General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marine Corps Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, DC, Washington, D.C.
United States
Marine Corp
63F / 17C
Total Time = 5h 27m 8s
Overall Rank = 16754/34000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Day Before:
Did tour in Arlington Cemetary with Jean. Stepped off curb. Ankle buckled. Didn't fall but pain shot thru me. Tried to ignore it as we rushed to see the Changing of the Guards at the Tomb of Unknown Soldiers. By the time I caught up with Rick/Wendi I had tears in my eyes b/c I was hurting so bad. Went to their hotel and put ice on left ankle for 2 hrs while I Tiger Balmed my right hip flexor which had moved from a dull nag to incredible pain. Went to dinner with all the BTers. thanks chippy for putting it together!!!Loved sharing food with everyone and even got to grab trixie's crotch :). Got home, laid all stuff out, got to bed. thank goodness for daylight savings!

Morning of:
Got up, braided hair, had PB and Honey uncrustable and some gatorade and tylenol. Got my singlet/shorts on, went outside to check weather and went back in for underarmour pants/top.
Event warmup:

Took shuttle to metro, met up with Max and Rob (captjacksparrow), joined the thousands to Arlington Cemetary to the nearly 2 mile walk to the UPS trucks. Had to scale down wet grassy hill. Of course I should have run but wet grass and my ankle? I tried slow and slammed on my fanny.. Oh well..why not? All I could think as we were walking: my hip hurts so Fxxing bad...I am am I going to run this? I kept my mouth shut and just kept walking and tried to ignore it. Dropped off bag and waited for other BTers. We then made the additional mile it seemed walk to the start line where we had to wait over 30 minutes for some medic issue.
  • 5h 27m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 29s  min/mile

OK so I was very mentally prepared for a DNF. I really was. Since my injury a few weeks ago I had only done 4 3 mile runs...I had no idea how I would hold up. I did jog around a bit and learned the hip did not hurt running, only walking so the 8/2 thing Team Chippy was doing was not going to work for me. I knew I couldn't run as fast as them and I knew the walking would hurt too much. So I set my mind to running a slow butt pace and every 15 minutes take a 1 minute walk if I needed it. Oh and I used my walk time to pray for a different person in my family or friends that I knew had stuff going on. So my running time was for me, my walking time everyone else :)

Because of the long wait at the start, for the first time I had to pee on the course. I did it at the first stop with no line. I am glad I went then even though it took me 2 minutes to unhook all my crap in that little thing. But I noticed the potty lines were very long everywhere else. Max stayed with me bless his heart for over 8 miles and let me know he had to start walking and may not finish. As much as I hated leaving him I knew I could not start walking then and had to stay at the pace I was going at...if you look at my times I did a steady 5 miles per hour all the way until mile 21.

So when I realized I was losing Max I wasted another 2-3 minutes untangling my Ipod cord and set up music to play. This was the best wasted 2-3 minutes. It just pumped me...first time I played Ipod on a marathon and it rocked. I sang my heart out for the next 10 miles. People thought I was nuts...I didn't care...this time I didn't want to have my mid race meltdown/depression. I decided to behave like I loved every minute of it. I stuck to the 15 minute blocks..not so much b/c I wanted to walk, but it helped me chip away...and instead of thinking 'only 1/2 way there' I thought, 15 more minutes for my next break. I cheered on the marines when they cheered me on. I did walk the water stations a lot. Honestly more because I didn't want to slip on the billions of paper cups by the time slow little me got to them. Looking back, since I walked the water stations I probably didn't need to walk on the 15 too but heck I was running injured and finishing and enjoying it was my only goal.

Somewhere before mile 15 I think is when I found Rick and Wendi. After Wendi smacking my hiney for months I finally get the courage to smack her to let her know I had arrived only to do it right after her asthma attack..Uh yeah...I told her I think I am scarred for life. She was so hurting and upset at that moment all I wanted to do was burst into tears...thankfully Rick realized he was about to have 2 emotional women on his hands so summoned me to move on...
About 15 minutes later I saw the man that went down. When I passed him they were rushing and doing CPR and rescue breathing. They were shooing us away quickly. Immediately I was overcome with emotion for him and his family and started hyperventilating...all I could think was that it seemed crazy that we were all still I just prayed and prayed. I am not a long prayer but I probably prayed for him, his family and the people attending him for maybe 15 minutes...I know because it was time for me to walk again...

Got a call from my sister at mile 19 and she was amazed at how great I sounded on the phone. I was pumped. I was feeling great. This was the first time I actually kept running from miles 15-19 without any major walking. Even though I was going slow I was so grateful for some strange reason I was feeling no pain in my ankle or hip. It was like God gave me this little window of time to run pain free. I realized then as I approached mile 20 I had a chance of a 5:15 finish...for me that was a way!! I sprinted up the bridge for the 20 mile pacing map.

Then all of a sudden...out of nowhere...BAM...I got dizzy and thought I was going to pass out. I couldn't shake the feeling so I started walking and tried to retrack my nutrition. I had been steadily taking my accel gels every hour and plenty of water at the water stations. I don't hardly drink powerade cuz I just don't digest it well but I had pretzels for the salt...and then I realized I hadn't eaten any pretzels did I forget to do that? so no powerade, no salty pretzels, no salt pack and based on the salt on my body I knew I was while I was walking I starting eating pretzels and a family had gatorade for someone and gave me a cupful...It took me at least 15 minutes (so almost all of mile 21) before I felt like I could run again. The walking thing. Good because I didn't want to pass out and DNF at this point, but bad for my legs. It was too long. Everything by then was in a ball of knots. I could barely getting a running gait I moved to a 4/1, 3/2 alternating deal. It was the best I could do.

Then from out of the heavens....I heard my name...there was saint lane with sugar cookies!!! ahhh....that sent new life back into me. And then low and behold...I passed Team!!!! I was less than a mile behind them?? I thought for sure they left me in the dust hours ago and were drinking beer by then...oh it was so great to see them. Around mile 24 right when I truly wanted to cut off my limbs and everything hurt like a SOB...runnergirl called me...she was awesome...she was like: renee i am tracking you online you are still set for a PR, keep going, you are only a few minutes behind team chippy......I was so tired and just wanted to walk but she wouldn't let me. I then passed wendi and rick...running...she was not far behind me now...phew she survived my hiney slap!! and she looked fabulous...then low and behold not far behind her...I saw Max...the crazy amazing man was still out there!! I screamed...Max YOU ROCK!!!!...yeah everyone thought I was nuts...then runnergirl called me back to make sure I hadn't slacked off in the final mile...thank goodness cuz I was so tired and just hurt but she wouldn't give up on me! I stuck to the 4/1 all the way to the finish...with a PR...7 minutes ahead of my Nashville time...who knew?

I then proceeded immediately to medic tent as the ankle Gods left me and I was left with one fat ankle. It didn't hurt as much as it could have but it was big and I knew ice/elevation best thing for it.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing major. I am so happy I finished. I am so happy that for the first time I actually had a great mental attitude, all the way thru to the end. I am glad I actually enjoyed the whole race this time (ok the last few miles sucked but whatever).
Little things: If I am going to walk the water stations, don't walk every 15 minutes. Don't forget either salt, the pretzels or the powerade. Other than that? nothing!

I am really really really happy about this race. I KNOW that with 2 healthy legs, my 5 hr goal is so within reach!!!
Post race
Warm down:

After medic tent for 20 minutes or so, food and needed bag desperately. I was having the chills and wanted my sweats. By the time I found it, it was in the opposite direction of the BT gang and now that I had been sitting with ice and laying down, walking was nearly impossible...waited over an hour in line for metro back to hotel and missed the shuttle so walked 15 minutes back to hotel. Did ice bath then hot shower then sweats. I feel bad but did not join troops for dinner. I would have if it was a car ride away but it meant more shuttle, metro walking and I was officially done. While I am so grateful I finished the race, it had been a long time since a long run and I was having post race pain in a big way. I did room service and called it a night. I have to say I went to bed with my ankles pulsing...but I can't blame them....they hung in there for me and I was happy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Spraining my ankle 2 1/2 weeks before the marathon, tripping on it again the day before and the severe hip flexor pain I was having before the race...probably overcompensating for the ankle..

I just have to thank all of BT out there...this race was so much fun the whole weekend because I got to be with you all and those of you back home I knew you were rooting for amazing and grateful I am to be a part of this supportive and loving and crazy and fun group of people. It made all the difference in the world...WHOOP WHOOP!!!!!!

Event comments:

How amazing to have the marines on the course being the volunteers. I couldn't help but want to hug and thank every one of them for their daily fight for our freedom.

The sights along the way were just breathtaking and I really tried to take it all in. The finish photo at the statue was cool!

I think the post race area was congested and not well labled...No one seemed to know where the medic tent was, where the UPS trucks just seemed clogged and hard to move around but whatever, 34,000 runners...what do you expect?

Last updated: 2006-05-17 12:00 AM
05:27:08 | 26.2 miles | 12m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/34000
Performance: Good
5 miles: 59 minutes, 10 miles: 2:00, 1/2 mary 2:37, 15 miles 3:00, 20 miles: 4:02
Course: all around town. biggest hills at mile 2,3 and across final bridge and at the finish but rest pretty flat for this tennessee gal.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

2006-11-01 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2006-11-01 10:41 AM
in reply to: #585280

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-11-01 10:58 AM
in reply to: #585280

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Unbelievable job - you rock for setting a PR on a bum ankle!  Sorry I missed you and the group this weekend.  It sounds like you all had fun!  I owe you a margarita at our next common race. 
2006-11-01 12:06 PM
in reply to: #585280

Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Congrats R. Way to beat all those Marathon demons down. Keep on running. Hope to see ya at some tri's next year. 
2006-11-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: #585280

Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

You already know how much fun it was for me to hang with you this weekend...well at least you should.  You had such a great race, I just wish I could have stayed with you.  Congrats on the PR...we have to do this again when we both are healthy!

Now get some rest and let that ankle heap up!!


2006-11-01 3:18 PM
in reply to: #585280

Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

Maybe the a$$ slap is what pulled me out of the asthma attack??!!   Thanks for being my training buddy for this race and then showing me how a champion finishes!!   You freaking rock Renee!!! 

2006-11-01 3:54 PM
in reply to: #585280

Whitsett, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

What a great RR! Congrats on your new PR!

And you got to slap Wendi's a$$ too. LOL!

And grab Trixie's cookie!  OMG.   


Edited by jkbostic 2006-11-01 3:56 PM
2006-11-01 7:40 PM
in reply to: #585280

Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Awesome job Renee.  I will see you in a day.
2006-11-02 5:20 PM
in reply to: #585280

Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Way to race. Thanks for the race report- and be proud of that PR.
2006-11-02 6:04 PM
in reply to: #585280

Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Great race Renee!! You hung in there like a trooper and got a PR too!!! You rock!!!
2006-11-03 8:48 AM
in reply to: #585280

Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

Great job, Renee!! I can't believe you PR'd after spraining your ankle - you rock! Sounds like you had a fun race and a great attitude (as usual) - very cool! Now rest your ankle and hip, so you'll be ready for the 1/2 in December!

2006-11-07 3:47 PM
in reply to: #585280

Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Congratulations Renee!  Way to hang tough!
2006-11-07 5:29 PM
in reply to: #585280

Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Awesome race renee   Way to perserve thru it all
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed