General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Time Cut Off Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-02 11:03 AM

Subject: Race Time Cut Off
I have been training for the past couple months for an offroad triathlon this coming Sunday. This will be my first tri. The running and swimming are going great, but the biking part is a little harder. The time cut off at T2 is 3 hours and 15 minutes. The swim is .5 mile and the mountain biking portion is 15 miles. My training consisted mainly of road biking because there arn't many mountain biking trails close to my home. I did manage to do the actual biking trail for the race last Saturday and did ok, however I am worried that it will be a little too close to the time cut off during the actual race. Has anyone run into this before? and as far as the cut off times, how strict are they usually?

2004-08-02 11:39 AM
in reply to: #42576

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Race Time Cut Off
I'm not a MTN biker, but looking at the times, if you swim a 15 min .5 mile. Would it take you 3 hours to ride 15 miles? That would be 5 mph. I would hope there would be a downhill in there somewhere . I think they put in time cutoffs so they can open roads and cut loose volunteers, etc. I think most races stick to their cutoffs, but if you are close I bet they would let you continue.
2004-08-03 8:15 AM

That's a good point. I am predicting about a 20-25 min swim, but I can make that time up by sprinting during the first 3 miles of the bike part, which is mainly flat trails. It will still be pretty close, but I'll just do my best. Thanks.
2004-08-03 9:02 AM

Becareful about going out too fast on the first part of the bike. You do not want to use up all your energy for the later part of the stage.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Time Cut Off Rss Feed