General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-08-02 3:06 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: Ocean Open Water Swimming
So check this out, I'm a monster in the pool. My times in the pool are better than the times of the winning racers. I've surfed as a kid, swimteam in high school, been in water my whole life. But holy crap, swimming in the ocean is a much different animal. Running into the water to get out to the swells, no problem. I was passing people like mad as I knew how to get past the waves with surf and boogy boards. Then it came time to actually swim. You know, head down, full steam ahead right?

WRONG!

Every swell I swam into, I got to enjoy a mouthful of Pacific love. I ended up doing a lifeguard swim the entire 1/4 mile. Needless to say, I was quite tired by the end (bodysurfing in was fun though) and it obviously impacted my performance.

This was my first tri, and I'm glad that I finished and all, but man was I disappointed coming from such a strong swimming background. I now am going to join the local tri club and join in on their open water swims. I blew this training off before and I'm now regretting it. Anyhow, I hope others find this useful in some way
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ocean Open Water Swimming Rss Feed