General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less intense workouts = eating fewer calories? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-30 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca
Subject: Less intense workouts = eating fewer calories?

Hi all.  Just like everyone else here...I'd like to lose weight.

Probably about 10 lbs to start & then see how I feel around 110 - 115 (I'm short!).  I'm usually around 120 without much effort (due to my tri lifestyle), but I'd like to lose some fat to see if that improves my performance next season (and b/c I'm getting married in 07).

I'm torn because I feel like when I train/exercise with a lot of intensity, I'm really hungry afterwards and find it difficult to keep my calorie count down.  I'm toying with the idea of doing more walking, yoga and less intense biking/running/swimming so I don't get that starving feeling after my workout - AND - so I don't feel like I have to eat enough prior to my workout to have sustained energy.  I've been reading that people are most likely to lose weight through a combination of reduced calories + working out -> NOT just exercise alone. 

I've just started actually logging my food intake, so I think that will help, but I don't do well with that "starving tummy feeling."  I've recently started back up working out after a couple of weeks off (travel, school, etc) and am doing the lower intensity thing so far.  Just not sure if that's the "right" thing to do & would like to hear your advice & thoughts...

Kirby

Edited by kirby 2006-10-30 7:30 PM

2006-10-31 8:32 AM
in reply to: #583649

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Less intense workouts = eating fewer calories?
Well there is some truth that we can overtrain to weight lose. Most people I know will gain weight doing marathon training seaon. I start marathoning to lose weight and I would gain 5 lbs per marathon.
2006-10-31 8:34 AM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Howdy -

I have always struggled with my weight. I've never been obese, but been up and down 20-30 lbs and I find that exercise has been the best way for me to keep the weight off not to mention keeping my sanity and stress levels in check

Anyhow - I rarely eat prior to working out. Actually - never since I usually work out at 5 am so all I really get into my system by then is meds/vitamins and water. I do then eat a good breakfast later - whole grain bagel or cereal type meal followed by an apple or nectarine mid-morning. The only times I eat prior to working out is 1) if I do a ride or swim mid day on a Sunday (and typically we do a big brunch thing on Sundays so if I know I'm working out - I keep the chow down to a minimum because too much makes me feel sluggish or sick on a ride or in the water) and 2) when I've got an organized bike ride or a triathlon/race in the AM in which I typically eat a granola bar and banana prior to heading out.

I find that to keep the hungries at bay I've got to eat something substantial enough after a work out (a banana or toast won't cut it). And snacking helps as long as its controlled, in small portions and it's low calorie and 'good' for me i.e. - apples, or one of those little bags of cookies/snacks that are premeasued to equal just 100 calories. And water helps too - which I wish I could remember!! Because 7 out of 10 times I think I'm hungry when in fact I'm thirsty! So try drinking first before going for food.

A food log helps too. I did one on fitday.com and learned alot about my eating habits and ways to eat better.

-Sarah

2006-10-31 11:57 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Just remember that all it takes to lose weight is to take in fewer calories than you burn.  If you exercise with a lot of "intensity" you will burn more calories than if you exercise "easy".  You will need to eat more if you do the former vs. the latter.  Neither is inherently "right" or "wrong".

Your goal is still to end up with a modest calorie deficit in order to lose weight, but that deficit should be about the same (roughly 500cal/day) no matter how many calories you burn.  You should rarely have that "starving tummy feeling" if you use healthy snacks (fruits, veggies, etc.) to get you through the day and you should eat "more" after a hard exercise session ("more" being healthy foods, including carbs, and within reason of course).

2006-10-31 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
JohnyKay is right but the issue if you burn 1000 cals vs 500 cals in a day then you will want to replace those cals and when your hungary its easy to eat 500 - 1000 cals and maybe just break even.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Less intense workouts = eating fewer calories? Rss Feed