

Event comments:

Will do it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:10 | 1000 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 70/95
Overall: 376/575
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: We swam down the rowing course at the regatta centre, so it was a straight line swim, round one marker into transition
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:56 | 30 kms | 29.06 km/hr
Age Group: 67/95
Overall: 358/575
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Two loops of a course within regatta centre and closed roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:11 | 10 kms | 05m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 85/95
Overall: 421/575
Course: Two loops around the rowing lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-29 5:22 PM

User image

Auckland , New Zealand
Subject: Panthers Nepean Triathlon

2006-10-29 7:20 PM
in reply to: #582383

User image

Iraq currently
Subject: RE: Panthers Nepean Triathlon
Good job on your race! I'll be running my first tri in the future and I learn more every day by reading peoples RRs. Thanks for the detailed report.
-David
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Panthers Nepean Triathlon Rss Feed