General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My friend Al died last night... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-11-01 7:08 PM
in reply to: #585153

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: RE: My friend Al died last night...
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. What an amazing guy.

Pam

2006-11-01 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
What a great and inspiring friend you had in Al. I'm very sorry for your loss.
2006-11-01 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Bear - Thank you for sharing. It sounds like Al lived his life to the fullest and gave more back to the people around him then anyone could ever imagine. I think the biggest tribute anyone could give back would be to live life like Al did, to its fullest.

Good thought being sent your way! - Heidi
2006-11-01 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zephyrhills, FL
bear, although i dont know you on a personal level like many of the BT'ers here, i send my deepest sympathy to you for your loss....i've had 2 grandparents both battle cancer, and although god has helped them fight through, i understand the strain that it puts on you....Al sounds like an inspiration to many people, not just yourself, and i hope this upcoming race can be run in memory of Al, who sounds like a great human being
Jon
2006-11-01 7:48 PM

User image

Central Coast, CA
A story like this it makes all of my problems seem very small and gives me an appreciation for every day.

The way he was running until the end makes it seems like your friend probably passed on with few regrets in life. I would hate to go thinking I should have ran that marathon.

Sorry for your loss.
2006-11-01 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
The greatest honor you could give is to remember and pass on the inspiration and knowledge that was passed to you.

Fantastic words!

Bear, I am sorry to hear that you lost such a inspirational friend. Thank you for sharing the story with us.

2006-11-01 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

I wrote up a long reply and the internet went out, so I'll try again. Yell

Al was a very special person.  We are lucky to meet someone who inspires and motivates us.  Al did both to EVERYONE that he met.  He will be missed by all who knew and loved him.

We met him years ago through TNT.  He was one of Bear's honored patients.  He was a motivational speaker for local meetings, he never complained about his illness and always tackled it head on.  He was a fellow athlete who walked, ran, swam, and rode with many of us.  He helped and encouraged everyone he met.  He did short races, duathlons, marathons, triathlons, and bike rides with a smile on his face even when faced with chemo, blood transfusions, and too many other hard ships to mention.   His courage was awesome.

When he did MCM, his doctor was doing it also.  Doc said he was ready to help make sure he finished, but God was with Al and he did great.  He helped raise money for Leukemia and Cancer Societies and completed many other athletic events. 

When he couldn't race, he'd come and cheer everyone on even when things were rough for him.  The last time we talked he told me he wasn't going to make it this time. 

He left behind a loving family and many friends.  If tears pave the way to heaven I know he got there in record time today.  I went to Church and lit a candle for him this morning.  My heart is and will be sad for a long time. 

I will copy this post for his family and put it with their sympathy card. 

Al, we love you and you will be missed.  YOU ARE OUR HERO!Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.  Heaven got a special angel today!!!

2006-11-01 9:21 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
I am sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing your story.
2006-11-01 10:25 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado
That's a great story, Bear. Sorry for your loss.
2006-11-01 10:38 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Bear, thank you for sharing that with us.  You were lucky to have known him, and I have a feeling that he was lucky tohave known you, as well.

My heart and sympathies are with you, and with his family too.

2006-11-02 2:11 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion

So sorry to hear about your friend. Thanks for sharing Al's story, and thanks for all you've done to raise money for TNT.

2006-11-04 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

Al wanted to be cremated, so they did a memory tribute to him at the funeral home.  They had his running shoes, his race shirt and number for Cajun Cup today-he was optimistic,  banners from his races and fundraisers, shadow boxes with his first TNT Purple Jersey-which was signed by the patients who were getting Chemo at the same time that he was doing so-his medal and number, race pictures with numbers and medals, his Boston medal and picture-he was too ill to go the year he'd raised money for Cancer so they let him go the next year, framed newpaper articles about his fight for life!!!   They also had several family pictures on tables.  Then I said, "Oh I took this one and this one....." it turns out that I'd taken many of the pictures at races and sent them to Al thoughout the past several years-he was smiling in every one of them.   I gave his Mom and best friend a copy of our notes on this site.  I hope it brings them comfort and peace.    I told his Mom we really loved him.  She THANKED us for loving her child.  We were the ones who were thankful for knowing such a wonderful man. 

Thank you all for the words of comfort!!!  Run, Ride, and Swim extra miles for Al in the future!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My friend Al died last night... Rss Feed  

of 3