General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not so nutritional question for southern cooks... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-10-31 6:25 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: Not so nutritional question for southern cooks...
Okay - one of my FAVORITE breakfasts is Biscuits and Gravy, southern style. Can someone clue me in on how to make it right? I know how to make biscuits, but I'm wondering what type of gravy is used for them, and if there is something particularly SOUTHERN that makes them so good. Thanks for the help!!

2006-10-31 9:34 PM
in reply to: #584689

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: RE: Not so nutritional question for southern cooks...
I dont eat the stuff but when I make it for my wife I use a sausage gravy mix and pour it over the freashly baked biscuits

Edited by CBarnes 2006-10-31 9:35 PM
2006-11-01 8:22 AM

Regular
TX
I don't eat it either, because when you know how to make it, its pretty nasty. But, a true Southern cook will cook either sausage or bacon in a pan. After cooking and removing the meat, you simply add white flour and milk to the "drippings" while constantly stirring it briskly until you get the right consistency. Just add a little flour to thicken and milk to liquify until you have what you want and add salt and paper to taste. Brown gravy is just flour and drippings with no milk. I watched my mother make it many times as a kid and it is good, but I probably haven't eaten any in 15 years.

Edited by JLarge 2006-11-01 8:24 AM
2006-11-01 7:45 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
This all sounds so yummy. I'll have to give it a shot. Not something I will make very often, but it sure is YUMMY.
2006-11-02 11:42 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado

Biscuits and gravy was a tradition in my house growing up in Virginia.  Every snow day, Mom would fix it while we were sledding.  Somehow, we always ended up with about 10 kids at the house around lunchtime!

A couple of details on the gravy (ours was always sausage gravy):

You want to use the sausage in a big tube (like Jimmy Dean), not links, and brown it up like you would ground beef.  Set the sausage aside, leaving the drippings in the pan.  Stir in flour equal to the amount of drippings.  It will form a kind of thick paste (a roux).  Let this cook for a minute or two, until it looks "frothy."  This way you avoid a raw flour taste in your gravy.  Then stir in the milk.  As a general guide, for every tablespoon of flour you added, add a cup of milk.  Bring the gravy up to a boil to let the flour work its thickening magic.  Taste it to see if it needs any extra seasoning (salt, pepper, maybe sage...whatever you like).  Add the sausage back in to heat through, and spoon over your biscuits. 

Not so good for your cholesterol, but wonderful on a cold snowy day!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not so nutritional question for southern cooks... Rss Feed