General Discussion Race Reports! » The Scottsdale Halloween Adult Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Scottsdale Halloween Adult Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Scottsdale, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Up after only 5 hours of sleep! Had nothing packed or ready, either!! Had to plan my next 600mg round of Advil for 6:30 so I would be feeling it come my 8:30 start time.
Event warmup:

Jumped in the warm pool and kicked around. (Lame) It was actually overcast and the morning got quite colder with the coldest time around 8am, then it seemed to start to warm up. Bike computer said 70.
Swim
  • 06m 52s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

My coach told me to use my legs more than normal to try to save wear and tear on my rib. My breathing was sort of all over the place. I was sometimes breathing every 3 strokes, sometimes every 2, etc.... Just basically doing what I had to do to get through it. My rib actually didn't really hurt. I think I just have to think about too many other things while swimming, that I couldn't even think about it. The Advil and warm water probably helped too!! My coach's start time was about a half hour after mine, so she was there at the side of the pool telling me to take a breath and push off. I mostly listened! :-) Again, need to continue working on my breathing and keeping cool! Swim time includes the run out of the pool ramp and out around the corner to the parking lot. That's where the first chip timing mat was. Was 9th in the swim for my age group. (So much room for improvement!)
What would you do differently?:

I need to focus my swimming efforts during practice on moderating my breathing, and building up my endurance.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

So here's my first "racers brain" mishap. You know...where your brain starts to get mushy and you don't always think straight...like forgetting to take your helmet off as you start on the run? Well, my coach told me to tuck my swim cap into my suit so I could adjust my pony tail as I am running out of the pool. (Have to move it down for the bike helmet.) So I have no waist band in my new one piece suit, so I sort of tuck it in my neck hole. Well, as I go through everything in T1, I forget to remove the swim cap. (Stay tuned to find out when I finally realize this!)

Um....remove the swim cap from my neck hole!!!
Otherwise it went well. Clipped in easily, and was on my way.
Bike
  • 36m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike. I realized that I SO need aero bars! My current positioning is causing me to get a knot in my back behind my shoulder blade, but when I get in aero position, I don't have that. Using the new shoes worked well. Last 2 turns were somewhat hampered by some guys who wanted to do the tight bike lane wide turns as a group. Guy in front of me slowed way down and caused us all to slam on our breaks. For the second turn I just powered in front of them and lead the turn. Much better! My bike time was 3rd best in my age group!!! (Moving up!) Rib kept quiet for the most part. Fastest speed was 23.6!

Be faster?
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Boy! The legs were super jello! Took a few extra seconds just to grab my ankles behind my butt and stretch my quads just a little before running. T2 went well, though.

Realized maybe at THIS point that the swim cap was still hanging out of my neck hole....but no.
Run
  • 26m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

As I took off on the run I was once again reminded that my running has suffered over the past few months, and I SOOO need to start running more! Again, just such a battle to control the breathing and just make it!!! So as I am rounding the first curve, and right in front of a mass of people, I reach down to unzip my suit a bit, and I think "What is bulging out of my neck hole?" I look down and discover my freaking swim cap!!!! OMG!!! I pull it out, but then wonder what the heck I am going to do with it!!! Just then I remembered that my tri suit had a pocket in back, so I stuffed it in there!! What a dork I am!!!!! However, I finished 2nd on the run in my age group. (Again, moved up a notch!) Rib gave me the most trouble in the run, but it was manageable.

Train more for the run!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, then walked right over to the snack table and had myself a big ol' chocolate cake doughnut! I love doughnuts! I figured if there was ever a day where I could eat a doughnut, it should be the day that I just burned over 700 calories doing a Tri!!!! I deserved that freaken doughnut!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Only getting 5 hours of sleep did not help.

Event comments:

WOOOO HOOOO!! Can you believe it? I got 3rd in my age division!!!! Rib finally started to let me hear it after the race. I will ice it a lot to day, and start backing off the mega doses of Advil. Next race PHX New Times 10k??? Next Tri on Thanksgiving morning???? We'll see.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:52 | 300 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 12 back and forth serpentine laps.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:53 | 12 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/18
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 mile course - had to do 4 laps for 12 miles.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:46 | 03 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Performance: Average
Course: 3 mile out and back run on cement through a greenbelt/park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-10-29 5:30 PM

Pro
AZ
Subject: The Scottsdale Halloween Adult Triathlon

2006-10-29 6:16 PM
in reply to: #582388

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-10-29 7:14 PM

Mesa
Subject: RE: The Scottsdale Halloween Adult Triathlon
Good job 3rd place medal getter! Thats a pretty good time too!

I think you should be proud of me... as tired as I am I read the whole race report.... I even DNF'd on eating a sandwich with the guys at 3:30. (oh wait... after I finished I had 15 red licorice, 7 pieces of pizza a pepsi, a water, and 4 guinness)

Anyway... great job!
2006-10-29 7:20 PM

Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Great job!! I have done this race for the last 3 years and this was the first year I wasn't able to do it. 

Congratulations on the medal win!

2006-10-29 7:41 PM
in reply to: #582444

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Great job!!! Look at you...

From not being able to swim to getting hardware in her first season!!!

2006-10-29 10:40 PM

Expert
You must be very proud of yourself for doing so well! Not only that but with an injury! Congratulations you deserve it!

2006-10-30 8:07 PM
in reply to: #582533

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
And this is only your second????  Too Cool!!
2006-10-30 9:00 PM

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Great job on the race and doing so well in your AG! The part about the swim cap made me laugh out loud!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Scottsdale Halloween Adult Triathlon Rss Feed